Author Topic: BERRY  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BERRY
« on: Thursday 08 May 14 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions about tracing my Gloucestershire family. They first appear in the 1891 census. living in Worplesdon Road, Stoke near Guildford, Surrey. The head of the family was James Berry, my Great Great Grandfather, who according to the census was aged 53, so born c1838. His wife Jame, was aged 55, so born c1836, and born in Gloucestershire. The two eldest sons on the census Alfred (22) and John (19) were both according to the census born in Gloucestershire. Although enumerated as John, the second son was really Christopher John, my Great Grandfather, who a the 1911 census reveals was born in Cirencester. Although I have searched I can find no trace of the family before 1891, either in Gloucestershire or after they moved to Surrey, which was presumably between c1872, when (Christopher) John was born, and 1882, when a younger brother, George, was born in Surrey. Once again I can't find a birth record for George, so have no idea of Jane's maiden name. Any suggestions or help much appreciated.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BERRY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 May 14 13:30 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 May 14 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
I was born and brought up just off Worplesdon Rd.
I don't know if this will help when searching, but Worplesdon Rd. runs from the Woodbridge area through Stoughton and PitchPlace to Worplesdon, Stoke Park  and Stoke lock on the river are the only parts of Guildford which to my knowledge use the Stoke name are someway off from there; so I would suggest that Stoughton might be the area you are looking for.

EDIT

Just out of interest what was James's job?

There is a James, a printer, in 1881 in Liverpool who was born Tetbury (mistranscribed as Tilbury) married to a transcribed T E (but it could also be a mistranscription of a J) she was born at Badminton
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 May 14 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Free BMD shows a marriage between James Berry and Jane Brown taking place in the Sept. Qtr. of 1859 in Bristol district.

Jann

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 15:06 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid that the marriage is not to Jane Brown, but to Mary Newton. I am still not making any progress with these ancestors. Does anyone have any new ideas?