Author Topic: Deciphering of Army Record  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
Deciphering of Army Record
« on: Friday 09 November 12 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I have just downloaded the entire army record (18 pages) of Harry Leslie Foster b c1885.   He was in the 15th City of London Reg. no 4031 an A/Corporal (I think this may be Fusiliers but not sure - he could have been a territorial but drafted into Rifle Brigade - not sure - I note he signed on at Somerset House - perhaps it was a Civil Service regiment?).   He was discharged in 1916 due to ill health.   He was a known asthmatic and developed chest pain, heart murmur, bronchitis and was diagnosed as having emphysema etc and discharged with a one off payment of £25.   It was a pre-existing condition so no pension granted. 

I have just started to go through his records carefully and now find that the reason for discharge is "V.D. ?F".   Didn't know that was a chest condition but suspect, however, it is army code for his chest condition - does anyone know what it is - just trying to rule out what it looks like but no mention of it elsewhere in his record.

Many thanks, Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering of Army Record
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 November 12 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just done a very quick look up, could it have been "Ventilator dependent respiratory failure". V.D.R.F
Regards, jess5athome
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 November 12 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I think you might be on the right track there .........didn't have ventilators as such then although the "iron lung" must have been about but this chap was working again when he came out of the army (he worked for the "civil service" in a Railway Clearing Office - not sure what that is) and in fact died in 1923 during an asthma attack.

There is, however, an inhaler (don't know if it was around then) called Ventolin which people can be dependent on but just don't know if that IS it.

Thanks for that.

Sue

ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 November 12 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have answered my own question:

Valvular Disease of the Heart

Sue

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 November 12 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

It says he suffered from VDH before enlistment.

He was given a Silver War Badge to prevent old ladies presenting him with a white feather - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=2456&iid=wo329_626640_1172-00116&fn=Harry+Leslie&ln=Foster&st=r&ssrc=&pid=609172

He served in the 3rd Battalion 15th County of London Regiment, aka Prince of Wales's Own Civil Service Rifles. The 1st and 2nd served overseas, so maybe his condition kept him at home training others. They moved from Richmond Park to Winchester in January 1916.

The first page says he had served 7 years with the 3rd Volunteer Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers. They were based in Edward Street, Hampstead Road, NW and in 1908 became the 3rd Battalion City of London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers). So a different unit to the one he joined in 1915.

Ken

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 November 12 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken, Thats interesting ...........the Silver Badge - had forgotten he may suffer if not in uniform.
The record I have downloaded says he was turned down for the Royal Fusiliers - it would have been good if he had been in that Regiment because his brother also was and (I think) he may have been a territorial with them before the war.   I think his chest condition was quite severe and did in fact end his life in 1923 - if he had valvular heart disease his asthma may well have been "cardiac asthma" i.e. one of his heart vales was probably failing/leaking - no replacements as far as I know, in those days.   He may well have had rheumatic fever as a child, not uncommon and a likely cause of valvular heart disease.
Sad in a way, the whole thing - he was the younger brother of William Foster GC, MC,DCM (mentioned on here before) and if anything like the rest of the family he would have been very keen to serve, instead he had to leave, died a few years later and his children had to go into a children's home so that his widow could work.

Many thanks for your help on this.

Sue

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 November 12 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Just read his papers.

Regards

Malky

Offline Foster4RF

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter Gordon Foster - 12391
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 March 13 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,
I have just started research into my father-in-laws grandfather Walter Gordon Foster and have seen from your posts that you have done so as well, but it seems there is some confusion between William and Walter.  My father-in-law Douglas Charles Foster aged 78 is the son of Charles Foster who was the son of Walter Gordon Foster.  Douglas has Walter's war medals and his death certificate.  Walter died on the 14th March 1948 at the London Hospital in the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney.  Douglas would appreciate any further information you might have on the family and would love to know more about your joint connection to Walter.
Kind regards,
Debbie and Steve Foster

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 April 13 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie and Steve,

Sorry to have taken so long to reply - been in India for 2 months.

I actually haven't researched Walter Gordon Foster at all, only William Foster.   I wish I could help you with him but have no access to any records at the moment.   William Foster's war record was amongst the "burnt series" and his Home Guard Record seems not to exist either!   He was erroneously mentioned in the Royal Fusilier War Diary as Walter Gordon Foster when he was going to be awarded the MC.   His MID card shows him as W.G. Foster (I know he was William but he may have been William George although this (George) is not on his baptismal record).   I was not the first person to research him .............the person who did so did a thorough job I think (his parents are buried in the grave next to William Foster in Wiltshire and he got interested) and during his researches he checked to see if there was another Foster i.e. Walter Gordon in the Royal Fusiliers and said there was not.    I don't think there is an error here because his medals were apparantly inscribed correctly and his army number was correct - there is more under "Armed Forces" on Rootschat on him.

He did have an older brother named Walter (Walter Henry) who was born in 1871 - he was also born in Forton Barracks as was William Foster (their father was a career serviceman in the Royal Marine Light Infantry).    His father was George Foster b1844 Astbury, Cheshire and his mother, Mary Ann Rowland b 1848 in South Africa - her father was serving in the 78th Foot out there at the time.

If you want to look at my Tree I am very happy to invite you to be a guest on it unless you have already seen it BUT recently I have made it private - do let me know by pm if you want me to make you a guest and I will happily do so so that you can check it out properly.

I am sorry I can't be of more help to your father/father-in-law.

Sue