Author Topic: SNELL James - which baptism in St Stephen in Brannel is the right one?  (Read 4686 times)

Offline ozziegalx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SNELL James - which baptism in St Stephen in Brannel is the right one?
« on: Saturday 31 March 12 14:13 BST (UK) »
I am confused....  I posted here years ago looking for my Almon SNELL who is still missing lol, and I do appreciate all the help especially from Kris  ;D.  Now I have yet another brick wall, this one with his father.

I found my James SNELL in the 1841 census at Ancestry - mis-transcribed as MELL - their Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 146; Book: 4; Civil Parish: St Austell; County: Cornwall; Enumeration District: 15; Folio: 30; Page: 11; Line: 25; GSU roll: 241268.

I can't even find him in the Cornwall Online Census Project in 1841.... but his son is missing too lol as some here including Kris may remember from years ago...

James is the father of my Allaman/Allmon/Holman (you name it lol... who is missing in the 1841) but according to the Cornwall OPC site, it is James and Phillipa that are his parents.

1836   Stephen in Brannel, St.   Allmon   SNELL   James   Philippa

I think Phillipa was also Philedelphia as Almon's brother Samuel James SNELL was born to

1831   Stephen in Brannel, St.   Samuel James   SNELL   James   Philadelphia

But the only James SNELL's I find are these two
1805   Stephen in Brannel, St.   James   SNELL   John    Mary   
1810   Stephen in Brannel, St.   James   SNELL   Thos           Ann

I have put this on here years ago, and now I am more confused as the James SNELL at the Cornwall OPC site I thought was mine, as the 1841/1851 census lists his birth as in 1810 in St Stephen in Brannel, now is claimed by someone else as theirs...

I found them when I googled his name, and someone in New Zealand (across the pond from me in Australia), has the 1810 James SNELL as his, who goes over to New Zealand.

I emailed him and he replied:
The details of James Snell (1810-1889) came from a book that was published by Evagean Publishing in 2005 entitled "Settlers of Snells Beach - James and Mary Snell and their descendants."

As a descendant of James I was asked to contribute to this book and purchased a copy for each of my two daughters when it was complete.  The details of James and his family back in Cornwall were presumably supplied by a Ron Snell and included in the book as "Research of Snell family in England 1987".  This also included the details for Thomas and Ann.  Apparently Whetter is a very common name in Cornwall.

The only other James SNELL I found at the Cornwall OPC site is the one born in 1805 which matches some of the census.  Problem is in the 1851 James is born in 1805 St Stephen in Brammel, but in 1841 it is 1810, but given the weird thing with the 1841...

So now I have him in three census with two different birth dates.  He is not in the 1871 and I found a death in St Austell (where he has been in census) death in 1861 after the census, and in 1871 I think his wife Phillipa is a widow.  So in 1841 he is born in 1810, in 1851 and 1861 it is 1805...

So should I claim him as the one born in 1805?  I'd appreciate any assistance as I am totally stumped.... ??? ???  There was a book written about the 1810 one moving to New Zealand, so I assume they had the proof to claim the 1810 one?

See even with the amazing resources for Cornwall, it is still easy to get stumped.  I did read back to my old posts, but back then I assumed the 1810 one was mine.  Now I am not so sure  ??? ???

What do you think?  Thanks  ;D

The confusing part is even with the luck of having the Cornwall OPC site to check, they have only 2 James SNELL's born in the period, 1805 and 1810... what to do, what to do...  any ideas?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: SNELL James - which baptism in St Stephen in Brannel is the right one?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 March 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
In 1851 isnt he born c 1810?
James 1810
Phillipa 1796
Samuel 1832
Almond 1836
HO107/1907/119/17

FreeREG has a James SNELL/Ann OSBORNE Marriage 16 Nov 1793, St Stephen in Brannel who could be also possible Parents for James.

I checked NZ BMD and James ages at Death was 79, so Birth c 1810.
Now did the people contacted have his NZ Death Cert?
Ones of that date should contain lots of info.
http://www.exploregenealogy.co.uk/newzealanddeathrecords.html

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 March 12 17:24 BST (UK) »
Someone does have a Submitted record of James SNELL born c 1803 marrying Philippa BONE, 04 Aug 1828, St Stephen in Brannel.
(I see she was nee Skidgemore and was Married to Wm Bone 1814 as Philadelphia)

Looks a possible DOB as there is a CHARLOTTE Snell christened 07 Nov 1829, St Stephen... to JAMES/PHILLIPA
(Familysearch.Org)

There is a James SNELL christened St Stephen...24 March 1805 to JAMES/MARY also. (F/S.Org)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 March 12 18:45 BST (UK) »
James SNELL Buried 18 March 1868, Austell, Cornwall (F/S.Org)
Cornwall OPC has the same info but has his age as 66 (c 1802/3)
Residence Fatwork

So looks like yours was NOT the 1810 James. But how to work out who his Parents are is still a problem.

Trish :)

Offline ozziegalx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 March 12 20:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone  ;D

The Cornwall OPC has John and Mary as parents for the 1805 one....

So there is a James SNELL also buried 1868?  Eek that's more complicated since Ancestry had one buried in 1861 in St Austell... I think there are too many James' lol

Trish, I also picked up that Philedelpia was a Skidgemore first since Samuel is Almond's brother and his birth says Philedelphia whereas Charlotte and Almon has Phillipa.

I am not sure but I think the James born to James and Mary... I think there is also an entry at F/S.org for the same person with same date etc, but instead of the father being called James, it is John.. hence more confusion as all the info is the same except the name of the father.

I don't think they have James' death certificate, they have his granddaughter or something lol.

It's bad enough his son Almon/Ormond/Holman etc is missing in 1841 and then disappears after 1861.. but now his dad does too?  He is in the 1841 but not in 1871... why do I think maybe they ran off to some mine together? lol

But Almon's wife Mary Ann remarried to a John COCKING, but in the 1861 she was married...

Anyway it's James's turn to confuse and confound me lol, that's why I turned to you great people.

Offline youwho

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 May 13 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi ozziegaix

If you go to www.familysearch.org click search, then click search" historical records" this brings  a new page "Historical collection" scroll down to England Cornwall, click the "Browse Images" button click Cornwall, You are then presented with a huge list of Cornish parishes including St Stephens in Brannell and St Austell click on the parish of interest this gives you a list of various Birth Marriage and Burials and dates click on the one you want, this then gives you the images of the parish registers to look through, there is no index so you will need to click on each image page and check things through, these are images of the parish records.

Hope this may be of help

youwho
KENT Clackett, Swaffer, Houghton, Jezzard, Epps, Smith
ESSEX Hoy, Bentley, Smith, 
HERTFORDSHIRE, BEDFORDSHIRE Hare, Holland,  Crouch , Shepherd
SUSSEX  Jones, Smith,
DEPTFORD   Phillips, Francis
MIDDLESEX - TOTTENHAM Smith, Bentley, Hoy, Phillips, Mead, Cooke

Offline john snell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 February 14 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just found this site and entrys re Almon Snell and joined and have no idea how to use it.

My side of the Snell family is from Samuel John Snell 1831, brother of Allmon 1836 and Charlotte 1829.  We come from St Austell Cornwall.

I TO have found difficulties tracing the correct James Snell who married Phillippa Bone in 1828

I wonder if anyone has managed to solve this problem

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 February 14 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat john; lots of friendly, helpful & knowledgeable people here!

I suggest you make 2 more posts [just reply twice to this one] then you can send a personal message 'pm' to ozziegalx by clicking on the page icon under her name [it's green when someone is online]. 

ADDED: It doesn't look as though she has been 'active' on this forum since 2012, but it's worth a try.

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline john snell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 February 14 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Josey, tracing my family has been hardwork