Author Topic: James Stone Married a Charlotte, is this Charlotte Muttick/Muddock?  (Read 1516 times)

Offline chrisbearman84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Stone Married a Charlotte, is this Charlotte Muttick/Muddock?
« on: Sunday 15 June 14 17:08 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for a Marriage of a James Stone (Born around 1855, Southolt, Suffolk) and a Charlotte (Born around 1858/9, Redlingfield, Suffolk).

I can find a marriage between a Charlotte Muttick (Muddock) and James Stone on 21 May 1877. However reading through www.muddocks.com, there are a few glaring major differences between what I have found out already (I have James Stone's Father John Stone being 20 years older, I have 8 children instead of 2 children (with only one being a match)).

Every other user I can see on Ancestry has the marriage I have mentioned above. Can anyone help me prove this is the right marriage, or advice how I can go about this?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: James Stone Married a Charlotte, is this Charlotte Muttick/Muddock?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 June 14 17:18 BST (UK) »
You really need one of the children's birth certificates which would give the mothers maiden name.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 June 14 20:25 BST (UK) »
Looking at the census etc. it would certainly appear to be the right marriage.   (Charlotte b.1858 as Muddock and census shows her as (born Redlingfield), daughter of Ishmael Muddock and wife Elizabeth.   This family name seems to vary between records as Muddock or Muttick).   On census before she married she is listed as a servant as Muttick!

The online link you give to www.muddocks.com does not work so cannot make any comparison to what is on that site.

The census shows that James' father John Stone was bc.1813 Southolt and that ties in with the trees I've seen on ancestry that show his baptism as 2/5/1813.

You should only go with your own findings and not compare to other trees on the internet.   Just follow the facts and not what someone else says.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 June 14 20:26 BST (UK) »
Rosie is of course quite right that a birth cert would confirm the mother and hence the marriage.  A couple of thoughts occur:  FreeBMD has the Q2 1877 marriage Hoxne district (includes Southolt) of James and Charlotte Muttick so that marriage looks OK..  Secondly, do the other trees etc you have looked at cite the original sources or, as so often happens, are they perhaps copies of each other's (dare one say it) wishful thinking?  Censuses from 1881 do show a James/Charlotte Stone family with eventually eight children.  MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia