Author Topic: St James Altham, Lancs - Grave Lookup  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St James Altham, Lancs - Grave Lookup
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
HAC is Lancashire Libraries' internal code for Accrington , so don't google that bit
Why the H in an abbreviation of Accrington I wonder?  Trying to sound posh - Haccrington?  ;D

You've probably found it by now; Address is
St James' Street , Accrington , Lancashire, BB5 1NQ
email: accrington.library 'at' lancashire.gov.uk

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ppen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 16:54 BST (UK) »
Barbara ,and anybody else still interested in this..

I have been on the Lancashire Library website again and got on the "Talk to a Librarian" page (now that reminds me of certain sketch from Father Ted) .

Turns out to be a good service and  I was  contacted  straight back by a Librarian from Kent who emailed Accrington with my query.

They were sorry to hear that somebody had been told they didn't have a copy (When they did) and pointed out it does say on the web page you should check with the library the availability before you visit....mmmmm
Since then they have been in contact and said yes they do have a copy ,for reference only not withdrawl ,and that very few of these were made and that they are  now falling to bits,they also offered to do a look up for me if I could not get somebody to go in .
 I think that  is what I will try  first as I cannot keep hoping people can go in for me ,hopefully that will work,I get the info and we can all get on with our lives,and maybe it will help anybody else looking for these records

Thanks again
Paul

Offline ppen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 August 14 17:23 BST (UK) »

OK so I have  now had two long "Talks with a Librarian" from Accrington.Thank you Katherine
and she was able to look up the Monumental Inscription for John Wotton Pengelly at Altham Churchyard and .........There was one but unfortunately It told me nothing I didn't already know! There was no inscription for the other couple the Tattersall who supposedly share the grave with the Pengellys ,infact nobody apart from John and Sarah are mentioned so no "Family Vault".

Without any connection being found between them and Altham the best we could come up with is he  conducted  a burial there liked  the area /view etc and showed it to Sarah and they agreed to be buried there ,rather in the municipal cemetery on Whalley New Road ,or with her family in Cumbria.
In the end it turned out to be a bit further than the 10 miles away as he had to be brought up almost 200 miles from  Aylburton near Chepstow ,so they did well to get him that far in 4 days.

Thanks again for all the help

Paul

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 August 14 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for letting us know the outcome -- the 'connection' with the Tattersalls may yet surface -- you never know.

In the meantime it's just an interesting mystery -- still to be resolved, as to why the burials took place at Altham. If you ever find out -- please let us know!

I wonder if John came up by train for his burial? It wasn't the most convenient of journeys from Chepstow to little Altham, at that time.

Regards June
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 14 August 14 19:57 BST (UK) »
Maybe we could encourage the LFHHS to produce a copy of the Altham M.I.s for publication? cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline ppen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 15 August 14 07:48 BST (UK) »

From what the Librarian said it seems like the Monumental Inscriptions Altham (like a lot of similar items) are "wearing out" these were produced in 1983 so 31 years Is a long time for a "Booklet" to last on library shelves.
That is probably why they were so difficult to locate ,presumably they sent out 1 or 2 copies to the places we thought they were sent and gradually they fell to pieces and were withdrawn ,you can only repair them so many times,trouble is when the last one goes so much is lost.

If I find out any connection between Tattersalls -Pengellys I will let you know the outcome.

Regards
Paul