Author Topic: MOTT/MOTTE/MOTTS, All  (Read 106225 times)

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MOTT/MOTTE/MOTTS, All
« Reply #108 on: Friday 18 November 05 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheila,
Not sure what is meant about 'connected' - married into? - derived from? I have never heard or read of the name 'Mort' in my research of Mott's around the world.
I am pretty certain that there are no persons of that name in my list of marriages.
As far as the origins of the name in England, it appeared (as far as I know at present) way back in the 13th century in Essex. There was, until fairly recently, a place not far from St. Lawrence in Essex called Mott's, and referred to a farm there. It was just off the crossroads between St. Lawrence and Steeple, on the road leading to St. Lawrence Bay.  My information is that this farm was established in the 1200's.
You will possibly have read/heard that the Mott's (or De la Motte's) came over from France following the persecution of the Protestants
during Louis XIV (Edict of Nantes and all that stuff). Well maybe there were MOTT's or De la Motte's amongst them, but the name was here long before that.
You said 'This Mott family are of Norman heritage' - did you mean Mott or Mort ??
Fred
Mott; Mote; Motts; Moat; Moate; Moats etc.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Saturday 19 November 05 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Just one thing puzzles me, Jap. The list of siblings of George Henry does not tie up with what I have listed here? Did these names come off the Google page, or did you get them from another source??
Fred

Hi Fred,

Sorry I missed replying to the above message.

My information (which was incomplete) was sourced from the various Victorian BDM indexes.  Herewith some references (includes more than was in my earlier reply but still incomplete) - all from Victorian BDM Indexes unless otherwise stated.

George Henry MOTT and Allegra Haidee CHARNOCK - names were deduced from the death index entries of their children.
*MOTT Allefra (sic), father Charmock (sic) Richd, mother Elizth CHARMOCK (sic), died age 74, Kew, 1905 #13049
*MOTT Geo Hy, father Mott Isaac Hy, mother Rebecca JACKSON, died age 74, Kew, 1906 #2114

*MOTT George Golden, father George , mother Haidee Allegra CHARNOCK, born Melb, 1854 #5916
*MOTT George Gordon De, father George Henry, mother Haidee Alleg Unknown, died Melb age 1, 1855 #1941

*MOTT Ada Emily, father George Henry, mother Haidee Allegra CHARNOCK, born Beechwort, 1856 #6345
*MOTT Ada Emily, father Geo Hy, mother Allegra CHARNOCK, died Sham age 94, 1950 #7190

*MOTT Melbourne C De L, father George H, mother Allegra H, born Albury NSW, 4088/1858 (from the online NSW BDM)
    *MOTT Melbourne (born NSW) married DAVIES Emily Elizabeth (born Vic) 1902 #296
     (MOTT Emily Elizabeth, father Davies Maurice Edw, mother Mary Ann BURKE, died age 79, Melbourne, 18 Jun 1951 #7173 - certificate now downloaded, Melbourne and Elizabeth had no children)
*MOTT Melbourne, died age 56, Essendon, 1915 #1280

*MOTT Sydney A C, father George H, mother Haidee A, born Albury NSW, 4290/1859 (from the online NSW BDM)

*MOTT Elizabeth F P, father George H, mother Haidee A, born Albury NSW, 4208/1861 (from the online NSW BDM)

*MOTT Arthur B, father George H, mother Allegra H, born Albury NSW, 4111/1862 (from the online BDM)

*MOTT Fenelon De La M, father George, mother Haidee A, #4320/1863 (from the online NSW BDM)
     *MOTT Fenelon married Maud Mary SMITH (from children's death entries)
        *MOTT Fenelon De La Motte born ca 1891 (from death entry)
        *MOTT Fenelon De La Motte, died age 75, Sevi, 1966 #17779 (death entry is listed under all combinations of surname - MOTTE MOTT, DELAMOTTE MOTTE, LAMOTTE MOTT, DE LA MOTTE MOTT, MOTT; ditto father's name)
         *MOTT Allegra Maude born ca 1895 (from death entry)
         *MOTT Allegia Maude, father Fenelon de L, mother Maude SMITH, died age 75, Essendon, 1970 #2335
      *MOTT Fenelam (sic) De La Motte (born Albury) married GRENFELL Martha, 1905 #6911
*MOTT Fenelon De La, father Mott Geo Hy, mother Allegra Haidee CHARNOCK, died age 68, Richmond, 1932 #3355

*MOTT (Female), father George H, mother Allyra H, born Albury,4710 /1865 (from the online NSW index)
*MOTT (Female), father George H, mother Atlegra H, died Albury, 2262/1865 (from the online NSW index)

*MOTT Walter Archibald Boyer, father George Henry, mother Allegra Haidee CHARNOCK, born Beec, 1864 #13366

*MOTT William C, father George H, mother Haidee A, Albury, 5122/1867 (from the online NSW index
*MOTT William (born Albu), father George , mother Allegra Unknown, died in Victoria, age 1, 1869 #2790

*MOTT Hamilton Charnoc, father George Henry, mother Allegea {sic} CHARNOCK, born Hami, 1871 #16628
      *MOTT Hamilton Charnock (b Hton) m GRAVE Evelyn May, 1902 #4379
               *MOTT Haidee Frances Leonard, father Hamilton Charnock, mother Evelyn May GRAVE, born Hawthorn, 1903 #11025

*MOTT Horace Decimus, father Geo Hy, mother Allegra Haidee CHARNOCK, born Hami, 1873 #9709
      *MOTT Horace Decimus married Margaret Agnes MILLAR (from birth entry of son)
            *MOTT Geo Horace, father Decimus Horace, mother Margt Agnes MILLAR, born Hawthorn, 1903 #11057
            *MOTT George Horace, father Mott Decimus, mother Margaret MILLAR, died age 64, Heidelberg, 1968 #2151
*MOTT Decimus Horace, father Mott Geo Hy, mother Allegra Haidee CLAIROCH {sic}, died age 74, Melbourne, 1947 #11035

*MOTT Margaret Evelina, father George Henry, mother Alleynex {sic}Haidee CHARNOCK, born Hami, 1875 #23323
*FALCONER Margaret Evelina, father Mott George, mother Allegran Charnock, died age 84, St Kilda, 1958 #1268

Regards,

JAP

Offline SheMughal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Saturday 19 November 05 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred:
I am not related to the Mott family and therefore have had no reason to get involved with any of your research. I am sure you will understand as a researcher yourself, that one gets very involved in the family name of interest and therefore has very little interest in any other surnames outside of this.

I am part of a large group of people (some of which are professional genealogist) who have managed to trace the Mort family back to the 12th century in Lancashire. We have recently been looking into the origins of our names and as one does with very thorough research, (leaving no stones unturned) we have looked at all the names that could have either derived from Mort or be a Derivation of Mort (such as Mortimer, Morton etc). We don't beleive in dismissing any association. I use the word connection very loosely because until something more definate has been proved (or not) I would not make any conclusive statements.

I came across the Mott name as I have been recently researching the Mort family crest/ coat of arms. Useful to do as the symbolism gives away interesting clues in family research.

Doing any word searches via the interenet, one will inevitably come across the Hereldry sites that sell you a family crest and even give you a scroll detailing the meaning of your surname. Should you do a look up in these sites, you will find that they state that the surname of 'Mort' came from or was associated with the names of Mott/ Motte/ De Mott and Demott. Don't kill the messanger please.
These sites also state that you are of Norman heritage as from 1066.

We personally do not believe that Mott and Mort are one and the same surname that somehow lost or gained a letter through the centuries. Like the Mott family, we have been told we were French in origin but have found the Mort name has been in England for a long time. As such I do not want to confuse anyone.It is the surname internet research sites who are stating that we are one and the same surname. See  http://www.houseofnames.com/coatofarms_details.asp?sId=&s=Mort

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Saturday 19 November 05 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. I too am not a Mott - I just married one! Started the one-name study just over 25 years ago. Seemed like a good idea at the time - never thought that I would spend a quarter of a century doing it.
Don't know about the Mott's being of 'Norman Heritage'. When you think about it I guess every family in the land has foreign blood if you could go far enough back!!
Thanks again,
Fred
Mott; Mote; Motts; Moat; Moate; Moats etc.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Sunday 20 November 05 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Fred/tradelin,

I've made some changes/additions to my post above about George Henry MOTT and Allegra Haidee CHARNOCK, and their descendants.

My (1st cousin twice removed) Elizabeth Emily (or Emily Elizabeth) DAVIES and her husband  Melbourne Charnock Delamotte MOTT did not have children (her death certificate, under issue, reads "Not any").

From searching the Web in the distant past, I had been aware that the MOTT family were newspaper proprietors.

An uncle of mine (no longer with us) had once said to my niece that there were relatives called MOTT who were newsagents in Essendon (that's how I found Melbourne Charnock Delamotte MOTT some years back and, with such wonderful names, how could I resist following Melbourne's family up further) - perhaps that's what Melbourne Charnock Delamotte did for a living, or perhaps it was a confusion with Elizabeth Emily (DAVIES) MOTT's father, Maurice Edward DAVIES, who was a Newsagent in Essendon (a suburb of Melbourne).  Given that my Uncle was born in 1916, and Melbourne had died in 1915, that seems possible - though another possibility might be that the widowed Elizabeth Emily/Emily Elizabeth (DAVIES) MOTT ran her father's newsagency after her father's death in 1926; now that I've downloaded her death cert and have a specific date of death, I must look in the 1951 Melbourne newspapers for notices.

Are the Victorian MOTTs connected to your wife's MOTTs - or just a peripheral part of your one-name study.

Regards,

JAP

Offline soreofhing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Saturday 07 April 07 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
I Googled and came upon #54 MSV where he mentions 34 Frances Street, Battersea.
I have a copy of my g.grandparents marriage certificate dated 28 Jan. 1900 and Daniel BROOKER gave his address as what looks like "34 Frances Street, Battersea". 
I can't find this anywhere on a map.
Does anyone know where this address was/is?
Soreofhing in Mexico

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred & Motts everywhere

Its been a while since anybody posted on this thread - I hope somebody is still reading it!!!

I wanted to add my Mott interests which appear to originate from the Bottisham area of Cambridgeshire. I would be very grateful if you could tell me if my research matches your own findings.

I'm pretty sure I have traced my family correctly as far back as James Mott born 1764 Kirtling, Cambs to William Mott and Catherine Sargent who married in Kirtling in 1761. I think that William must be the one born 1738 to Thomas and Sarah Mott.  A Thomas Mott of Bottisham married a Sarah Nichols in Cambridge 1737 which all fits.
There is a baptism of a Thomas Mott to William and Elizabeth Mott 1706 Bottisham and if all the above is true I think the Motts can be traced back a couple of generations in Bottisham

Anyway, I would be interested in your thoughts and If you would like more details on this branch please let me know.

Lyla
LONDON: Flewers/Fluers, Pullen, Leary, Griffiths, Wood, Mitchell. HERTS: Barker, Bates, Dickens, Hutchins, Slater, King, Kent, Overill, Peters. BEDS/BUCKS: Whitbread, Horley, Seabrook, Horn(e), Jenkins, Woodward. BERKS/HAMPS: Gibson, Tigg, Boames, Parker SUFFOLK: Mason, Mott, Suttle, Twitchett, Everard, Feveryar, Riches, Clarke, Harper, Potter, Brinkley. BRISTOL: Mitchell, Pullen. CLACKMANNANSHIRE/FIFE, Keir, Sym(e), Watson, GLASGOW/IRELAND: Collins, Brown, Paterson. IRELAND: Leary, Collins

Offline bootzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 05:03 BST (UK) »
Hope someone still  reads this site....
Asking for a Birth lookup on a Robert MOTT please.

I have a Robert MOTT b 1814 Suffolk marries Mary WEBB 1839 in Risbridge and
leaves for Australia with their young son Walter b 1844 Newmarket and daughter Rosetta who dies at sea.
Robert, Mary and Walter arrive in Adelaide June 1851 on "Reliance"
They have another daughter b 1855 and called her Rosetta, Margaret 1858, Emma 1858, Henry Nathan 1857, and Joseph 1860. all born in SA and then the children move to NSW and both Rosetta & Margaret marry into the CHANT family.

I am chasing information on Robert's parents as NSW BMD has a death for a Robert MOTT in 1876 showing a James Mott & Mary Ann nee ?? as parents.

regards
Bootzy - Australia

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Bootzy

I have only come across one Robert Mott from Suffolk so far that might fit. He was tried with his cousin George Pulham for Arson in 1835 aged 20. George Pulham was executed but I do not know what happened to Robert Mott who was acquitted. You can see the story at this link.

http://www.geocities.com/foreman57uk/index-page12.html

My Motts were in Lidgate, Suffolk around that time although I haven't yet fitted the aforementioned Robert into my tree. I would be interested to know the details of your Robert's marriage to Mary Webb - maybe his father is listed and can be traced in the census - or there may be useful witnesses.

Let me know if you ever find any connection to Lidgate Suffolk, or further back to Kirtling and Bottisham Cambridgeshire.

Good luck in your research

Lyla
LONDON: Flewers/Fluers, Pullen, Leary, Griffiths, Wood, Mitchell. HERTS: Barker, Bates, Dickens, Hutchins, Slater, King, Kent, Overill, Peters. BEDS/BUCKS: Whitbread, Horley, Seabrook, Horn(e), Jenkins, Woodward. BERKS/HAMPS: Gibson, Tigg, Boames, Parker SUFFOLK: Mason, Mott, Suttle, Twitchett, Everard, Feveryar, Riches, Clarke, Harper, Potter, Brinkley. BRISTOL: Mitchell, Pullen. CLACKMANNANSHIRE/FIFE, Keir, Sym(e), Watson, GLASGOW/IRELAND: Collins, Brown, Paterson. IRELAND: Leary, Collins