Author Topic: Folkestone Cemetery  (Read 16566 times)

Offline Maggie Speak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Folkestone Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hello again Betty,

yes the plot number is 3203 and its in the consecrated grounds to the right hand side of the main cemetery entrance going in. It looks as though the burial plot is in the third row of the second quadrangle. I think I'll be able to find it easily enough without you having to bother with a trip yourself. But thank you for your very kind offer anyway.

Cheers
Maggie :)

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 August 13 19:38 BST (UK) »
You will probably be able to find it OK with that information.
I might still have a look next time I'm there, as a) It's nice to have something to look for while I'm wandering around & b) I'm nosey ;D ;D

Enjoy your visit to England & especially Folkestone :)

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline Maggie Speak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 August 13 02:19 BST (UK) »
Ha ha ha! ;D
If you come across my great grandfathers brother George Henry A Bruce 1857 - 1937 or their half sister Catherine Dennison Dowie (nee Bruce) 1878 - 1966, that would be extraordinary! The Bruce family lived in Earls Ave at what is now Wards Hotel. I will be staying there during my visit and hope to be staying in the very room that my mother was born in. She had such happy memories of growing up there. I have some old photos of the house, so it will be interesting to compare them from the early 1900's and now.
Cheers
Maggie

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 August 13 18:58 BST (UK) »
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 August 13 21:52 BST (UK) »
No Iain, those monumental inscriptions are for the parish church which was closed to further burials in the 1850s when the local borough cemetery opened in Cheriton Road.

Maggie, Cheriton Road Cemetery wasn't really used after the late 1920s when the new cemetery at Hawkinge opened so I would expect they are probably at Hawkinge if they lived and were buried locally unless, of course, there were exisiting family graves with space at Cheriton Road.  The burials department at Shepway District Council should be able to tell you where they were buried.  What a lovely story, I do hope both you and Mogsmum have a wonderful time in Folkestone :)

Have you read about the yarn bombing of poppies all the way down the Road of Remembrance http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=654785.0

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 August 13 05:17 BST (UK) »
Have you read about the yarn bombing of poppies all the way down the Road of Remembrance http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=654785.0

Thanks Casalguidi !    As for the poppies..., absolutely amazing !   Congratulations !
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 August 13 09:49 BST (UK) »
I wasn't involved at all but will be contributing a few this year  ;)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Maggie.  I was at the cemetery today as I needed to look for a grave, so thought I would have a look for the one you are interested in, but I couldn't see it. I couldn't find the one I went to look for either, but not a wasted day as quite by chance I found a grave someone told me about ages ago but had no idea where it was or the year so I didn't bother to look for it. It made my day to spot it.

I don't know if you have already visited, but if you haven't be sure to wear decent shoes/boots, as the ground is very uneven, with sunken/broken gravestones, small holes caused I think by rabbits, & long grass (I got wet feet today ;D )

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline Maggie Speak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 January 14 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Betty,
I'm so sorry for not responding sooner, but I've only just revisited this forum and seen your message. Thank you so much for looking. When I visited the cemetery in early October, I was able to find the grave site of my great grandfather Charles Frederick Bruce and great grandmother Rosa. You're right in saying it's pretty overgrown, but it has a charm.
I was able to follow the map supplied by Shepway Council to their grave exactly. I was thrilled to find it. I didn't however have any luck with the other two family members George Henry Bruce or his half sister Catherine Dennison Bruce. I know George died in 1937 and there was a burial service at St Marys and St Eanes, but there is no record of him being interred there.
My visit to Folkestone was delightful. I was able to stay at the Bruce family home in Earls Ave which is now Wards Hotel. I actually stayed in the very room my mother was born in, in 1922! The Lees and the harbour brought back many childhood memories of when we visited my aunt. The trip alas was too short and I had to return to Australia.
Thanks once again for your efforts. Cheers
Maggie