Author Topic: CAMERON to New Zealand - more info added  (Read 18473 times)

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CAMERON to New Zealand - more info added
« Reply #45 on: Friday 31 March 06 22:28 BST (UK) »

The information is on line, if you type in Archway Simple Search, you should have no trouble locating it. When emailing  Dunedin archives just send the information quoting the persons details  and all the other details for agency series etc  I included. Everything that appears on the files will be included, as for cost I have no idea, that will depend on how many pages of info there is. Good Luck

jericho
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 31 March 06 22:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you again!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Darian Zam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CAMERON to New Zealand - seeking info on Jessie Cameron, Waikouaiti area
« Reply #47 on: Monday 08 April 13 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi folks!

I would be grateful for an info/ advice which enables me to find the following relatives

Annie CAMERON b 1819 Ross & Cromarty  Annie married (unk) FRASER and had daughters Margaret b 1860 and Jessie

I'm wondering if anyone found out anything about Jessie Cameron such as birth/death/marriage details? I am seeking information on a Jessie Cameron. She was likely from Waikouaiti. I think there were more than one Cameron family there.
Roderick, Kenneth, Rory etc and the Campbells  from that area- Waikouaiti/Palmerston/Goodwood etc. I have come across a number of references to them.
The other family likely headed by an Alexander Cameron.
Jessie worked for some time at the Seacliff Asylum (Seacliff was the next town from down the coast south) probably in the late 1880s-early 1890s and she married and Alexander Aitcheson whose family were from Waikouaiti. By the end of the 1890s they were situated in Wellington.
Jessie later sued the city of Wellington and won when she tripped over a gas pipe in 1914 and became crippled. I have been going around in circles with this for ages as the is a dearth of paperwork - no marriage record, no records for their three children, unsure of dates of birth and death which gives me no leads to crack this Cameron branch of the family tree.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 11:18 BST (UK) »
Ooh these names all sound very familiar - I'll need to get back into my tree to see how they might fit - remind me if I don't get back to you quite soon (busy day today!!)

Thanks for your post - most kind.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 04:07 BST (UK) »
No, I don't know about that - thank you!

Letters of Administration suggesting he died about that date?

Have you any experience of asking about such records?  I wonder what they might let you have (and how much, LOL!)  Did you find the record online?

Many thanks again

Arranroots  ;)

p.s. modified the e-mail address you provided to prevent spamming

Hi Arranroots,

This is the link to the file you want
http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=13286144

It might pay to start a new thread with a Dunedin Archives look up and hopefully a kind chatter will view the file and take digital photos of it,the other way would be to enail a request to Archives,from memory the charge is about $25.

Cheers Janette

Offline Darian Zam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 08:11 BST (UK) »

chil
Annie   1862 - 1846
Finlay McLeod   1865  - 1920
Kenneth  1872 -1960
Donald  1876 - 1913
neil alexander  1877 - 1938
John Graham   1879 - 1947
Margaret McLeod  1882 - 1877
all of Waikaiki

Ann   x x

What is Waikaiki? Do you mean Waikouaiti - or Waitati, which was to the South of closer to Dunedin?

Offline Darian Zam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 08:41 BST (UK) »
Well the children match nicely - assuming Alick is Alexander and Rory is Roderick.

Rory was definitely Roderick Cameron's nickname. He recorded himself in the journal for the Waikouaiti Old Settler's Picnic in 1913 as Rory Cameron, and as having arrived on the ship "Pirate" in 1858, and then the year he died he did the  same as having arrived 1859. The passenger list for the Pirate of 1859 shows several Camerons aboard but whether any others were relatives is a question.

Offline Darian Zam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 09:38 BST (UK) »

I would be grateful for an info/ advice which enables me to find the following relatives

Kenneth CAMERON b 1811 Kenneth married (unknown) and had children Alick, Rory, Kenneth and a daughter

Can anyone tell me anything about how they got to New Zealand (and/or Adelaide) and what became of them?

I've been combing through stuff on this topic still trying to find how Jessie Cameron fits in. There's a lot of missing stuff so it's hard to tell if she descended from any of the Cameron kids that arrived 1858 (if at all). Obviously not from Margaret Cameron Campbell's branch, or, as it l turns out - from Alick's (Alexander's) branch. So that leaves Rory (Roderick) and Kenneth.

It looked like Alexander (Alick) was Alexander Cameron, married to Alexandrina (nee unknown). There is no marriage record in NZ indicating that they were married before they arrived. Since she does not appear in the manifest for the Strathallan in 1858 there is either no record of their marriage (not so unusual for NZ BDM for things to be misspelled or missing altogether) - or the other possibility is that Alexandrina came separately ly to NZ possibly on The Pirate with Rory (Roderick) in 1858. It is a bit curious  as to why Rory came separately as an 11 year old on a separate ship and it makes sense he would be chaperoned by  an adult. I'm getting born 1840 from other sources so I am more likely to go with that and assume the person that wrote it on the thread earlier accidentally hit a 9 instead of a 0. That would have made him around 18 when he emigrated. I'll just put it down to a missing marriage record in that case. 

Anyway this is what I have found: Alexander Cameron, 1834-1913. Native of Ross-Shire, Scotland. Retired Farmer, last address Goodwood. Wife Alexandrina Cameron 1834-1876.
Children:
First born was
Roderick  Cameron 1862-1947.
 Married Johan/Johanna Hellen Miller (Elsie) in 1898 and had a daughter Johanna Hellen in 1900, and a son Roderick Magnus Grant Cameron in 1907 (d 1971).

Then:
John 1866-
Kenneth 1865-
Alexander Jr. 1869-1888.
Margaret (Maggie) 1871-1887
George Donald (Donald)  1873-1892

All Lived in Flag Swamp, Palmerston,  Flag Swamp/Hawksbury was sort of halfway between Waikouaiti and Palmerston. Obviously that is where the farm was. Alexander Sr, Jr, Alexandrina and Maggie all  buried in the same plot at Waikouaiiti Cemetery. Alick lived in Goodwood after 1910 with Roderick and his wife on their property named "Lochinver" and that's where he died.

You weren't specific about which one of the siblings supposedly had the cafe/left for Adelaide. If you know, please tell as that will cut out at least one line of inquiry (for me, anyway).

Offline Darian Zam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 10:39 BST (UK) »
I'm also going to rule out Kenneth Forbes Cameron.
Children with Margaret Reid:

Malcolm Cameron 1895 -
Margaret Annie Cameron 1897 -
Kenneth Donald Cameron 1900 -
Finlay Alexander Cameron 1901 -
Catherine Jessie Cameron 1902 -
Florence Lilian Cameron 1904-1996
Collin Alan Cameron 1907 -
Forbes Ewen Cameron 1910 -
Jean Cecily Cameron 1911
Heather Grace Cameron 1917-2008, married William Basel Hagan (1911 - 1983), one known daughter.

That leaves Roderick. Whom I get a feeling didn't marry or have any children, so...generationally Jessie Cameron Aitcheson does not fit in anywhere in this family (she was likely born between the mid 1960s and mid 1870s) unless "Jessie" was a nickname and her government name was something else - all too common in those days and even used a lot for record-keeping. Looks like I will be starting from square one looking at other Cameron families in the area.