Author Topic: North Rhynie, Fearn - location and information  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Delnyrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
North Rhynie, Fearn - location and information
« on: Sunday 14 April 13 19:46 BST (UK) »
Recently found out that a GG Aunt of mine, Catherine (Ross) Birkens died in North Rhynie, Fearn in October of 1933. I have an ordinance map of the area and while I can find a Rhynie and a Meikle Rhynie in fairly close proximity on the map - I don't find a North Rhynie. Rhynie comes up along the main road leading to the east out of Tain.

Are Meikle Rhynie and North Rhynie the same or different? I would love any information about North Rhynie - location, size etc. Thanks in advance for assistance.

Sincerely Jean Ross

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: North Rhynie, Fearn - location and information
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 April 13 20:45 BST (UK) »
The National Library of Scotland maps website will give you free access to old maps of the area, including very large-scale Ordnance Survey ones.

Offline Delnyrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 April 13 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks GR2 for the very good tip on National Library of Scotland maps site. I will give it a try!

Jean :)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 April 13 22:24 BST (UK) »
Jean, I think one of the Rhynie Ross's was a railway engineer. They've had Rhynie for over a century. Pop a wee letter in the post. I had a Mackenzie ancestor a servant there in the 18th century.

Skoosh.

Offline Delnyrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 April 13 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Skoosh,

Thanks for your response. I don't know yet what the Rhynie connection is to my Rosses as Catherine (Ross) Birkens and her siblings were all from a croft called Balavack in Delny, Invergordon.
My Ross family were either on the property in Balavack or had connections to it from about 1845 until perhaps the 1950's or so. Catherine Birkens is the only Ross relative I have found in Rhynie. You mention a Ross railway connection and Rhynie. Oddly enough Catherine Birkens husband. William who died in Dornoch in 1923 was a guard on the Highland Railway. Going back a generation or two there are connections in my Ross family to other nearby sites in Fearn including Balnagore, Mounteagle, Loandhu, and Lochslin. Any ideas on how I can pursue the North Rhynie connection further?  Jean  :)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 April 13 16:43 BST (UK) »
Jean,  have you tried these websites,
http://www.fearnpeninsula.org.uk/
http://www.tainmuseum.org.uk/

We must be related some way, my own Mackenzie's were in Loandhu for yonks and there's not much in Loandhu!
Descending from a Donald Mackenzie & Christian Ross 1811, her father might have been an Andrew Ross. A grand-daughter also married an Alex Ross, Balintore Farm.
Donald's father, also Donald, was the servant in Rhynie.

Bests,

Skoosh

Offline Delnyrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 April 13 16:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh, you are always very helpful.  :)

Both the Fearn Peninsula and the Tain Museum websites are great ones and I do refer to them fairly often.  There are times when I think I probably am related to everyone in the Fearn Peninsula if not most of Ross-shire! I'll keep your MacKenzie and Ross names in mind as you never know. My Loandhu relatives were MacCullochs. I have never been able to account for Donald Ross, one of the Ross uncles of Catherine Ross Birkens perhaps he or his family will end up being the North Rhynie connection. The search goes on!

Best to you, Jean

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 April 13 22:58 BST (UK) »
Cheers Jean, I have an Andrew Mackenzie, grieve, Clay of Allan, b. 1845,  d.1885, his wife Elspet Munro, b.1838, d.1929, dau of Donald Munro & Catherine McCulloch, so maybe something there?
My g't grannie was born in Loandhu, her sister Ebie MacKenzie gets a mention in "Peter Fraser" (New Zealand PM) his biography by James Thorn. Fraser learned his politics by participating in debates in the Fearn store, he encouraged young fishermen from The Villages to emigrate to NZ and I believe fixed them up with jobs in the docks where he was the union rep'.
He used to run messages for Ebie and refers to her in the book as the local seannachie, who knew the family histories. Sadly she died just before Fraser visited Fearn during the war.
She could doubtless have solved our problems.

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Rhynie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just saw your post and joined. North Rhynie is situated half way between Meikle Rhynie and Lochslin. I think it would have been on the Macleod of Geanies estate which was sold in 1919. The buildings are barely visable but I can remember as a child the farm workers talking North Rhynie. http://maps.nls.uk/view/74490617. If you look at this link there are buildings North of Meikle Rhynie and East of Poulafolk which IMO is North Rhynie

Rhynie