Author Topic: Help with marriage - 1812  (Read 2451 times)

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help with marriage - 1812
« on: Wednesday 09 April 14 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone is able to help me trace any more details about a marriage between John Moore and Margaret French in Galway, 1812. There is a reference to it in the Gentleman's Magazine. I am trying to determine if the John Moore in question is my 4x great grandfather who was in the Royal Navy. Family lore has it that his wife's maiden name was French, so this seems likely, but is there any way I can find out for sure? Any help or ideas gratefully welcomed.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with marriage - 1812
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 23:46 BST (UK) »
As the date is before Civil Registration in 1864 you could check www.rootsireland.ie which has baptism/marriage records for various counties in Ireland. :)
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone is able to help me trace any more details about a marriage between John Moore and Margaret French in Galway, 1812. There is a reference to it in the Gentleman's Magazine. I am trying to determine if the John Moore in question is my 4x great grandfather who was in the Royal Navy. Family lore has it that his wife's maiden name was French, so this seems likely, but is there any way I can find out for sure? Any help or ideas gratefully welcomed.

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 April 14 07:41 BST (UK) »
Sadly, nothing on rootsireland....the only John Moore marriage it has in Galway is to a Catherine in 1800. No Moore-French marriages on its site.

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 April 14 20:50 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to find John Moore's will ?
The Index to Death Duty Registers records 1849 lists that the Administrator of his will was a 'Margt Moore' of Galway, and it was proved at Canterbury Prerogative Court. Presume it will contain details of his family.

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 April 14 23:57 BST (UK) »
Wow, that is very useful information. Thank you! How do I go about accessing this particular will?

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 April 14 00:35 BST (UK) »
I would try a search of the UK National Archive site or maybe post on the England board for someone who knows their way around the site to find for you. (I had a look and also on Ancestry but couldn't pin it down) There was probably a will proved in Ireland as well but that would have been destroyed so no point looking.
 The Death Duty Index record I mentioned has a UK NA ref number of IR27/58 and is also on FindMyPast.com if you have access to that. I guess it would also be an idea to follow up on the Death Duties to see what had to be paid and who was involved with that. Sorry can't be more helpful. No experience with UK wills. The Death Duty Index also contains the information that his entry is Vol 1 Folio 166.
Good luck searching !

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 April 14 08:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Hasta. I will try on the English boards.