Author Topic: michael kennedy monivea  (Read 8984 times)

Offline lbbl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: michael kennedy monivea
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Dathai,
Thank you so much - yes! That is the correct James Kennedy in Claremorris. He was posted there after Galway. I got the records from the RIC. They were incredibly helpful and quick.

Offline lbbl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: michael kennedy monivea
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 April 14 03:29 BST (UK) »
Just to tie up the ends on my post - James Kennedy, RIC service no 10996, was born in King's Co. He joined the RIC in 1848 at the age of 19. He was recommended by Sub Inspector James Butler at Shinrone. He was posted to Tynagh, Galway. He married Anne McGuire on Sept. 5, 1854. I've been able to find birth records for 9 of the 11 children (James, Patrick, Edward, Michael, Daniel, Elizabeth, Catherine, Thomas, Joseph) who were born in various towns in Galway, or in Claremorris, Mayo where he was transferred in 1878. I've managed to trace 4 (Michael, Edward, Daniel, Elizabeth) of these 9 and I'm still working on the rest and on finding the missing two.
James and Anne lived in Claremorris until their deaths in 1911 and 1912, respectively. There were some very verbose obituaries for both. They are apparently both buried in the Ballinsmalla cemetery but we've not been able to get a burial record.