Author Topic: Clarke, Patrick born about 1890-Sligo-Glenavoo, Kilmacteigue, Holy Rosary Church  (Read 4749 times)

Offline 4faria

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

I am looking for information on my grandfather. He is Patrick Francis Clarke and he was born about 1890 in Sligo. His parents are James Clarke and Margaret Henry, I believe they were married in 1871. I know his brother, Thomas Clarke, was baptized in 1892 at Holy Rosary Church. (I have his ordination records) I have also found records that show their siblings being baptized in the parish of Kilmacteigue and that they lived in Glenavoo. (Maria Clarke 1877, Catherina Clarke 1883, Michael Clarke 1873, James Clarke 1886).  They are all listed in the 1901 census.

I cannot find any record in Sligo of my grandfather's birth or baptism. I know he was in the US by 1916. I specifically need a copy of his birth or baptismal certificate.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Diane

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clarke, Patrick born about 1890-Sligo-Glenavoo, Kilmacteigue, Holy Rosary Church
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 February 14 05:36 GMT (UK) »
This is a possibility if you want to take a gamble in ordering up:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBDC-MM9

Also a sibling John born 1875:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5FB-NHV

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clarke, Patrick born about 1890-Sligo-Glenavoo, Kilmacteigue, Holy Rosary Church
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 February 14 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Thinking on the same lines as Gaffy as to gambling!

1872 Marriage of James Clarke
with a match of Margaret Henry in Tobercurry District

1901 census
1911 Census
Looking at your names listed and the additional John and your Patrick
I searched in familysearch.org for Clarkes in the Sligo District
there are a few of the names but not with matching years;
however there is a civil record in each of the following years that are a match to the family in Tobercurry
(another area in Sligo) which is also where the marriage is recorded

The following names and years match children found in census, familysearch.org and from this topic
1 - 1873 Michael
2 - 1875 John
3 - 1877 Mary
4 - 1881 Margaret
5 - 1883 Catherine/Kate
6 - 1886 James
7 – 1888 Pat *** Best shot in my opinion
8 - 1891 Thomas

*** there are no other Pat/Patrick Clarkes in the district in the 1880s and only two in the 1870s

Editted to add
I have just searched on rootsireland.ie for
Pat Clarke, Sligo, Kilmacteigue RC, 1888, Father James and Mother Margaret and got a hit;
it does not recognise Henry as the mother's surname
but it was not unusual that the mother's surname was not recorded;
this is looking closer to being correct for you.
You can order a photocopy of this certificate from the GRO in Roscommon which is just €4
but is not an authorised copy for legal purposes; this currently costs €20 plus postage if ordered online
If ordering a few certificates the €4 option may be a wise way to go!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hi

Just for elimination purposes, my 2 x gt grandfather Patrick Clarke was from Skreen, Co Sligo. He was born c1818 and died 1915, buried at Skreen. Patrick's wife was Margaret Leighton or Lighton. They did not appear to have any sons named Patrick. Their oldest son, William, one of two brothers who stayed in Skreen, did have a son Patrick born 1875 died 1954, who did not marry.

I think there was a mother Patrick Clarke in the same area who was not related to my family but I don't have details.

Cheers

Linda

Offline 4faria

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 September 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for all the information.  I forgot I had posted here about my grandfather, I apologize for not checking and responding. 

What exactly would I be ordering up from familysearch.org for the marriage?  Is it a microfiche of the certificate or register?  If that's the case, would my local LDS center be able to get a copy of it?  I've been meaning to get over there, but haven't been able to as of yet.

Thanks again,

Diane

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 September 14 12:10 BST (UK) »
Not sure what the LDS will provide but €4 to the GRO in Roscommon will give a photocopy of the original birth details with father and mother's name, address etc.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline 4faria

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 September 14 03:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I'll send away to the GRO and keep my fingers crossed.