Author Topic: Nash of Glanmire Cork  (Read 19814 times)

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nash of Glanmire Cork
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the recent replies. 

Sorry for the delay in responding, to my shame it's been a very long time since I looked at this site....   

I don't know anything about Henrietta Nash - need to do some more work...  However, to date I've not found any connection with Llewelyn Nash...

Am delighted to hear Hugh Jagoe is descended from Joseph Nash - fabulous news!  Not heard of William Bensted Nash before.  Have sent Hugh a personal message.

Theodore Octavius Bennett (Priscilla Rebecca's brother-in-law) married Vescina Eliz Nash the daughter of Henry Cornwall Nash [Nash if Brinny] and Elizabeth Johnson.  Does anyone know how Prissie's grandfather, Ryder Nash, was related to the Nash tribe of Brinny?

Offline hugh jagoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
William Bensted Nash, my Gf was born in Cape Town in 1881 to Joseph and Ester (nee Smith).Joseph had previously made his fortune on the Kimberly diamond mines. Havent traced Birth certs etc. Brother Ryder was also born in Cape Town . They returned to Co. Cork when William was 2 weeks old. Their father, also a Joseph bought a small "estate" near the other family farms. The family farm, originally owned by a Joseph (Lake Lodge in Glanmire?) was run by Ryder and Sam who didnt marry. I dont know where the "SA" Joseph bought had his estate, or names. The estate had a double story house. It must have been fairly large as they had a number of servants, horses and a coachman. Alfred Claud (1882 and two sisters were born during this time. William remembered (I have a 1954 letter he wrote to my mother) that he had two aunts, both of whom married army officers. One husband was Col Bennett who became a general in WW1. He couldn't remember the other aunt.
The family returned to South Africa in about 1888/9 on the SS Trojan, landing in Port Elizabeth. Alfred Claud must have been left behind and was adopted out to his uncle James who was an unmarried doctor living in London.
The Joseph bought the farm Broxley outside Grahamstown (north east of Port Elizabeth). They farmed cattle, horses and goats. I know the region and its fairly dry. A local farmer recently told me that it is thought that a young girl drowned on the farm, maybe a sister of William's (?).
Alfred Claud visited the farm in about 1904 and then went off to South America to visit an uncle (John?) who hadmarried into a cattle ranching family "of high status". Alfred Claud might have spent as long as 2 years in South America before going back to Ireland or England (?). He joined the army and was posted to France in 1916. In October 1917 he was commissioned as a Captain. He was awarded the Military Cross and was gassed. His Unit was the RH. Artillery, at some stage.
I think he married (dont know who?) and had a few children. He must have deserted his wife because he later had another lady with whom he had at least one son. During this second relationship he might have spent time in Cork as he wrote to William in about April 1954. he might have been hiding and maybe not divorced. Sadly his issue from the second relationship doesnt know anything about his parents.
I dont know what happened to Broxley except they battled finncially to the extent that they could not afford to send William to school.
My daughter will be visiting Broxley farm in early January 2013 so hope to get more info.

William married a Kate Grimshaw (date ?), who was English born and only had one daughter, my mother, in 1924. William and Kate divorced (date?) and he remarried Louis (?). He spent most of his working life in what is now Maputo, Mozambique in the timber import / export business. Not sure when he retired. When I knew him in the mid to late 1960s he lived in a small village, Parys, on the Vaal River. Both William and Louis died in Durban in the late 1970s within 6 weeks of eachother. I lived close by and was not informed by the old age home where they lived. Apparently some "local" relatives collected their belonggings. I have no idea who they could be
Am having troubles navigating the South African archives but have a historian friend helping.
Any help with the Nash stay in Cork from early 1880s to 1904 would be helpful. Partivularly about the girls. I want to find the passenger list for the SS Trojan that they traveled on to Port Elizabeth in about 1888/9.
Cheers, Hugh.

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 November 12 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hugh!

So much info!  Where do I start....?

Ryder Nash m Rebecca Moxly in 1799 in Cork

Joseph Nash (s/o Ryder and Rebecca)  m Elizabeth Williams in 1843; she was the d/o Joseph Williams and Mary Bennett.

Joseph and Elizabeth's four children were:

a. Mary Emily b c 1851 Glanmire.  She married Lt Col. Richard Dawson Bennett 15/6/1877 in Rathcooney
This couple's childen were:
1. Mabel Constance b 1879 m Harold Beresford Heelas
2. Violet maud b 1881 Barbados
3. Richard Shaw de Courcy Bennett b 1885 Secunderabad India, died 1955.  Richard married Ruby Montagu Hall in London

b. Priscilla Rebecca b 1854 in Glanmire, died 1930.  Priscilla m Lt Col Charles Henry Bennett 15/2/1881in Bombay Cathedral (my gt X1 grandparents).
Priscilla and Charles Henry Bennett's children were
1. LT Col Thomas Edwin Bennett b 22/11/1882 Jabalpur West Bengal, India. Thomas Edwin died 1925 in Brighton. He married Mabel Henry [Mabel remarried and lived with her second husband [William Falcon] at Clansthal, Umkomaas, Natal - small world eh?]
2. Sybil Mildred b 1883 Kamptee India
3. Evelyn May b 1887 Cork
4. Colleen Irene b 22/6/1891 in Bangalore india.  Colleen married Percival Petrie 1932 in Staines

c. Samuel A Nash. dob unknown, Sam farmed Lake Lodge - sheep farmer

d. Ryder Joseph Nash died 22/9/1917 in Peckham London. He married Charlotte Susanna Fuller 13/10/1877 in Shepherd's Bush London'  Ryder and Charlotte's children were:
1. Nora Josephine b 27/8/1878 in Cork.  Nora married James Good 11/1/1902 in Bombay India.
2. Ryder Percival Nash born 10/1/1880 at Park House Ballincrossig, Glanmire. Ryder Percival was an RAMC surgeon.  He died 18/12/1957 in Poole Dorset. 

Now it gets interesting (well, for me it's interesting!) Theodore Octavius Bennett married Vescina Eliz Cornwall Nash 1889 in Bandon (according to the family, the couple were cousins).  Vescina descended from the Nash of Brinny family.

So two Bennett brothers [Charles Henry Bennett and Richard Dawson Bennett] married Nash sisters, and another Bennett brother [Theodore Octavius] married a Nash cousin!

Regarding the your "General" reference, none of the Bennett boys rose to such dizzy heights, but Lt Col Thomas Edwin Bennett was one of the Pall bearers at the Unknown Warrior's funeral in 1920. 

Hugh: Suggest you email me, will contact you privately with my email address.  Cheers!

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 November 12 16:28 GMT (UK) »
More on Hugh's Nash ancestors:

There is a considerable amount of info regarding  Alfred Claud Nash on the web.

Passenger lists confirm Alfred Claud Nash visited South Africa at least twice, returning to the UK in 1905 and again in 1908.  He arrived back in England from Buenos Aires 1914

He is mentioned in the Supplement to the London Gazette published 1/1/1917

Someone purchased Alfred's private Id braclet disc at an antique fair for just £9.00!!!!  Photos of the disc are on the web.   
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=163449

Offline SherlocksKanturk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 December 12 17:03 GMT (UK) »
hey iam looking into research for nash/croft/sherlock burried at kilbrin kanturk cork. there is a tomb there that dates back to 1800 and was wondering if joseph nash could be linked to this

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 December 12 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks!   Unfortunately I have no idea whether there's a connection - do you know what is inscribed on the tomb - names, dates?

Offline tmurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 March 14 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I now live at Lake Lodge Glanmire. My father bought the Farm from William O'Brien in 1960. We lived in the old big house for a few years. Park farm is adjoining and there is evidence of constructed gateways between the two farms. Tim Murphy

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 March 14 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  I'd love to hear more details.   Have you any photos of the properties you are willing to share?

Will send you a message.

:)

Offline tmurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 March 14 17:15 GMT (UK) »
I have memories of the old farm yard and buildings. I have a photo of the entrance which I will share in a few days. I may be able to get a photo of the front of the old house which had a basement, a ground floor and firs floor. The yard had an orchard, smoke house, tackle house, generator house, slaughter house, stables, old telephone exchange, several deep wells, a ram to pump water from bottom land - 300 feet down hill. The old dwelling house was demolished circa 1966. The farm used to supply meat via horse and dray to the barracks in cork City. There was a lodge at the gate and laborer houses on the road at the end on the hill.