Author Topic: Help needed for Minnie  (Read 3733 times)

Offline MrBluesman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed for Minnie
« on: Tuesday 13 January 09 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I wonder if anyone can help me with a search for a birth and family of a Minnie Magill. My Great Grandmother Minnie White died in 1950 on her death certificate it says she was aged 76 which puts her birth around 1874 on the English Census of 1901 it has her age as 28 which makes it about 1873 and the census of 1911 says she was 37 so again 1874. The 1911 census says she was born in Scotland, Falkirk Stirling. I have got 3 of her childrens Birth certificates 2 of them say her maiden name was Macgill 1 says Magill and when her eldest child got married she had a maiden name of Magill as she wasn't a White.

Regards
Andrew
White, Ashworth, Johnson, Arrowsmith, Seyfang, Mulhearn, Clarke, Carter

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed for Minnie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What was her fathers name on her marriage certificate?

Was Minnie a corruption of another christian name (eg) Wilhelmina
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew,

I wouldn't bother too much with the slight discrepancy over her age - it would depend when her date of birth was as to what age she was on each Census (if you follow me!)

Most of the Minnies I've come across were actually Marions although I believe Minnie is a pet name for lots of other names.

Have you tried searching for her birth on Scotland's People (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk)

Anne

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew:

Just to let you know that Minnie is indeed a proper name. My mum is called Minne and my dad's mum was also called Minnie.   I believe in Scotland it could be a nick name for Mary

Cheers
Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Did she marry in Scotland or in England?  If she married in Scotland - both parents names will be on her marriage cert plus her mothers maiden name

If she married in England - just her fathers name will be shown
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 00:22 GMT (UK) »
In the 1891 census Scotland there is a Margaret McGill born 1871 Falkirk who is working as a general domestic servant in Stirling. There appear to be a few McGills some of whom live in Edinburgh, born around the right time to be her siblings....
I see there is a private members tree on Ancestry.com with 3 photos of Minnie macGill born Falkirk 1873 but presumably that's yours!
Scotlanspeople is your best bet...
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 00:23 GMT (UK) »
by the way - is the 1911 census now available??
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline MrBluesman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

First of all thanks for all the replies.

CaroleW - I have been unable to locate a marriage Certificate for Minnie and William in England or Scotland. I know Minnie's eldest child Agnes was born in Ireland so it could be possible that they were married in Ireland but as Agnes wasn't Williams then it may be they never married and just lied about it. So I don't have a fathers name.

apandreson - I have checked scotlands people but at the moment haven't found anything that makes me believe I have the right person.

valr - Margaret McGill would have been a good shout and still could be other than I believe she was in Ireland around this time due to the age of Agnes but of course it depends on when she moved there and when Agnes was born. Go look at 1911census.co.uk it does cost and could get expensive until available on other sites would leave it unless really needed.

Everyone who suggested different names - Thanks I am aware it may be a 'pet name' but it's the name I have on death certificate's and childrens birth certificates.

Regards
Andrew

White, Ashworth, Johnson, Arrowsmith, Seyfang, Mulhearn, Clarke, Carter