Author Topic: Information from Falkirk  (Read 15115 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Information from Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 19:39 GMT (UK) »
There is a British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Card showing...I wonder if it is your grandfather. His son Hugh b. in Newcastle would have been too young for WW1:

Medal card of Levitt, Hugh
Corps/ Regiment No/ Rank
Connaught Rangers/5414/ Private
Northumberland Fusiliers/ 80538/ Private

I doubt finding service records for Hugh will tell you anything about his life in Scotland, but if you don't have them already, they may be interesting for you to try and trace.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 23:26 GMT (UK) »
That must be a great web site Monica. Can you give us a link to it.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fergie

I got the information from the National Archives www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. The actual index card is available to purchase from there or available to view from Ancestry (via subs.) I've had a look at the image and apart from refs. to the medals awarded, no personal information included.

Monica

This link takes you straight to the search page www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

Offline Aidem62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

WW1 documents can be viewed free this month at ancestry.

Best wishes

Offline Morney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 18:15 GMT (UK) »

Hi Monica

Thanks for the info on WW1 records etc. 

Cheers Morney

Offline Morney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Information from Falkirk - Hugh Livitt
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 November 08 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I have contacted the Bereavement services at Falkirk and there is a grave for Anne Livett (Hugh's wife)  wife although the name is spelt Liviet with Hugh's first son who died in 1896.  There is no sign of the Husband.

I was wondering if he could have disappeared in 1906 and the family still harked back to better times noting him down as a foreman at the chemical works.

I am probably clutching at straws here! :-\

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 November 08 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Morney,

Did the Bereavement Services give you the name of the cemetery, the section and lair numbers of Anne & son's grave?

If so, I could visit and see if there's a stone sometime soon.

Anne.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 November 08 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Linda

I don't think you are clutching at straws - I think you are right in what you are thinking. Likely he did leave his family sometime from 1906 - 09, at some point following the registration of daughter Barbara's death when you know he registered her death.

The why's will probably be hard for you to determine I'm sure. I don't think there was a divorce, wife Ann still showed as married at her death and Hugh showed as a 'widower' on his 1909 marriage in Newcastle.

The name Hugh Lovatt (and the number of variants), is relative rare in both Scotland and England. Lovatt by the way is the more Irish spelling of it which fits with father Hugh being Irish.

There are no deaths showing for Hugh in Scotland that I can see. To give you an idea of how rare the name is in Scotland, between 1855 to 2006, there are only 6 entries, of any age, in the  whole of Scotland.

Of these 6 deaths:

1996 - Hugh and Annie's son, Age 0 in Falkirk
1904 - Hugh Snr I would imagine, age 67 in Larbert fitting that 1901 census entry we found
1935 - probably a newphew (?), age 37 in Larbert*

*I found another brother of Hugh's the other day . A Donald Livitt married Ann Jane McDade in Falkirk in 1898, son of Hugh and Margaret (McIver).

I do think you have found your grandfather's family. From what we have seen in the censuses and BMDs, it fits in great part what stories have been handed down through the family. You have his birth in India, his father in the army and his occupations showing on the censuses and certs.

You also have the use of family names he used for his new family, No.2 Hugh, Marion and Donald (who we now know was a brother of Hugh's).

Hugh stating he was a widower and referring to a criminal past may have been his way of keeping the door to his other life in Scotland firmly shut....

Monica

Offline Morney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 November 08 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your support Monica.  It is a lot to digest.  There seems to have been some very sad times which need to be healed.   

I don't think hugh was a criminal just hard working and hard drinking which may have lead him into unfortunate circumstances.