Author Topic: Catherine Taylor nee Galloway 1801 Cupar  (Read 3000 times)

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
Catherine Taylor nee Galloway 1801 Cupar
« on: Thursday 24 January 13 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  I have been here before!

My end of month closing down is soon so just want to tighten up before a print.
This lady was/is my ggggrandmother.  Her dtr was Mary Taylor who married James McPherson in 1849 in Edinburgh.  The couple and their first 3 children along with her father, David Taylor, emigrated to Melbourne, Australia arriving in Feb 1855 on the Glenmanna. The first Australian-born son was David Cameron McPherson, my grandfather's father.

I have not been able to find a death for Catherine.  I don't know for sure if she too emigrated as i didn't see her on the Glenmanna p/list.  I have found a couple of possible post 1851 censuses which could be her, but this would mean that she did not emigrate with her husband and dtr.

Catherine and David Taylor had 6 other children that i'm reasonably sure of - FamilySearch and Scotland'sPeople, but these two sites don't show the same set, and alas some family trees show more.  I've looked to see if Catherine went to live with any of her children who stayed in the country or went to England, but to no real avail.

David died in Victoria, and is buried in Geelong.  Mary, his dtr, is buried in Melbourne's Box Hill cemetery with her son James.  Mary's husband, James McPherson, is buried in a public grave in the Springvale Cemetery, Melbourne.

I would also like to know if Catherine's parents were David Galloway and Margaret Blyth please, and if she had siblings Alexander and Thomas?

Any finds greatly appreciated.
Julie
BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales

Offline BM72

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Taylor nee Galloway 1801 Cupar
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

I am very new at researching my family history, I've really only started in earnest this week!  Unfortunately I don't have further information for you but I'm hoping you can help me.  It appears as though we share a connection.  David Cameron McPherson was my g,g,grandfather. 

I'm trying to find the missing link between David and Matilda and my grandfather William Ronald.  What I have found on ancestry.com so far indicates that David and Matilda had 3 children - Florence Marion born 1888, Walter James born 1891 and Alice Hary(?) born 1894. However I've been told that my g, grandfather was William Hamilton who married Elizabeth Rendell?

I'm also more than happy to fill in any blanks for you that I can.

I look forward to hearing from you and finding out where we are related.
Bronwynne

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 November 14 00:00 GMT (UK) »
http://www.geni.com/people/Catherine-Taylor/6000000008521741659

Julie, you might want to try the owner of this tree and ask where his information comes from. It states Catherine Taylor (nee Galloway)'s parents were David and Catherine Galloway
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 November 14 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Julie,
     Not sure how much information you already have since you know Catherine/Katherine born Cupar, Fife, 1801.

Kathrine Galloway & David Taylor married 15th Nov,1818, Abbotshall, Fife. (FamilySearch & SP)
     Only births I've found are:
          George, born 14th baptized 24th Oct,1819 at Abbotshall, Fife.
          Mary, born 18th April,1828 at Abbotshall, Fife.
          Andrew & John born 12th Oct baptized 1st Nov,1832 at Dysart, Fife.
     (Abbotshall & Dysart are neighbouring Parishes now all part of Kirkcaldy)

Mary Taylor & James McPherson married 3rd Aug,1849, St Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian (SP)

1851 Scotland Census. 12 Saunders St, St Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian. (Ancestry)
     David  Taylor 53 Cowfeeder b Markinch, Fife.
     Catherine "    49 Wife          b Cupar, Fife.
     James      "    28 Son           b Abbotshall, Fife.
     Janet       "    20 Dau           b Loakhead, Fife.
     David      "    18 Son            b Dysart, Fife.
     Andrew   "     16 Son           b     "        "
     John       "     16 Son           b     "        "

Haven't found family 1841 or Mary & husband James McPherson on 1851 Census but will have another look later today.

Between 31st March 1851 (Census date) & Dec,1854 (Emigration) there are 2 deaths for Catherine Taylor (forename variants) & 1 death for Catherine Galloway (again, forename variants) in St Cuthberts, Edinburgh. (Scottish woman were often buried by their maiden name)

Hope there is something new there for you to work on. Good luck with your search.
               Regards,     Dod.

Added. Loakhead, Janet's birthplace on 1851 Census is likely to be Lochhead Farm, north of Dysart towards Wemyss. Possible David came from an agricultural background.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."