Author Topic: 1885 Marriage look-up, pls  (Read 1655 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1885 Marriage look-up, pls
« on: Thursday 27 March 14 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Wonder if anyone can help me, please?

I'm looking for the details of the marriage in Q3 1885, Redruth Reg District between

William John Laity
and
Sarah Ann Thomas

Sarah Ann was b. Gwennap 1866, daughter of Wm and Mary Ann, nee Jeffery.
William John was b. abt 1861 (although he's not on the 1861 census) and his pob varies from St Hillary (1871, 1881 and 1891 census) to Goldsithney (1901 census), son of Richard and Caroline, nee Richards.

I've searched Gwennap marriage without successs, and am now a bit stuck.

All help appreciated.

Thanks
STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: 1885 Marriage look-up, pls
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 March 14 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Nothing on FreeREG, Cornwall OPC etc.
May have been a Register Office Wedding, therefore you would need the M/C.

It is possible William Johns Baptism is mistranscribed as William Johns Laity, 25 Dec 1862, Hillary St, Parents Richard/Sally, abode Hallemanning, Fathers Occp Miner

Looks good as Birth Reg as William John Laity Sept 1862 Penzance

All the other Children are Baptised there;
Grace Thomas, 13 Jan 1850
Richard Henry, 11 Jan 1852
Edward Richards, 25 Dec 1853
Charlotte Richards, 5 Dec 1854
Charlotte, 11 Jan 1857
Thomas Henry, 6 April 1860
Emily Jane, 18 Feb 1873, Birth 7 April 1866
(Cornwall OPC)

Some of the others have abode as Hallemanning as Williams Johns has.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 March 14 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking.

It's a bit of a mystery really and I'm not entirely sure what I was hoping the marriage certificate would reveal - apart from the obvious, that is.

In 1907, Sarah Ann Laity, listed as wife, together with children Caroline, Ethel, Evelyn, May, Percy, Violet (who later on seems to be referred to as Gwennie) and Horace, all surnamed Laity go off to the USA, together with a 41yr old engineer called William Richards.

Who is William Richards?  Is he the same person as William John(s) Laity?  They're the same age, and William Laity's mother's maiden name was Richards.

Also, William Laity is a tin miner, whereas William Richards is an engineer.  He could just have been bigging himself up, but ...

... sometime between 1907 and 1911, Sarah and some of the children obviously come back to the UK because they're (a) on the 1911 census at Shakespeare Avenue, Bath (Sarah, b. 1866 Cornwall, married 25yrs, 8 children born, all alive, with Evelyn, May, Percy, Gwennie and Horace and (b) on another out-going passenger list to the USA on 29 June 1911, with the five children. 

I'd seen the baptism for William John(s) Laity with parents Richard and Sally, but am a bit puzzled as to who Sally is, especially as there's no Richard Laity/Sally(or Sarah) marriage at/around the right time.  William calls his eldest daughter Caroline, so although that's not exactly "proof" it's a pretty clear indication that this is the right family, and other siblings of William have Richards as a middle name.  Could Sally be a wild mistranscription for Caroline?

So, lots of questions, including:

1.  How could they afford to go to the USA in the first place - were assisted passages available?
2.  If William was a tin miner, how did he morph into an engineer?
3.  How did they afford to come back to the UK just for a visit again so soon (after only 4 years)?
4.  I'm told that the family can't be found (yet) on the 1910 US census, but in 1920 and 1930 Sarah Ann is calling herself Richards is listed as a widow, but the children all remain with the SN Laity.
5.  No death can be found in the US for William John(s) Laity/Richards.
6.  On the 1901 census it says Evelyn, May, Percy and Violet were all b. Redruth.  On the 1911 census it says that Evelyn was b. Devonport, May and Percy in Arizona, and Gwennie and Horace in Dakota.  Why would they claim this? (There are birth registrations in Redruth Reg District that match the dobs for all of them.)
7.  Plus other questions, that I've not yet thought of.

Anyone any ideas, please?

I seem to be going round in circles on this one.

Thanks in advance.
STG

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 March 14 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I've just found Sarah and the children on an incoming passenger list in 1909.

Sarah is listed as Sarah Richards, 44, wife
Ethel is Ethel Mayne, 20, wife (I know she married a Mr Mayne, so this makes sense).
Evelyn is Evelyn Laity, 18
May is May Laity, 11
Percy is Percy Laity, 10
Horace is Horace Laity, 4
and
Gwennie is Gwennie Laity, 5

STG