Author Topic: Help wanted - Nelligan family  (Read 3880 times)

Offline dms2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help wanted - Nelligan family
« on: Sunday 01 January 12 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my wife's family history on her maternal grandfathers side.

The name is Nelligan, and they emigrated to the USA, but originated, I believe, In Kerry, Ireland.

The information I have is as follows:

Dennis NELLIGAN born 1815-18 in Kerry, Ireland.
Married Joanna MURPHY, born 1822 Ireland

Emigrated to the USA in 1850 via New Orleans.

Their son was John NELLIGAN was born in Kerry, also emigrated to the USA.

John NELLIGAN married a Johanna KEANE in Louisville, Kentucky, although KEANE was born in Ireland.

KEAN'S parents were Jeremiah KEANE and Mary CONNORS

Any help with the above, or with the family names, would be appreciated.

Researching: (Stevenson / London, Leicestershire);  (Johnstone /Clydebank); (Albon/Bedfordshire); (Furby/London); (Harrison/West Yorkshire) (Marshall, Martin / County Down)  (Thompson, Reinhardt, Nelligan, Rothfuss/Kentucky-USA): Mattingley, Metcalf, Senior, Burnley, Hall, Allott, Scholes
Locations: London, Bedfordshire, Leicestershire, West Yorkshire, County Down, Kentucky - USA

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted - Nelligan family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 January 12 21:38 GMT (UK) »
The place to start for people from Co. Kerry is the parish records on www.irishgenealogy.ie, but I'm not seeing a likely marriage for Dennis and Mary at the moment..

Do you know what part of Co. Kerry they lived or when the son was born ?

see:
    Introduction to Irish Records
    My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 12 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

There is a Denis Neligan marrying a CATHERINE MURPHY on 10th August 1841 in Ballyferriter, Kerry.  Is it possible that you may have your Murphy's christian name mistaken ?

Just a theory !!

Tara

Offline dms2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you both for the replies.  I think I have Joanna's name right, but you never know!  I will take a look at the web site, and see what I can find.  The info I do have is very sparse. I might try to look at the KEAN / CONNORS connection, although I have no idea at all where in Kerry they might have come from.

My wife's grandfather Nelligan still lives in the USA, but doesn't really remember much.  All the family documents, along with a lot else, were destroyed in the 1937 flood, so nothing survives.

Thanks for the pointers though.  If I find anything more, I'll post again.
Researching: (Stevenson / London, Leicestershire);  (Johnstone /Clydebank); (Albon/Bedfordshire); (Furby/London); (Harrison/West Yorkshire) (Marshall, Martin / County Down)  (Thompson, Reinhardt, Nelligan, Rothfuss/Kentucky-USA): Mattingley, Metcalf, Senior, Burnley, Hall, Allott, Scholes
Locations: London, Bedfordshire, Leicestershire, West Yorkshire, County Down, Kentucky - USA

Offline 600mommaame

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 23 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Dorothy nelligan is my paternal grandmother. The murphys were my 2nd or 3 cousins. If that helps. Catherine was her mother. If I can help. Let me know. I can fill you in on what I know.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 January 23 11:51 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Dorothy nelligan is my paternal grandmother. The murphys were my 2nd or 3 cousins. If that helps. Catherine was her mother. If I can help. Let me know. I can fill you in on what I know.

Unfortunately dms2000 hasn't been active on RootsChat since November 2014 so you may not receive a response. If his email is still current, then he will receive a notification of your post and will hopefully return.

Good luck  :)

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline dms2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I'm still here, although haven't used the forum recently. Can you tell me more about Dorothy Nelligan so I can see if it's someone in our tree. My wife's grandmother was Doris Neligan but it's been a while since I looked at that side of the tree and I don't recall a Dorothy Nelligan off the top of my head.
David

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 February 23 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Try https://www.facebook.com/groups/1896426497260664 Dingle Peninsula Genealogy - there's a few with Neligan connections there. A DNA test would be helpful...