Author Topic: Identify regiment from cap badge  (Read 4394 times)

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identify regiment from cap badge
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 November 14 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much, I have been searching thru the service records but without luck. I gather many of the records were destroyed ? Out of 4 granddads we have found 2  and lost 2 which I guess is always likely. Am I right assuming that despite having a service number there is nothing else to be found? Or will a Kew visit be worthwhile?

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 November 14 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Around 65 to 70% of WW1 Service records were unfortunately destroyed during WW2. I am the same as in that I have found the service records for 2 gt grandads (maternal side) & not the other 2 (paternal side), so possibly likely, though I couldn't say for certain. There appears to be an Awards & Medal Roll entry for James Smith but with the Regimental no: G/ 39013. Both this & the Medal Index card are on Ancestry, which I don't have access to presently. As to a visit to Kew, I'm not sure.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 November 14 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much, I have been searching thru the service records but without luck. I gather many of the records were destroyed ? Out of 4 granddads we have found 2  and lost 2 which I guess is always likely. Am I right assuming that despite having a service number there is nothing else to be found? Or will a Kew visit be worthwhile?

You could be lucky:

The 'Burnt Documents'

The service records that survived the Arnside Street fire in September 1940 - the so-called 'Burnt Documents' - are located in the series WO 363. Due to fire and water damage, they are too delicate to be handled and are consequently only available to the public on microfilm.

Microfilming the 'Burnt Documents' has been a huge project, for which The National Archives has received valuable financial support from the Heritage Lottery Fund. The microfilm catalogues, which are mostly arranged alphabetically by surname, cover soldiers who completed their service between 1914 and 1920. They might have been killed in action, discharged on medical grounds without a pension, or demobilised at the end of the war.

Taken from here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/firstworldwar/service_records/sr_soldiers.htm

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 November 14 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Just an update on this one. I was at Kew yesterday and they told me that the burnt records WO363 are all now online, the link went to a very old NA page. Never mind. They did supply me with a further reference to look up which might show his battalion number, sadly I did not have the time on that visit  to wait for it. I will revisit when I can. If the battalion number is available I can then look at the war diaries for that battalion.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 November 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Medal rolls are available on pay and go naval and military archives they sometimes give a full battalion breakdown of service which will then give you which war diary.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 November 14 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Just an update on this one. I was at Kew yesterday and they told me that the burnt records WO363 are all now online, the link went to a very old NA page. Never mind. They did supply me with a further reference to look up which might show his battalion number, sadly I did not have the time on that visit  to wait for it. I will revisit when I can. If the battalion number is available I can then look at the war diaries for that battalion.

I hope I didn't give you false hope and a wasted journey...not good when the site doesn't give up to date information  :-\

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 November 14 23:05 GMT (UK) »
No problem at all Carol, I just happened to be down there visiting family so thought I would make a quick visit. I managed to find something else while there so it was worthwhile.

Ady, I think I have seen his medal card? and the roll?  A red and white handwritten card and the sheet with typed entry, neither show the battalion sadly. When I gave the medal ref and page to the man at the NA, he gave me a reference that I need to view there which he said MIGHT show the battalion. Next time I'm down south I'll call in again with more time available!

Funnily enough when I took my 92 year old Mum for a cuppa this afternoon I started to tell her that her Dad was in the Queens.... and she butted in with the "Queens Royal West Surrey" so despite dementia she remembered that but knows nothing of the horses!

Thanks
Heather

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 November 14 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Heather the Roll is different to the index card it works in conjunction with it.If the sheet you saw had enlistment date and discharge date then its likely to be from the Roll if not.....

You can get a months subscription to the NMA site which gives you access to the rolls and also any war diaries that have been uploaded.Maybe cheaper than a trip to Kew?

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 November 14 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, these are what I have found. The national Archives gave me this ref to look at WO329/658 which is the document they say might show his battalion.

Which is the subscribable website you refer to as NMA please? (not the Arboretum I guess)
Thanks
Heather