Author Topic: Hurley, Portlaw?  (Read 11547 times)

Offline clemmy11

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hurley, Portlaw?
« on: Tuesday 05 July 05 17:05 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on my g-grandmother Nora Hurley's family,she was born about 1895,and had sisters called Mary Ann(May) and Bridget and a brother Micheal. Her mother may have been called kathleen,her father was John and was a joiner,by the time she marries in 1916 in England he is deceased, I don't know when he died,but I know after his death the girls spent some time in a convent before going to England.

joanne

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hurley - Waterford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 17:18 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on my g-grandmother Nora Hurley's family,she was born about 1895,and had sisters called Mary Ann(May) and Bridget and a brother Micheal. Her mother may have been called kathleen,her father was John and was a joiner,by the time she marries in 1916 in England he is deceased, I don't know when he died,but I know after his death the girls spent some time in a convent before going to England.

joanne
could one of these be Noras father

HURLY, John   Birth
   Birth Date:   19 Jun 1874   Birthplace:   Tramore, Wat, Ire
         Recorded in:    Waterford, Ireland
         Collection:   Civil Registration
   Father:   James Hurly
   Mother:   Mary Power

HURLEY, John   Birth
   Birth Date:   11 Aug 1869   Birthplace:   659, Portlaw, Wat, Ire
         Recorded in:    Waterford, Ireland
         Collection:   Civil Registration
   Father:   Michael HURLEY
   Mother:   Bridget FITZGERALD
Source:   FHL Film 101193   Dates:   1869 - 1870

audrey

Offline clemmy11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey, thanks for that,I don't know if either of these are the right man as I know so little about him,but at least I have something to start looking  for now by seeing if I can find out something more about these two men.

thanks again joanne

Offline E. Lambert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 06 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Joanne,
I too am researching Hurley's in Waterford. My 3x GGrandmother, Ellen Hurley, married Michael J. Lambert around 1845. Notes from our family say they came from Waterford but I do not know if this is the county or the city. I have noted similar given names for my Lambert's in the Tramore area. I have one source (1880 US census) that gives Ellens birthdate as around 1822 (58 years old), and another (1900 US census) that gives her birthdate as June 1828. She has a Michael Hurley living with her and her son, John Edward Lambert, in the Charlestown area near Boston, Massachusetts in 1875. Ellen's son, Thomas Francis Lambert married Alice Hurley in 1874 in Chelsea, Massachusetts. Alice's father, James Hurley was born in Ireland, but was living in Charlestown, Massachusetts in 1856 when he married Mary Dineen of Massachusetts. The daughter of another of Ellen's sons, Garrett H. Lambert, would marry Michael Hurley's son in 1905. I have not tied the relationships of all of these Hurley's yet but as you can see, they were very close with my Lamberts. Ellen (Hurley) Lambert immigrated to the the U.S. around 1872, settling in the Boston areas of Charlestown and Cambridge. She is shown in 1874 as a widow so I believe her husband most likely died while in Ireland. Both the Lamberts and the Hurleys were laborers as most continued as masons and plasterers from their entry in the U.S. until their deaths. I realize that does not help you at the present time but have hopes that we may be able to link our Hurleys at a later time.
Warm regards,
Gene
Lambert, Hurley

Offline clemmy11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 06 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gene,thanks for your message,I am absolutely no further forward with the Hurley's,it is so frustrating.I do know that some of Norah's uncles went to America,but I don,t know what they were called or where they settled.if we could find a link that would be great,Joanne

Offline clemmy11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
hurleys, portlaw
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 01:23 BST (UK) »
hello, I'm looking for information on my Hurley family possibly from Portlaw, Waterford. My great grandmother was nora hurley born in 1895, she had two sisters Bridget and Mary Ann. She also had a brother Michael born 1889. In Michael's world war one service records he states he was born in Portlaw. Nora's parents were John and Kathleen(kate). We belive that John and his family had a joinery or building business. John died possibly between1897 to 1901 in a work related accident. The girls were sent to the Convent of the good sheperd in Waterford, and came over to England as they came of age. Kate brought Michael over after John died. We also believe some of the Hurleys went to America. I have had information previously from a member a John Hurley was born in Portlaw 1869.

joanne

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hurley, Portlaw?
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 08:40 BST (UK) »
No need to start a new thread- I've merged your new post with the thread you already had.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline clemmy11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hurley, Portlaw?
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 July 11 23:01 BST (UK) »
I finally have the following information,

Census Years1901WaterfordWaterford Urban No. 3Mayors WalkResidents of a house
Residents of a house 53.2 in Mayors Walk (Waterford Urban No. 3, Waterford)

Hurley John 32 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Waterford Carpenter Read and write - Married -
Hurley Kate 32 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Waterford - Read and write - Married -
Hurley Michael 9 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Waterford Scholar Read - Not Married -
Hurley Bridget 7 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Waterford Scholar Read - Not Married -
Hurley Norah 5 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Waterford Scholar Cannot read - Not Married -
Hurley Maryanne 3 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Waterford Scholar Cannot read - Not Married -

In his ww1 service records Michael states he was born in Portlaw, Waterford which means there is a chance the John Hurley born Portlaw on the previous message could be correct.

Joanne

Offline emrice123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen Hurley Lambert
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 December 11 02:18 GMT (UK) »
I found an ancestry.co.uk hint listing Ellen Hurley, wife of Michael Lambert of Waterford, as having been born in Northern Ireland.  I haven't been able to trace this further; Irish Hurleys come from the South, so if the Hurley is from the North, that would indicate ancestry originating in England, Scotland or elsewhere (one Hurley family in the North at that time actually migrated from ICEland!) 

I too noticed that Hurleys and Lamberts intermarried and thus I suspect that the family tree going into the past will contain some Hurley/Lambert marriages. 

I am particularly interested in the fact that land records show the Lamberts as tenant farmers and Catholics, although this is an old, noble European name linked to many royal houses in France, the lowlands, Germany, etc.  Did they come over from Normandy in 1066?  I realize this takes the family history up to a new level but the www.familylambert.com website indicates that Lambert is a very noble/royal surname and I believe that Catholic Lamberts from Ireland have quite a history hidden inside their tenant cottages....
Email address not working.