Author Topic: McNeil found in Kingarth-Piperhall  (Read 9257 times)

Offline Barbara E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McNeil found in Kingarth-Piperhall
« on: Sunday 06 May 07 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
Is anyone out there connected or can anyone help in tracing some background on my gt.gt.gt. grandfather and mother - Neil (Daniel)b. 1764c & Mary McNeil b.1772c  both born in Ireland and found on 1841 census in Piperhall.
They moved back down into Cumbria after this date, but am interested in finding out if they have any more connections in Scotland?

They did live in Cumbria having their family there and then suddenly pop up in Piperhall for some reason?

Thank you
Size(Cheshire,Liverpool)-Thompson(Cornwall,London)-Anderson(Sweden,London)-Burgess(Kent)-Marsden(Cumbria,Lancashire)-Robinson(Cumbria, Burnley, Lancashire)-Hope(Denham, Camberwell, London) - Dutton (Oldham Lancs, Leeds Yorks.) - Saville (Knarsboro Yorks.)

Offline Ashelm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McNeil found in Kingarth-Piperhall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara
The Neil and Mary McNeil that you refer to in your post i believe maybe my gggg-grandparents? In the 1841 Census in Piperhall living next door to Neil & Mary are my ggg-grandmother who is Jean McNeil and my gg grandfather Daniel, my ggg-grandfather Richard was not at home at the time of the census, but i can confirm that his parents were a Neil McNiel and Mary McNiel from his OPR birth record in 1814. I have always thought it strange that my ggg-grandfather Richard was an only child, so i would be very interested in anything which could confirm or deny that this Neil and Mary in Piperhall are related, and throw light on any siblings of Richard.

Looking forward to hearing from you. hopefully it is a match and we can share information.

Offline Barbara E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hello
I have nothing at the moment on this couple, in fact I had lost hope of finding possible links.
Do you have any family connections with Cumbria? Cockermouth? for your Mcneil family.
Daniel is living in Cockermouth by 1851 but alas it looks like Mary has died by then.

Hope this could match

Barbara E 
Size(Cheshire,Liverpool)-Thompson(Cornwall,London)-Anderson(Sweden,London)-Burgess(Kent)-Marsden(Cumbria,Lancashire)-Robinson(Cumbria, Burnley, Lancashire)-Hope(Denham, Camberwell, London) - Dutton (Oldham Lancs, Leeds Yorks.) - Saville (Knarsboro Yorks.)

Offline Ashelm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 September 10 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

I have not uncovered any connection with Cumbria therefore i was wondering why you think the Neil McNeil and Mary McNeil, on the 1841 census in Piperhall are connected to your Daniel in Cumbria?
However it did spark a memory. I keep all details of the previous searches i have done and on checking these images i found this 1841 census from cockermouth of a Daniel McNeil and Mary both born in Ireland, not sure if this might be your connection, i did notice that there is a henry marsden at the bottom of this census page and wondered if this is a connection for you as you have this name on the bottom of your posts.

Kind regards

Offline Barbara E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 September 10 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hello
I have been so confused with this particular line over the years but got it sorted back to 1841 as the Henry Marsden you have seen at bottom of '41 is married to my Mary Jane (nee Mcneil) but in '51 she is still in Cockermouth living with widowed father and her young brood -no sign of Henry Marsden (think he turned up in a lodging house & died of drink eventually) but - Mary Jane changed her surname to McEvoy (without a marriage- around 1853) now the Mcneil line got confused and I have a photograph of my gt grandfather in a kilt taken in a photo studio called McGeachie's in Dunoon in the late 1800's early 1900's. It had been suggested years ago to me that because the photo was taken in Scotland I should look there for links but thank you because I never saw the Daniel McNeil & Mary on the '41 in the same street as my Mary Jane (possibly because I found her first and didn't look at that page as I didn't no her maiden name at that time).
Someone sent me the link for the McNeil's in Bute and said it was common for Neil to be a short form for Daniel so putting 2 &2 together I must have come up with 5.
Thank you again and sorry for any confusion (enough I have the confusion here without passing it on eh!)

Best Wishes

Offline Ceryswyn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 January 11 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I just stumbled into a McNiel branch of my tree. Still far from anywhere in researching it but thought I'd drop a line in case it turns out to be connected.

I have an Isabel(la) McNeil that married an Alexander Wright in Sorn, Ayrshire. On her marriage it shows she is from the Parish of Kilmory. As she was married in 1789 I ran a search for a baptism over a 20 year time span and the only plausible result is for one Isabel McNiel baptised 2nd September 1764. Her parents are Donald McNiel and Isabel Dounie (sp?) and it appears to say they are "In auchenhugh" but I'm not sure I'm decyphering that correctly and have yet to figure out where it might be.
Gilbert ~ London, Essex.
Nutt ~ Sussex England, Ayrshire Scotland, Ireland.
Scully, Richards, Stepney, Goble ~ Sussex.
James ~ London, Essex, Sussex, Pembrokeshire.
Lochhead ~ Ayrshire/ Nielston Renfrewshire Scotland.
Dunn, Airdry/Airdrie ~ Ayrshire Scotland, Donaghadee Ireland.
McCreadie, McQuaters/McWaters ~ Ireland
More to follow.