Author Topic: Robert Christopher Packe (born approx 1827?  (Read 12819 times)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Christopher Packe (born approx 1827?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 05:55 GMT (UK) »
One more thing..... this book has been finished & published:
Dictionary of Falklands Biography 1592 - 1981
http://www.d-falklands-b.org/

In it's conception stages, RC was listed as one of the subjects - the name of the author who was to biography him is listed on the website. 

Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of the book  :'(   so I don't know if RC's Biography ever did get to print.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 17:03 GMT (UK) »
To help trace his movements: Robert is shown in local Beckenham directories at Usborne, Copers Cope Road, from 1887 to 1892. The house is not shown in the previous available 1885 directory. He must have moved to Upper Norwood shortly before he died, allowing year or so to prepare the directory.

Edit: Now found the 1886 directory, and he's there too.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline calidris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 December 12 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Excellent, thank you very much!

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 06 December 12 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Further to my previous post, 1893 and 1894 Croydon directories, which cover Upper Norwood, show Capt Robert Christopher Packe at Argyle House, 76 Church Road.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 06 December 12 08:07 GMT (UK) »
PROBATE:
Robert Christopher PACKE of Argyle House Church-Road Uppr Norwood Surrey Esquire, died 5 Nov 1893.
Probate issued London on  4 Jan (1894) to the Reverend Horace PACKE  clerk
Effects: GBP5516, 3s, 5d; Resworn: February 1896 GPB8366, 3s, 5d

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline charlesI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 15 February 14 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Dear All

I have really enjoyed reading these posts on the Packes. The fact that some of them went to the Falkland Islands potentially explains a problem I have on my family tree. My Great Gt Grandmother was Maria Packe who married Rev Charles Phelips Buckworth. There daughter Edith Buckworth married my Great Grandfather Charles George Inglis. The Buckworth male line died out in the first world war and my family inherited quite a few things from the Buckworth family. It also meant that there was no one around to say who pictures were off or how the family tree worked.

I believe a brother of Edith Buckworth (possibly called Maurice Buckworth) emigrated to the Falkland Islands which seemed a strange thing to do until I discovered the connection with the Packes who would all have been first cousins. Does anyone know if a Maurice Buckworth went to the Falklands and if he married and had children and did he come back to England? I have attached a picture which might have been of him.

My second problem is I have a silver Christening Mug with the name Everard Buckworth enscribed on the bottom with his name and DOB born 24Th July1859. I don't know anything about Everard Buckworth or whether he was the son of Rev Charles Phelips Buckworth or Theophilus Buckworth of Cockley Cley Norfolk. Did he grow up and did he have children or was it him who went to the Falklands? I attach two pictures

I am going to also put up a post for another Picture which family folklore believes might be of a Chute. Martha Buckworth married William Chute of the Vyne a National trust property in Hampshire. See picture. I would love to know who she is....

Best wishes

Charles

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 15 February 14 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Transcription of Everard's baptism in Sherborne St John , Hampshire https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JSMY-6B8

Presumably "Marles" should read Charles.

Burial in 1862 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J84Q-Z4Z
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 15 February 14 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Russell and Maurice Buckworth were both sheep farmers in the Falklands - see http://tinyurl.com/o9fqe7d
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline African Immigrant

• RootsChat Extra
  • From Syderstone to Africa and Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 11 February 16 15:28 GMT (UK) »
As far as I have been able to discover he was born in 1824 in Hurleston, Northamptonshire to Colonel Henry Packe and his wife Eliza Isham, Colonel Packe bought Twyford Hall in Norfolk in 1830, and I believe he was born in Norfolk.

Robert C Packe died in Upper Norwood in 1893.  He appears in the 1891 census in Beckenham, Kent

Just a bit of useless information;

Twyford Hall was purchased by Colonel Henry Packe from my ancestor Coulsey Savory in 1830 after he was made bankrupt. Twyford Estate (encompassing the hall, 1200acres, 3 cottages and the Falcon Inn) was substantially larger but was broken up in the process of the bankruptcy. He paid £1000. I have seen the transfer documents at the Norwich Archives.