Author Topic: HELP!!!!  (Read 2143 times)

Offline scots lass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELP!!!!
« on: Thursday 06 April 06 14:42 BST (UK) »
I have a James Wood who i suppose married Agnes Moor as they are on childrens birth cert,cannot find their marriage, I also have Agnes's death cert in 1861 as James as her widower he died 1890, now comes the problem I also have James remarried? to Elizabeth Irvine in 1878 he states he is a widower on that but his age is 31 I am not a mathematician but surely this cannot be, am I missing something or going round the bend, thanks in anticipation Helen
Dewar, Simpson, Wood, Pickering, Kennedy, Duff,Craig,Kidd, Martin, Moor,Reid, Pringle,McWatt.Taylor,McKillop.Paton,Porter,Prop,Ramsey,Stewart,Watson.
Perthshire. Midlothian ,Glasgow, Fife, Perthshire, Roxbugh, Middlesex.

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 April 06 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm afraid I have questions rather than answers...

When and where were the children born, and what are their names?
When do you reckon James and Agnes were born - can probably work out from death certs?
Have you traced them in the 1841, 51 and 61 census records?

All this might help work out roughly when the wedding may have taken place and might start to unravel some of the issues you are having :)

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline scots lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 April 06 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare Have ck 1861 census and they are on that but cannot find marriage the childrens names are Thomas b1836 William  b1840 Agnes b1842 Robert  b 1844 and George b1848. Agnes must have died later that year Sorry forgot to say they were born in Berwickshire Thanks Helen
Dewar, Simpson, Wood, Pickering, Kennedy, Duff,Craig,Kidd, Martin, Moor,Reid, Pringle,McWatt.Taylor,McKillop.Paton,Porter,Prop,Ramsey,Stewart,Watson.

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 April 06 22:20 BST (UK) »
James married Agnes 21/06/1847 at Makerston, Roxburghshire-I know that doesn't resolve your mystery but does part of it; the next bit... James could have lied about his age if he was marrying a considerably younger woman or the James you refer to could be a son of this union?

If you go to scotlandspeople, you should be able to find all children of above marriage and you may have even inadvertently skipped back a generation; I will see what I can find

Anne
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline scots lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 April 06 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne, think I have gone wrong somewhere, I got James and Agnes from Thomas Wood to Elizabeth Craig marr cert 1862 I also have them on 1851 census thats where I got children from just don not know where to go from here,really appreciate your help. Helen

Offline scots lass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 April 06 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi solved my problem I found James married Isabella Irvine on Nov 18 1862 on all the census she calls her self Elizabeth for some strange reason, so i set about looking for Elizabeth if only these people knew the trouble they would cause in later years, they would stick to one name. thanks again and I probally will need your help very soon. Helen

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 April 06 18:07 BST (UK) »
Good stuff-these folk can be irksome!
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden