Author Topic: Stuart family in Midleton, Fermoy, Youghal and Whitegate, Cork  (Read 3136 times)

Offline wscroley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stuart family in Midleton, Fermoy, Youghal and Whitegate, Cork
« on: Saturday 28 June 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
My ggrandfather, William Stuart, was in the RIC and promoted to Head Constable by the time he lived in Youghal.  I have his RIC service record.  He married Jane Scott in Tipperary in 1866 and I have his marriage certificate.  My grandmother, Mary Stuart (1866) was the eldest of nine known siblings - Jane 1868, Sophia 1869, Anne 1871, William 1873, Harriet(t) 1875, Maude (or Mabel) 1876, George 1881, and Charles 1883.  I have all the birth certificates.  Charles emigrated to New Zealand in 1903.  There is a long gap between Maude and George but I cannot identify any further siblings for sure.  Can anyone help with marriages for any of the girls other than Sophia (who married Peter Fawcett).  The names are too common to be able to pick one out from the records.  Any help gratefully received.  Thanks   
Stuart, Scott, Crowley, Hosford in Cork, Limerick, Tipperary Ireland

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stuart family in Midleton, Fermoy, Youghal and Whitegate, Cork
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 June 14 22:08 BST (UK) »
Marriage:
Harriet Stuart Father William Stuart
Address: 10 Herbert Rd Sandymount Dublin
TO-
Harry Benjamin Norman Address: Melrose House Gosford Green Coventry UK
Father Robert G Norman
Marriage Place: Dublin Church of Ireland Parish Irishtown.29th December 1896
Witnesses: William Stuart (for wife)
Fredk S Eason for husband.

www.irishgenealogy.ie may have further records for your family :)

Offline wscroley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 June 14 10:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info.  Harry Norman's name came up on the Ancestry records as a possible match but I could not trace him any further in Ireland.  Wonder if they went to England - will now pursue that route.  thanks again

Offline robertscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 January 15 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Cork Douglas St Lukes C of I
 Douglas Church

Marriages

Mary Smith (nee Stuart) widow Tramore Lodge Douglas f. William Stuart to Alfred Benjamin Croley of Rivensdale Douglas No 107 page 54 1894 17th Sep

Sophia Stuart f. William Stuart to Peter Fawcett RIC Constable of 44 Sth Mall Cork f.  William Fawcett Sergent RIC Tranmore Lodge Douglas No 96 page 48 1890 19th Aug

Offline Joe W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 16:21 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather James Stuart had a brother William.  James left Fermoy and lived in Waterford where he was also in the RIC.  I wonder is that the same family? 

Offline wscroley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 17:14 BST (UK) »
My ggrandfather William Stuart was born in Limerick in about 1834 and his father's name was George.  He joined the RIC in 1854 at the age of 20.  He was posted to Tipperary, Cork, Kerry then back to Cork.  Whilst he was in Tipperary he met and married my ggrandmother, Jane Scott, in 1866.  It is so difficult to know whether my William and your James were related as the Stuarts seem to have used the same first names over and over again!  I think that William's son, William (!) was also in the RIC and joined in 1893, also at the age of 20 but I have no proof yet.  Do you have any other info about your ggrandfather which ties in with this?  Thanks

Offline Joe W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 17:57 BST (UK) »
I know my G grandfather James Stuart came from Glenarousk, Castlelyons in Cork and married Lizzie Lane, from Tipperary.  James place of birth in the 1911 census is given as Armagh.

Offline wscroley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 May 15 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hello again. I think you might find that the Wm Stuart you are related to is the one who married Frances Emily Bryan in 1899, but it is only a theory.  They lived in Glenarousk.  James and William had siblings Alexander, Eliza, Sarah and Susan Stuart, father John Stuart and mother Mary Gray.  The parents originated from Armagh.  I have quite a lot of information on this Stuart branch as I was given the wrong info at the National Archives in Dublin and pursued this before finding out that I was related to a different Wm Stuart!  There is definitely a connection but I cannot find it. So if I can answer any questions I will try - send me a PM.  I am trying to find the document which shows the Armagh connection.  Will message again when I do...