Author Topic: Times article?? WWI - COMPLETED  (Read 2291 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Times article?? WWI - COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 06 August 13 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I've just found my ancestor Arthur George Staples's obituary in the Royal Army Ordnance Gazette. Do you think the following means there would be an article in The Times newspaper??....

In the late war he served as Ordnance Officer at Stirling and received a letter of appreciation from the War Office for his services ("Times," 14.8.18).

If so, I shall sign up to their archive website and see if I can find anything!

Many thanks,
Glen
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Times article?? WWI
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 08:10 BST (UK) »
The Times for that day carries a very long list of officers and men whose names have been brought to the attention of the Secretary of State for War for valuable services rendered in connexion with the war. His name is on the list.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 08:13 BST (UK) »
He's listed as:

Staples, C. of O. and Hon. Maj. A.G. A.O.D.

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 09:01 BST (UK) »
Strange the reference to the "late war" and the article is dated 14.8.18. ww1 was still ongoing, do you think the reference was to the Boer War?
or is the date year wrong?

James

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 09:06 BST (UK) »
Strange the reference to the "late war
"

The reference to the "late war" is not in The Times item but comes from the obituary which presumably was written some time after the armistice

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 August 13 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the obituary was from 1933.

I wondered if the letter would be in The Times, but I guess it's only a list of who would receive a letter, so I won't sign up for a subscription just yet! Although I think there may other articles regarding Arthur George Staples and his time in the Army!

Thanks for your help,
Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline Stebie9173

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Times article?? WWI - COMPLETED
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 August 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
The Times Digital Archive can usually be accessed via your local Library website using your library card number (and sometimes a PIN) for access from home.

The list referred to will be for "Mentioned in Despatches".

He did serve in South Africa as a Captain and Deputy Commissary of Ordnance and was entitled to the Queen's South Africa Medal and clasps for Cape Colony and Orange Free State, and King's South Africa Medal with clasps for South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902.

He had previously been a Conductor (A.O.D. top Warrant Officer rank) and was commissioned as a Quartermaster in 1895.

Steve.
Researching : Beeby (Titchmarsh / Peterborough), Brooksbank (Peterborough), Northamptonshire Regiment 1914-1918

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Times article?? WWI - COMPLETED
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve,

Apologies! I've only just come across your response, for some reason.

Thank you for the response. It's much appreciated. I'll look into it, and check whether my local library has a subscription that I could use.

Many thanks,
Glen