Author Topic: Stalybridge  (Read 8295 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stalybridge
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome from me too.

It does seem a strong possibility that those two Johns are the same but as ever unless there is documentation it is not proven. Deepcar is a good connection though.
I don't think John the son of Ross/Leach is yours as he is in the census with parents Jacob and Hannah and when married is on the same street.

There is one worth looking at though. I am assuming you have census access? This one is based in Mossley and his mother is born Woodhead and aunt born Staley. Of course again though, this is just for you to consider.

1881 4059/79/55. Mossley

John T Ross 7 yrs born Mossley with family
Sally Holroyd grandmother
Hannah Ross daughter of Sally and others

1891 3295/137/34

Transcribed as John B Ross 17 yrs b Rochdale

1901 he is not with his mother and aunt.

I will leave this in case someone else thinks like me but it is not him! He is in 1911 index John Thomas Ross born Rochdale, living in Mossley!
Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meadowside236

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood - thanks for your help!

I do have census access via the ancestry website - I just came across John son of Ross/Leach married still living in Oldham later too so I guess he's out...

My understanding is the transcriptions for Aston under lyne are up to date so it's not likely its there but hasn't been transcribed yet?  I've checked on several of the different sites so far and come up with the same...

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 11:27 BST (UK) »
On his son's birth certificate in 1905 he's still living in Deepcar and is down as as a machine fitter.
Hi David and a warm welcome from me. :)
Could you tell us a bit more about his son?
If John wasn't married did he have a partner. It may help to find him in the 1911 census :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meadowside236

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Rolnora,

Yes John doesn't appear to have married - his partner was Flora Dyche (nee Herbert - 1876-1915) who appears to have separated from her husband Mark Dyche sometime between 1896 and 1901.

Flora and John's son Allan is named Allan Ross on his birth certificate in 1905, and christened Allan Ross Dyche in 1905 - after this he is known as either Allan Ross Dyche or Allan Dyche. On the birth certificate the name and address of both parents are 'John Ross and Flora Dyche formerly Herbert', both of 7 Brick Row, Deepcar, Stocksbridge (Sheffield).

Allan also has a sister, Ida Ross Dyche (1903-1968) - I haven't seen her birth certificate but with Ross as the middle name I'm assuming John Ross may have been her father too.

In the 1911 Census Flora Dyche is down as head of the household with Ada Dyche and Allan Dyche children of the household, but no mention of John Ross.

In 1915 Flora Dyche died of typhoid at 7 Brick Row, Deepcar, and Allan and Ida were being cared for by their grandparents (Flora's parents - George A Herbert (1857- ) and Ann Herbert (1855- ) but there's no mention of John Ross at this point. So presumably he was not around from some time after 1905 onwards...

When Flora Dyche died in 1915 she was still officially married to Mark Dyche, and in his WW1 documents her address is down as 7 Brick Row, Deepcar, different to his own address. He was killed in 1916 and a widows pension from the War Office was paid for the maintenance of Allan and Ida.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 12:23 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this could be his death

John Ross

Birth Date about 1873

Date of Registration Sep 1949

Age at Death 76

Registration districtSheffield

Inferred CountyYorkshire West Riding

Volume 2d Page 86

Offline meadowside236

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 13:17 BST (UK) »
Yes I had the same thought...

Would his death certificate be likely to provide any more info on his place of birth?

.. that I guess the second question is, are they available to search online anywhere or is it a case of going to the archive where it's stored?

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 13:19 BST (UK) »
The death certificate wouldn't give his place of birth. It should have an informant but that could be a member of his family or staff from a care home so might not be of much help. It should give the place of death.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 13:27 BST (UK) »
I was wondering who Samuel Clarke was. I can't seem to see him in Oldham.

John T Leigh  29
 Lizzie Leigh  28
 Harold Hides  15
 Samuel Clarke  25 born Oldham
 John Ross  26 born Stalybridge

Offline Linda Beech

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 21 February 15 01:11 GMT (UK) »
I had an uncle named allan ross dyche who married a rosalie adria heathcote. They lived at 13 carr road deepcar .  They had a son named richard adrian who died on march 11th 2014