Author Topic: Confused by names in death certificate  (Read 11723 times)

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confused by names in death certificate
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 July 14 08:24 BST (UK) »
Flattybasher9,
                        Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Unfortunateley a birth date for that Margaret in 1759 is far to early to be mine. It would make her nearly 100 at her death in 1855.
  However your message has led me to vary my search by leaving out the childs name I get 5 Duncan Campbells married to McNaughtan women. Four are in Perth and the one for Margaret is in Fife.
  One that really looks as if it is in the correct time frame is a birth of John  15/9/1778  parents Duncan Campbell and Janet McNaughtan Killn  Perth.
   This has certainly given me something to work on. In Margaret's death certificate her parents Duncan Campbell and Nancy McNaughtan are given as farmer . I had assumed that it was most likely in Argyll
 Thank you for your help
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 July 14 09:04 BST (UK) »
While birthplaces are often wrong on census returns, hence the need to check as many censuses as possible, the 1841 census says Margaret was born in Argyll and the 1851 census says she was born in Kilmun, Argyll.

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 July 14 11:18 BST (UK) »
GR2
        I agree, I expect that Margaret was born in Argyl, most likely in the Dunoon Kilmun Parish.
  On the off chance that the Duncan Campbell and Janet McNaughtan might have moved to Argyll from Perth, I have checked scotlandspeople for their children. They had 5 children born from 1788 to 1794 , all at Killin Perth. No Margaret in them.
       So that rules that family out.
     There is a Duncan Campbell and a Janet Campbell married at Dunoon in 1774 . The banns indicate that she was definately a Campbell giving her father's name as Archibald Campbell. This family have 2 children at Dunoon & kilmun Archibald 9/12/1774 and Colin 5/1/1777. So again I have ruled them out.
Wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline mustangwright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there Wyanga,

I have been following this thread with interest as last year I found another Death Certificate for a James Campbell a Labourer who died aged 84 in Kilmun in Aug 1856, buried in Lochgoilhead.  His Father was listed as Duncan Campbell and his Mother as Nancy McNaught.

The similarities continue as he too was a recipient of parish funds / annuitant in both the 1841 and 1851 census with his wife Margaret.  His birth town in the 1851 census was listed as Lochgoilhead.  Working backwards, this would put his birth in Lochgoilhead around 1772.

The informant at his death in 1856 was his Brother in Law Archibald McGlashan.  James Campbell and Margaret McGlashan married in Strachur in Jan 1799 and their first child Ann was born in Apr of the same year.  The remainder of their 12 children were baptised in the Kilmun parish and James was listed as a Labourer / Cotter of Cuil. 

After James died in 1856, James' wife, Margaret moved to Greenock with her Daughter and was listed in the 1861 census at 16 Hamilton Street still listed as an Annuitant.  She died in 1861 with her particulars recorded on her death record as Margaret Campbell widow of James Campbell Forrester 16 Hamilton Street Female 81 years Father Dugald McGlashan Ann McGlashan ms Sinclair Informant William Robertson son in law present.

I would love to hear from anyone else that has links to this family for ideas on where we could possibly search for further information on Duncan Campbell, Nancy McNaught(on) and any further children.

Best Regards

Sally

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 00:45 BST (UK) »
Mustangwright
  Hi Sally,
              I find your information exciting as it is the first time that I have sighted a reference to Duncan Campbell and Nancy McNaught. This surely must be the same as my Duncan Campbell and Nancy McNaughtan.
  It could be that the James Campbell and my Margaret Campbell were siblings. There is also the similarity in that both were buried at Lochgoilhead. Also their ages would have been very similar James b abt 1772 and Margaret b abt 1775
  Do you have any thoughts on " Cuil" ?
 I have interpreted it as being the same as "Coul"
Wyanga

Offline mustangwright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 04:26 BST (UK) »
Hi there again Wyanga,

I have found a map on The Scotland's Places website that shows a small farmhouse named Cuil slightly west north west of Glenfinart House which I am assuming is the farm that both Margaret and James brought their families up on.  http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/record/nls/1302/ordnance-survey-six-inch-mile-argyllshire-sheet-clxiv/os6inch

I am planning to undertake some DNA testing within my own family to try and narrow down whether I have the right Campbell family group and area.  Hopefully, a connection is found with the McKellar family.  It is all just assumptions and theories until then.

Cheers ... Sally

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 05:04 BST (UK) »
mustangwright
   Hi Sally,
               I think that i have the same map. I also beleive that the house maked as Cuil is the Coul named in the 1850 census as the residence for Peter and Margaret McKellar. He was a shepherd and there is a sheep fold marked near by.
   Interestingly in searching for Coul or Coul cottage , I had correspondence with an Alistair McLean in Arizona,now decd.  Apparently his family had lived in a house Coul cottage at Barnacabba. This particular house is not marked on that map having been built later, but he told me that as a boy he used to play in the ruins of a building where Cuil is marked on the map. I have identified the McLean's house on Google as being on the other side of the road to Barnacabber.
    I am not sure how you will fare with dna testing, as a female it will have to be a family finder test and these are really only accurate to about 4 or 5 generations. Is it Campbell or McKellar that you are researching?
   Try sending a PM to me and we can then exchange email addresses and share information
Wyanga

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 September 14 04:48 BST (UK) »
All those that have been following this thread
 The posts from mustangwright have confirmed that there was a Duncan Campbell and Nancy McNaught( an) in the 1770's period. I had begun to think that the details for her parents on Margaret's death certificate in 1855 might be incorrect.
  It would seem from both her James and my Margaret being buried at Lochgoilhead that it is likely their parents have come from that locality.
  Perhaps a smaller church from near Lochgoilhead where the records have not survived ??
  I am sure that the baptisms for James and Margaret are not in the scotlandspeople records nor is there a marriage for Duncan Campbell and Nancy McNaught (an). Nor are they on familysearch.org.
  I would like to thank all those who have responded to this thread .
  The outcome appears to be that mustangwright and I share a common ancester in the mid 1700's
of Duncan Campbell and Nancy McNaught (an). even if we have failed to find any records for them.
Wyanga

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
   I need more help.
  On checking the baptisms for Peter mcKellar and Margarets children I find that they are at Cuil which I beleive I have found near Barnacabber and Glenfinart Estate. But the others are Upper Sligrachan or just Sligrachan. All are in the Dunoon and Kilmun Parish.
  Can anyone tell me where Upper Sligrachan was in the very early 1800's ?
Wyanga