Author Topic: Wedding of William Lord and Margaret Meany - Waterford 1858  (Read 13791 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding of William Lord and Margaret Meany - Waterford 1858
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 January 13 21:03 GMT (UK) »
see what you mean about possible 'Wool..' something...

the rest of it looks like '...earder' ?

while I think of it there are just two other townlands (no towns) beginning with Green in Co. Kilkenny - Greenridge and Greenhill. Neither of these are close to Waterford city though.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 January 13 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Shane is the word Wool Carder - I believe this was an occupation in Woolen Mills. :)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 January 13 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Shane is the word Wool Carder - I believe this was an occupation in Wollen Mills. :)

That looks good to me, thanks.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 January 13 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Shane is the word Wool Carder - I believe this was an occupation in Woolen Mills. :)

think you've got it... he's put it as Woolcarder all one word

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 January 13 21:38 GMT (UK) »
number of mills and factories along the river on the OSI map - including a 'Woolen factory' where Edward may have worked a short distance to the north of Greenville townland.

see : Woolen factory, Skeard townland

(EDIT Greenville and Skeard townlands are  adjacent...)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 January 13 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both, that's a great help.

Any idea where I could find out about any school William may have been teaching in? According to an obituary I found recently '... after a brilliant career at school he took up the teaching of languages as a profession and was proficient in French, German, Greek and Latin and took a remakably keen interest in Anglo Saxon.....'

It went on to say that he gave up teaching at the age of 24 and settled in Bristol where he worked first as a foreign correspondent to a firm of jewellers and then as a cashier/accountant for a firm for 47 years until retiring at the age of 82!

As Margaret couldn't sign her name, it seems a strange match, but they were married for 64 years until Margaret died aged 83. William was nearly 90 when he died in 1926. 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 January 13 21:54 GMT (UK) »
number of mills and factories along the river on the OSI map - including a 'Woolen factory' where Edward may have worked a short distance to the north of Greenville townland.

see : Woolen factory, Skeard townland

(EDIT Greenville and Skeard townlands are  adjacent...)

Shane

Thanks Shane, that's brilliant.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 January 13 21:55 GMT (UK) »
On Griffith's valuation there's an Edmond Meany with a house and plot of land in Skeard townland - so beside the Woolen factory. Edmond is a variation of Edward... possibly Margaret's father ?

There's also a National school listed in the same townland - no other details for it. I dont see any school on the maps or on Griffith's in Greenville townland...

(the Griffith's returns for the area are dated 1850)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 January 13 22:03 GMT (UK) »
that school is shown on the later c1890 OSI map - there's is a building at same location on the older map, but it's not labelled.

Ballykeoghan school

The school is in the 'wrong' townland - Ballykeoghan is the other side of the road.

S.
My Surname Interests