Author Topic: James & Agnes Diamond  (Read 36415 times)

Offline svsurf02

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James & Agnes Diamond
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth, have tried once to send the newspaper notice twice but it failed- seems to be too large, being one of several notices in a column.  Will try another way. And by the way I've made a mistake about the Reverend- though John was "the third son of the late Henry McMillan of Glasgow, Scotland". And no I've never been to Rookwood although my grandmother, I'm sure, was familiar. She did by the way know an Elsie Diamond- a cousin or perhaps niece of your Elsie.

Offline uelalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 16 February 13 06:18 GMT (UK) »
I have a DIAMOND link as my Grandmother was a DIAMOND born in Stranraer, Wigtownshire.
I have a belief that John DIAMOND born to William & Elizabeth DIAMOND around 1832 is my GGGrandfather.
As a matter of interest when looking through the 1881 Census for Yorkshire, England
In the 1881 Census I found
43 Church St, Halifax, York, England - Crown Hotel - Spirit Vaults:
DIAMOND James 44  Male Wigtonshire, Scotland: Boarder: Occ: Doctor Of Medicine

Offline uelalex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 16 February 13 06:38 GMT (UK) »
The grave for William DIAMOND & Elizabeth ADDIS is in Stranraer's Sheuchan Cemetery. (Wigtownshire, Scotland)
The Memorial Inscription reads as follows:
Erected in memory of Elizabeth ADDIS wife of William DIAMOND who died 22nd Feby 1872 aged 84 years. Also Ann their daughter who died 9th May 186(5) aged (4)7 years. And the above William DIAMOND who died 29th Sept 1877 aged 80 years.  Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord.

Offline Darwin Diamonds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 27 April 14 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
Found this site by acident and was interested in the Agnes and James correspondence. My husband Michael Diamond is also a direct descendant of James Diamond (1764) via son William (1797), his son John (1832), his son John (1865), his son John (1890) and his son Stephen (1925) who is still alive and well. We live in Darwin Australia and are heading over to the UK, including Scotland in August this year. We are planning on spending sveral days in the Wigtownshire area and were interested if any of the Diamond relatives were still there? Also any pointers on exploring the area, we have names of relevant  farms, cemeteries churches etc.

Offline dolphin53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 04 May 14 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Darwin Diamonds,

We are of the same line of Diamonds, and still in the Kirkmaiden area, I have quite a bit of the family tree back to James and Agnes, and got stuck there, as there doesn't seem to be any trace back to, we believe Ireland, it would be really nice to meet you when you come over and perhaps we could show you round. I was born here and stayed, so know the area very well. Look forward to hearing from you again, Regards Dolphin 53

Offline Darwin Diamonds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 05 May 14 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Dolphin 53
Great to hear from you. We are heading over to the UK in early August and plan to drive around for a month or so. We were including a week in Ireland and planned to return to Scotland on the ferry into Stranraer, which I gather is around the area where the Diamonds reside. Would be great to catch up as we were planning on visiting many of the places named in histories. I should be able to narrow down the dates soon and will let you know. Thanks for replying and hopefully we will see you soon
Cheers Darwin Diamonds

Offline Darwin Diamonds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 29 June 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Dolphin53
Looking like being in your area around the 27/28th August and staying for a few day so would be great to catch up. Not too sure how to get an email or other contact means via this site/ ?
Re your William Diamond do you have any idea roughly when he came to Australia, have found several William Diamonds immigrating over many years? Happy to explore further
Janice

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 29 June 14 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice ,

Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline CEC

• RootsChat Extra
  • vires acquirit eundo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 19 February 15 17:10 GMT (UK) »
RE : DIAMONDS
In my family tree the Diamonds come through my mother's family. The majority of my family originated in Wigtownshire. I have researched the line but must admit that I cannot make any sense of it, however here goes. Strangely, I have William Diamond's wife named Elisabeth Eadies, pair married around 1820, 9 children, youngest Ann B 6/10/1817. From then on I am confused. My line appears to me to look like -
GF5 John Diamond + wife Elizabeth Caldwell
GF4 William Diamond + Sarah Wood - natural son John Diamond?
GF3 John Diamond + wife, Mary Lavery
GM2 Mary Diamond + husband, John Walker
GM Mary Walker + husband John Cuthill
M   Mary Diamond Cuthill + Ian Cooper from the Lochans near Stranraer.

I have John & William as masons.
Can anyone see the path through this maze? Have I misread the timeline, are John & William actually brothers? Have I missed out a generation.
Any information regarding the above would be welcome. Regards, Colin.
Cooper - Stoneykirk ; Lancashire - Lunesdale
Paterson - Stoneykirk ;
Green - Stranraer; Diamond - Wigtownshire ;
Warren - Stranraer ; Girvin - Stranraer ;
Cathell or Cuthill - Paisley ; Walker - Stranraer