Author Topic: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family  (Read 57197 times)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 18:21 BST (UK) »

Two more earlier ships of Thomas Goodsir, great thanks to Scarborough Marine Heritage.
 I think there was another one also before 1817, as son David was born at sea in May 1816 and I doubt, since that event happened in North Atlantic, that Mary ANN his mother would have been happy to set sail for the Americas on a little sloop, in the circumstances.

His next ship appears to have been the ‘Hope’ Thomas Goodsir;    Date of Command:

20th Oct. 1798 to 1804

Where built: Scarborough (Tindall Yard)    Year built : 1791
Date of Registration: 6th April 1791
Rig: Ship        Tonnage: 316    Dimensions: Length 98' 5"    Beam: 27' 9"
Other Details
Two Decks; Square Stern; Poop Deck
Owners
James Tindall
Robert Tindall
William Tindall    Shipbuilders of Scarborough
John Coulson       Master Mariner of Whitby
Lost with all Hands    August 1816

(The first Master with a Date of Command corresponding to the Date of Registration is named by James Buckley as John Goodsir) who was John ?? Maybe Father or Brother ?

On the 27 Dec 1802 he married  Mary Ann Harrison who was born in1784 and the daughter

of John  and  Thomasin Harrison ( Harrison family being a well known Sunderland family

of Master Mariners and Ship owners ) they went on to have at least five living children.

By  1817 Thomas was Master of the ‘Spring’,  built in Scarborough in 1802,  rig. Sloop
Length : 47’   5”   Beam 18’  9”

Best

John

Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 05 July 13 10:17 BST (UK) »
Morning/Evening Westoe

If you are around - do you know if the' Durham Country Advertiser' has an on line searchable Archive, or if not, how can you get info ( thinking of Ellingtons ).

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 05 July 13 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

No, not online. Durham County Libraries have it on microfilm, as does Durham University Library.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 05 July 13 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hello again, John,

But ... (smile) ... not to disappoint you if you have your heart set on reading old newspapers ... I've just received a link to Historical Newspapers of Finland. In Finnish of course, but British vessel names and master names are given in English, and there's always Babel or Google Translate. Lots of hits here for David Goodsir and BLACK SWAN.

http://digi.kansalliskirjasto.fi/sanomalehti/secure/query.htm

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 05 July 13 18:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Westoe

Will get onto that next - at the moment are ploughing through British Newspapers for Ellington on FindMyPast, and so far without yet having to pay ( Hope they don't read this post!!) have found him on Mary -Rising Sun -Fourth - Medcalf & Mowray - all between 1818 and 1837 with still a few thousend entries to go  - mainly 'W' ellington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 08 July 13 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe
To continue - having gone thru 5629 hits on B.N. for Ellington - I now know what there is to know about WELLINGTON ( duke of ) but not too much on our Henry Ellington - I think the first two might be someone else as by 1821 he was serving as mate on the 'Seaflower' ( time when he married Tammy's daughter ), so doubt that he was Master on ' Pegay' in 1811 or 'Mary in 1818 - What do you think?
However I think good possibles are :

'Mowbray'  several trips recorded 1824 to 1827 Sunderland to Southampton

'Metcalf'  one trip in 1827 - maybe 'Mowbray' was in dock and he did a relief for 'Metcalf's Capt.

'Rising Sun'  in 1829 & 1830 Sunderland to Exmouth ( maybe a trips for Thomasine !! )

Then later in 1830 I have 'Gunale' arr Clyde from Newfoundland  -not sure about him changing to

deep sea - then nothing before (or after) 1837 when 'Fourth' arr Littlehampton from Bogitor ??

or was it Bangor ?

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

Have you had any reply yet from your message #32 of this thread asking for the look-up of HGE Sr. in Ancestry Masters and Mates database? That's where I would start in the hopes that the Record of Service to his application for a Mate's certificate survives. If you haven't had an answer yet, I'll go to the public library for you and look it up.

I have a feeling that 'Pegay' in 1811 is a typo for 'Peggy' (sigh - such a commonly used vessel name. Ditto for 'Mary'. Needle in a haystack time.)

Yes, he could have signed on as a mate after having been a master. You'd need to look at the tonnages (master of a little vessel moving up to being mate of a big one?) and at the economic overview of the period (when jobs were hard to get, a man who'd been master might sign on as mate just to have a job).

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Westoe
No haven't had a reply to 34 yet, but it is the holiday  time - it would be nice if you could look though please ( then that is another look-up I can do for you next time in the UK ) - they are mounting up so will have to spend more time there, maybe even get North !!
Yes - needle in haystack time - as bad as finding what ship 'David was born on - at moment we have HOPE and SPRING (s) - could the next one be ETERNALLY ???
Sorry what a pun - but it is very hot here at the moment !!
In fact have come across - MALVINA Goodsir London to Newfoundland sailed downs on 31st August and had not (or now ) arrived on 23rd Oct 1815  - could be the one, to fit in between Hope and when he took Spring in 1817 have asked our very helpful researcher at Scarborough Heritage if they can find ship of that name from there or Whitby at that epoch.

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 18:38 BST (UK) »
Yes - needle in haystack time - as bad as finding what ship 'David was born on - at moment we have HOPE and SPRING (s) - could the next one be ETERNALLY ???

Hello John,

Very hot, humid, rainy and mosquito-ey here and I've just walked up that long hill from town so very pleased to find your message waiting. Thanks for the chuckle.

It may be Thursday or Friday before I can get to the library, but I will look for you.

Cheers,
Westoe