Author Topic: Family of William O'Kelly & Ann Germaine, Baltinglass  (Read 29057 times)

Offline Tissy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family of William O'Kelly & Ann Germaine, Baltinglass
« on: Sunday 12 February 12 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm trying to trace the family of William O'Kelly and Ann Germaine of Baltinglass. One of their sons, Thomas Joseph O'Kelly came to Australia and settled in Bega, NSW, founding what is now Bega Cheese. He was known here as T J Kelly. Thomas was born in 1844. He had a brother, the very well known, E P (Edward) O'Kelly J P who would have been born c1847, (he died in 1914 aged 67).
Apart from these two sons, I have not been able to trace any other siblings, William and Ann's marriage or their parents.

Any information on Thomas' heritage would be very greatly appreciated as I would love to be able to trace the family back as far as possible.

Regards,
Tissy :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Family of William O'Kelly & Ann Germaine, Baltinglass
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 February 12 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Not sure what records you've already checked out ... the dates you've mentioned are before the start of civil records so you will need to investigate church records. What denomination were your O'Kelly/Germaine family ?

See : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 February 12 12:43 GMT (UK) »
There's a possible 1844 baptism for Thomas as 'Kelly', with mother's maiden name Germaine in the RC parish of Baltinglass on the free-index of pay-website at www.rootsireland.ie 

On the same index there's a possible marriage for Ann Germaine to a William Kelly in 1831...not sure which parish though...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Tissy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 February 12 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thank you so much for your information. Most of the information I had to start with on E P O'Kelly was taken from a newspaper obituary for published in the "Southern Star (Bega)" of September 23, 1914, most of which had been extracted from the 'Nationalist and Leister Times'. Unfortunately no date was noted for that publication. I'll see if I can find it on line.

I have found Edward Peter O'Kelly, his wife Judith and family on the 1901 census "Residents of a house 3 in Baltinglass East Town (Baltinglass, Wicklow). Edward was shown as aged 54, Merchant and Auctioneer and the whole family was shown as Roman Catholic which fits with the baptism of the  Thomas that you have found.

After I had posted my request yesterday I came across a partial transcription of Baltinglass Cemetery on which there is an Anne Kelly listed. She died on 12 March 1872, age 64 yr, w/o William. Also listed are Annie, Edward, Margaret, Marie, Michael and William Kelly, all children of Anne and William. No sign of husband William though.

One thing that does intrigue me is that Edward was known as O'Kelly and the rest of the family was known as Kelly. The only reasons that I believe that Edward and Thomas were of the one family is the opening sentence of E P's obituary which read: "Some time ago we announced the death of Mr E P O'Kelly, an Irish Member of the House of Commons, and last surviving brother of Alderman T J Kelly of Bega". T J was Thomas and his death record shows that his parents were William and Anne.

Hope that this information makes them a little easier to pinpoint. Thank you once again for all your help.
Best Regards,
Tissy

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 12 23:50 GMT (UK) »
just for your information, there's currently a bar/restaurant in Baltinglass called Germaine's.

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Tissy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 February 12 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eadaoin,

Thanks for that, I had already found it on the net. A Thomas Germaine was the Publican there in 1910. These two families are getting more interesting by the minute, obviously lots more searching to be done. Many thanks.

Regards,
Tissy

Offline newtownbarry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Tizzy,

I have a significant amount of material - mostly gleaned from the Internet - on the Germaine and O'Kelly families going back to the 1700's and including information on the Bega O'Kelly's.

I will organise it in a form that is shareable with you and post it in pdf format. Please bear with me for a week or two before I have it organised.

Offline Tissy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Newtownbarry,

Thank you so much, any information will be greatly appreciated. So far I seem to have found eight of William and Anne's children including Thomas and John who came to Australia. I have the deaths of Anne and six of her children in Baltinglass, the only one that I am having difficulty in finding the death of is William Kelly Snr.

I do have a lot of information on the Australian lines so I really look forward to hearing from you. Hopefully we can fill in a few gaps for each other.

Many thanks,

Tissy

Offline newtownbarry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Tizzy,

I am having difficulty sharing information with you due to the limits on the number of charachers that may be included in messages (5500 max) and the size of attachments (500KB max).

Might I suggest that you fax your e-mail address to me at + * and I will e-mail the material directly to you.

Moderator Note - Please use PMs to exchange personal information.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php