Author Topic: Ann Owen (1794-1873) - looking for parents and first husband  (Read 8488 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Owen (1794-1873) - looking for parents and first husband
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 April 13 12:38 BST (UK) »
But where are any of them in 1841 if Anne and her second husband John are at Llandeloy?

Just found children John and Ann in 1841 with mum Anne and step-dad John at Llandeloy (Pershe). Indexes only showed John and Anne Owen, but the children John and Ann Thomas are there in the same place if you look at the record. Guess the other daughter Margaret was a servant elsewhere, though Margaret Thomas is like looking for a needle in a haystack so will leave that ::)

Still no luck looking for their baptisms or any older children for William and Anne Thomas. :(
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 April 13 13:29 BST (UK) »
Can't edit my first post but noticed a typo in my timeline  ::)
1874 (Jan): Ann Morris baptised in St David’s (daughter of Lewis and Mary)
This should be:
1794 (Jan): Ann Morris baptised in St David’s (daughter of Lewis and Mary)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 April 13 14:53 BST (UK) »
Having found a number of baptism records for several other rootschatters in the last week, I've come to the conclusion that the John, Margaret and Anne Thomas I’m looking for were never baptised (was that unusual), or am I missing some parishes?

In summary, William Thomas and Ann(e) Morris were married in July 1818 in Llanrhian, and William died in Jan 1833 in Mathry (abode Tredel).  The children I know of, John (1828), Margaret (1831) and Ann(e) Thomas (1833), are all recorded in censuses as being born in Mathry or Llanhowell (Margaret says Tredel one year). 

I've looked through all the baptism records for Llanrhian and Mathry and found:

Llanrhian - Stephen (baptised on 3 Jan 1819, born to a William & Anne Thomas of Porthiddy, William a labourer) but no other children for the couple;

Mathry - David, baptised 1 April 1821 to what looks like William & Ann, of Persche(?), William a labourer; and William, baptised 13 April 1823 to William & Anne, of Cwmbadau(?), William a labourer;

I’ve also looked through all the registers for Llanhowel and Llandeloy (very few baptisms in either parish from 1818 to 1833, none to a William and Anne Thomas) and Llanreithan (2 to William and Anne Thomas of Treiskaw, William a farmer: Richard, baptised on 25 Jan 1818 (before the wedding) and Jane on 12 Dec 1819). As the first baptism was before the wedding I’m assuming this is not my William and Anne.

So Stephen, David and William could be older siblings of John, Margaret and Anne, but I’ve still not found their baptisms. Should I be looking for other parishes?   

Also, Anne was living at ‘Persche’ in Llandeloy when she married her second husband John Owen in 1839 and they were living there in the 1841 (see first post and reply no 1). Could this be the same Pershe as the 1821 baptism in Mathry… see attachment.

All ideas welcome.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Owen (1794-1873) and children
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 May 14 21:30 BST (UK) »
Apologies in advance for the long post, but two recent ‘finds’ have added info to the above ...

I’ve found the baptism of Margaret Thomas, on 27 Mar 1831, at the Welsh Calvinistic chapel in Trevine (daughter of William and Anne Thomas, nee Morris, abode Tredel). That was exciting and I hoped I’d find the other children too, including Ann(e) my gg grandmother. Browsing the records I came across an Ebenezer Thomas, born 20 March 1825, baptised 1 May 1825, son of William and Anne Thomas, nee Morris (I can’t read the abode unfortunately), but the bride’s previous parish appears to match the record for Margaret. But the same register, covering 1811 to 1837, doesn’t have baptism records for John or Ann(e). And I can’t find anything else on Ebenezer.

And then I found the will of Anne Owen, of Treglemesfach, written in October 1863. It’s quite hard to read but leaves everything to her daughter Margaret and grand-daughter Jane. But, if Jane dies before coming of age her share is to be divided equally between ‘my children Stephen Thomas, Margaret Thomas and John Thomas my grandson, the son of William Thomas, my son.’ Bizarrely (to me anyway) a codicil was then added, Anne changing her will in 1869 giving Jane’s share (should she die before coming of age) to ‘my son in law John Owen’ (ie Jane’s father) and declaring that ‘the above mentioned Stephen Thomas and John Thomas have no claim to any of my property (whatever) after my departure’.

So Anne doesn’t mention her sons John or Ebenezer (would that suggest that they’d died as had her daughter Ann(e)), but does mention sons Stephen and William, and grandson John – again by including grandson John is it likely that his father William had died?

So Stephen and William could be the baptisms referred to in reply 11. Perhaps David is theirs but had died too.  I think I’ve enough evidence to confirm that it is all the same family, though I was unsure initially. Is the mix of religions unusual?

Timeline updated to include the possible additions to the family...

1818 (14 Jul): Llanrhian, Anne Morris married William Thomas
1819 (3 Jan): Llanrhian, baptism of Stephen, son of William & Anne Thomas of Porthiddy, William a labourer
1821 (1 April): Mathry, baptism of David, son of William & Ann Thomas, of Persche, William a labourer;
1823 (13 April): Mathry, baptism of William, son of William & Anne Thomas, of Cwmbadau(?), William a labourer;
1825 (1 May): Welsh Calvinistic chapel in Trevine, baptism of Ebenezer Thomas, son of William and Anne Thomas, nee Morris
1828: Son John born (says Mathry in 1851 census); no baptism found
1831: (27 Mar): Welsh Calvinistic chapel in Trevine, baptism of Margaret, daughter of William and Anne Thomas, nee Morris, abode Tredel, William a labourer. 
1833 (9 Jan): Husband 1 William Thomas buried in Mathry (abode Tredel)
1832/3: Daughter Ann(e) born (Mathry) - my 2* great g'mother; no baptism found
1839 (12 Mar): Anne Thomas (widow) married John Owen in Llandeloy
1848 (16 Nov): Husband 2 John Owen buried in Llanhowell (abode Treglemes)
1852 (21 Aug): Daughter Ann(e) married John Owen at Haverfordwest register office
1853 (20 Aug): Grand-daughter Jane born at Treglemesh; no baptism found
1855 (1 Aug): Daughter Ann(e) died, aged 23, buried in Croesgoch (with her baby daughter Elizabeth, aged 14 days)
1873 (28 Feb): Ann died at Treglemais, buried at Croesgoch
1879 (25 Nov): Grand-daughter Jane married Henry Griffiths at Croesgoch Baptist Chapel

Two images attached as well, in the hope that someone can tell me the residence at the time of Ebenezer's baptism (is it Cwmbadau, like William?), and Anne's parish before her marriage. I've also included an extra image, showing more of the page in case other entries are helpful.

The timeline seems to fit, William is always a labourer, and abodes such as Pershe, Tredel and Treglemesh occur more than once. But the mix of religious denominations and the missing baptisms makes me wonder if this is wrong somewhere. Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Deirdre