Author Topic: Nobbs/Bird in Kingston Surrey, Name Change/Adoption?  (Read 5653 times)

Offline howdee

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nobbs/Bird in Kingston Surrey, Name Change/Adoption?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 June 14 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry for my late response, I had to go out and returned to find some great info, Thanks to all, especially Ciderdrinker for all the Baptism finds, that is a terrific help.

Re the 1891Census George Bird was 20 (born abt 1871) and Mary Prior was 23 (born abt 1868) They were servants at Sandhurst Berks, I found the Sandhurst birth for George and this indicates it's likely to be him.

I found Mary A. Prior, born Hampshire. in 1871 she was living at Cliddesden with her family, this is about 3 miles from Basingstoke Hampshire, so very likely correct. father: James Prior, mother: Sarah Prior.

I don't have marriage cert,  I also don't know where William Nobbs was between 1901 and 1911 though in 1901 census, he was listed with some of his legitimate children at 227 Park Rd, East Molesey

I hope this is useful and am very grateful for your help.

Regards

Howard
Gill, Owen, Barter, Griffin, Arnison, Langley-Hansler Nobbs, Hunt, Angel,

Offline howdee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 June 14 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Ciderdrinker's find of Mabel Gladys Bird is interesting, I didn't know about the Mabel name as it just states Gladys in the 1911 census, From 1920 to 1926 a Mabel Nobbs and a William Nobbs were living at 96 Linden Rd Hampton, At the time of William's death in 1930, his address was given as 9, Linden Rd, I believe this to be correct. So, Mabel Gladys solves another puzzle.

Thanks again.

Howard

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 10:52 BST (UK) »
Morning
Sorry to say I can't find George Bird after 1895 ish.there are just too many possibles and he doesn't appear on the censuses so he could have gone anywhere and there doesn't seem to be a death taht fits 1895-1901.
This looks like him with his family 1881 1320/29/51
James Bird 52 painter Wokingham
Clara 50 same
Harry 17 ag lab Wokingham
Frank 13 errand boy Sandhurst
Charlie 12 scholar
George 10 Scholar Sandhurst

Maggie 9
Sarah Bryce servant 17 Ireland
Alice Bryce 1 Carlhampton
The previous census 1296/9/9 at Sandhurst  has George 11 months.
James 41 carpenter
Clara 40 laundress
William 15 confectioner
Clara 12
Bertha 11
Emily 9
Harry 7
Frank 4
Charles 2
George 11 mths
Clara Sharp niece servant 20 East Moseley
Jenny 3mths Sandhurst

So there is a connection to East Moseley

Ciderdrinker

Offline howdee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker

Thanks for this, I too couldn't find anything further for George Bird. My interest in George was only to establish the kind of relationship that William Nobbs and Mary Bird had, I'm fairly sure that Mary was still married to George hence she and William didn't marry, I would have thought that the children would have had William's name but I guess Mary didn't really know what to do. You will see that William and family were at 227 Park Rd East Molesey in 1901 census. I came across the baptism record for Mabel Gladys Bird in 1900, the address was given as 4 Park Rd, East Molesey, I suppose they kept the two houses on to accommodate everyone before moving in together at Linden Rd where a number of the Nobbs clan lived.

Thanks for finding the important stuff, the baptism records were invaluable. I now feel confident enough to add the Nobbs/Bird children to my family tree. The 1901 census is a mystery but I guess Mary and the children were at 4 Park Rd. Thanks again.

Regards.

Howard.