Author Topic: Berryhill coldingham  (Read 2491 times)

Offline diavalos

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Berryhill coldingham
« on: Sunday 02 March 14 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone tell me something about Berryhill Coldingham. I am researching William Fair who was a tennant there in 1794 when he was married to Elizabeth Lunham and in 1804 when his son was born. I believe that he died there in 1840. Just interested in whether Berryhill was an area or a farm, was it an estate?  I have searched the internet and can only come up with holiday cottages called Berryhill. I do not know the area at all and would like to be able to place William Fair in rightful place
Thankyou

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Berryhill coldingham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 March 14 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi diavalos,

Can only find the following ref. for Berryhill, Coldingham in “Coldingham Parish & Priory” published 1908
https://archive.org/stream/coldinghamparis00thomgoog/coldinghamparis00thomgoog_djvu.txt

"224 HOUSES AND LANDS
BROCKHOLES. — The Lands of Brockholes, lying on the south of the North British Railway near Grantshouse, were at one time famous for badgers — hence the name. It is now famed for the number and quality (weight) of its hares. Two outstanding landmarks deserve notice. There is a stone wall, 8 ft. wide at its base, within sight of Renton School-house. It is built of loose land-gathered stones. There may also be seen the remains of pits, which in the olden time were used for the steeping of lint The Lands have, from an early date, formed part of the barony of Bonkyl and Preston, and until the beginning of last century were held by the powerful House of Douglas. BERRYHILL, which is included in the Lands of Brockholes, had entirely disappeared in the middle of last century, when the proprietor erected the present gamekeeper's house on the old site."

Graham Maxwell Ancestry is an excellent site for searching addresses through the 1841-61 censuses, but can’t find Berryhill listed.  In 1841 there is a William Fair, 35 (Ag Lab); Jane Fair 35 & Edward Fair 30 (Ag Lab) at Bankhouse which is in the vicinity of Brockholes:
http://www.maxwellancestry.com/census/41transcript.aspx?houseid=73204006

Following on from that, in 1841 there was a William Fair, Independent, born 1771 & Elizabeth Fair, born 1766, both Roxburghshire, living at Longlee, Rox.  I know it’s a different county but could they connect to the people you’re looking for?

Offline diavalos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 March 14 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant thanks very much for that. All very useful.
Thankyou

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 March 14 02:09 GMT (UK) »
diavalos I think you may have emailed me about this. Did you get my lengthy email reply about Berryhill on 7th March? I haven't heard from you since. I included maps showing where it was/is.

Offline diavalos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 March 14 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou yes i did receive your e-mail and i am really sorry i have not replied before one of those weeks i am afraid. The information was really helpful and the maps help to sort out distances from one place to another. I will private e-mail you when i have done a bit more and let you know how i have faired excuse the pun.
Thankyou again for your help.
Joyce