Author Topic: Robert Cumming 1698 of Elgin, Moray  (Read 2190 times)

Offline coffieqween

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Cumming 1698 of Elgin, Moray
« on: Tuesday 04 June 13 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am trying to find out the parents of Robert Cumming born abt 1698 in Elgin, Moray, according to the baptism record of Alex (Alexander) Cumming born 08/08/1730 his parents are the said Robert Cumming and Christian Allan (born bat 1702). I have been unable to find a marriage record for Robert Cumming and Christian Allan and can only assume they were not officially married, if any one can help or point me in the right direction to  find this information, I am currently using Ancestry.co.uk and ScotlandsPeople for my research.

Many Thanks
Cumming, Henderson, Gemmell (Gamble, Gimble), Small, Donnagheu?, Watt, Moyes, Cranston, Rice and many more

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Cumming 1698 of Elgin, Moray
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 23:42 BST (UK) »
The Old Parish Registers for Scotland are notoriously incomplete when you go back so far: in fact many parishes hadn't even started keeping one. I've just checked the ScotlandsPeople list of surviving OPRs for Elgin and they have baptisms for 1609-1679 and then from 1705-31 but if records were being kept from 1680 to 1705 then they haven't survived. Marriage records for Elgin only start in 1705.

Just because there isn't a surviving marriage record in the OPR doesn't mean they weren't married, although an irregular marriage is always a possibility. It often means, however, that the record of their marriage either never made it into the OPR in the first place, or it did and the OPR for that year was lost, destroyed, or is illegible.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 07:58 BST (UK) »
When stuck like this, a possibility is to look at all the baptisms in the parish. Your ancestors may have witnessed the baptisms of relatives and relatives may have witnessed the baptisms of the children of your ancestors. I have found several people this way. Look at the index to see if there are other children born to Alexander and Christian, or if there are other Cumming baptisms which may be of Alexander's nieces and nephews.

Offline coffieqween

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi JMStrachan and GR2

Thank you for the advise I will try looking at other baptisim records for possible family members.

Cumming, Henderson, Gemmell (Gamble, Gimble), Small, Donnagheu?, Watt, Moyes, Cranston, Rice and many more

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 June 13 10:19 BST (UK) »
I have been unable to find a marriage record for Robert Cumming and Christian Allan and can only assume they were not officially married.

The more logical assumption, given the date, is that they were married but no record of their marriage has not survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.