Author Topic: Newbie looking for help on Christies of Arboath  (Read 15251 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie looking for help on Christies of Arboath
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 10 July 14 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,
Old post on 'my' James Christie:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=670347.0
He had children born (none registered) in Scotland, London and Milwaukee. There is a whole history about the 'Dundee' Milwaukee Christies but I've never been able to connect my JC to them or find his death. I think I'm related from William Christie who married Christian Valentine in 1739 at Logie Pert but it's all a bit tenuous as my JC seemed very cautious about leaving any sort of paper trail...although he appeared to be happy leaving people behind.

Sorry James and Mary on the 81 census with widowed Agnes - can't find them in 91. For me the biggest mystery here is the sudden appearance of a 'dead' Barbara in 1932 - where had she been? And where is poor George in 91 he'd only be 7 years old.

? - on that PDF your grandfather is listed as a car mechanic - at time of death looks like he's a cellar man - do you know anything more about his occupations?  Time to shop!
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Tanya_K

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 10 July 14 12:24 BST (UK) »
 Have you tried Family Search or Ancestry.com? By the way, one of my great-grandmothers was born in Arbroath, Scotland; her name was Margaret Maxwell Laird. She, her mother, and siblings arrived in the U.S. in different years, but in the 1900s, and on different ships.  Some arrived in New York and others arrived in Boston. 

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 10 July 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
Well this is a bit exciting....you need to go back and look at who signed Barbara's death cert and look at the address then look here

http://www.fdca.org.uk/pdf%20files/TSReg%207501to8000.pdf

not sure what a 8.9 HP Clyno Touring Maroon is but it sounds posh for 1928!
Jen

edit:

WEDDING IN WORMIT EAST CHURCH
Beatrice Christie, only daughter of Mr and Mrs James Christie, Violetbank, Scroggieside, Wormit, to Or Douglas Currie MacGilchrist. The bridegroom is the eldest son of Col. and Mrs MacGilchrist. Calcutta, and a nephew of the late Rev. Dr MacGilchrist
17 March 1932 - Dundee Courier - Dundee, Angus, Scotland

very expensive wedding....this family jumped class - you might want to look to Calcutta and jute.  I'm putting my Christies back in their box now - good luck with your searching...

Offline nzmike

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 11 July 14 03:25 BST (UK) »
>Old post on 'my' James Christie:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=670347.0

Wow, and I thought my Christie's were tricky at times to track down.... don't envy your task!

>Sorry James and Mary on the 81 census with widowed Agnes - can't find them in 91. For me the biggest mystery here is the sudden appearance of a 'dead' Barbara in 1932 - where had she been? And where is poor George in 91 he'd only be 7 years old.

James died in 1889 and Mary in 1890 which is obviously why they weren't on the '91 census.

All I know about Barbara is that she spent some time, from 1909, at the Salvation Army in Dundee after her and James got divorced.  However by the time of her death she was back in Arbroath, at 22 Smithy Croft so who knows who she was living with - perhaps John F Christie since James was in Dundee and GJ was in NZ. 

No idea where GJ disappeared to during that time but I am pretty sure he had a very, very tough upbringing and wanted away from his family as soon he was old enough.  As I said a few posts ago he flatly refused to talk about his family to his children until the day he died and what little my own father knew he never also discussed to my knowledge - even my Mum knows almost nothing about GJ's family and was married to my Dad for more than 40 years.  I really wish now I'd asked Dad about it all but he died in 1999 and I didn't start my family research until 2008.

>on that PDF your grandfather is listed as a car mechanic - at time of death looks like he's a cellar man - do you know anything more about his occupations?  Time to shop!

I suspect, given a worldwide depression, he did whatever he could.  If people weren't buying cars then he may not have been able to get a mechanics job hence he became a cellarman.
Christie (Arbroath, Scotland and New Zealand)
Murdock/Murdoch (Scotland and New Zealand)
Rowe (Cornwall and New Zealand)
Hedrick (Scotland and New Zealand)

Offline nzmike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 11 July 14 03:30 BST (UK) »
Well this is a bit exciting....you need to go back and look at who signed Barbara's death cert and look at the address then look here

I'm a car fan so I had to google that - here's a nice picture of the same car in red: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/polyrus/24344365

WEDDING IN WORMIT EAST CHURCH
Beatrice Christie, only daughter of Mr and Mrs James Christie, Violetbank, Scroggieside, Wormit, to Or Douglas Currie MacGilchrist. The bridegroom is the eldest son of Col. and Mrs MacGilchrist. Calcutta, and a nephew of the late Rev. Dr MacGilchrist
17 March 1932 - Dundee Courier - Dundee, Angus, Scotland

Hmm, interesting - many thanks for that.... I will have to get busy on Scotlands People for that one!  Do you have a web link for that newspaper story at all? (I like to gather all that sort of info as I'm creating a family archive.)

EDIT: Don't worry, I found the story on FindMyPast. :-)

Cheers,

Mike

Offline nzmike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 11 July 14 05:15 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Family Search or Ancestry.com?

Thanks Tanya - yes, I use Family Search, Scotlands People, FindMyPast, FreeCen/FreeBMD/FreeReg and a few New Zealand ones (since that's where all my family come from in the last 2-3 generations).

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 11 July 14 10:20 BST (UK) »
Last post on this as it's just too sad!

Article - 01 July 1907 - Dundee Courier

Russia, drink and divorce....also mention of five children but states only two alive George and James one presumes...son James seems to have come through everything OK!

Jen
PS Beatice looks the spit of my Auntie May!

Offline nzmike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 12 July 14 02:37 BST (UK) »
Last post on this as it's just too sad!

Article - 01 July 1907 - Dundee Courier

Russia, drink and divorce....also mention of five children but states only two alive George and James one presumes...son James seems to have come through everything OK!

Sounds intriguing!  Where did you find that article?  I'll try looking on FindMyPast but again, it would be really helpful if you could say where you found the article and/or include a link.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 12 July 14 08:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry Mike,
It was on FindMyPast - newspaper search on Barbara Finlayson. I think it's entitled 'Arbroath woman breaksdown in Russia'...I would say enjoy reading but it is very sad.
Jen