Author Topic: Newbrough Burns  (Read 6457 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Newbrough Burns
« on: Friday 04 April 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
Help please
On my husband's direct line we have Mary Ann Watson her birth certificate says her father was John Watson a skinner and her mother was Ann formerly BURN
Mary Ann was born in the Chester le Street area. Ann died and John remarried. On censuses John is from Lemington Northumberland.
An An..ry tree has a John Watson married to Ann BURN who was born 1809 Newbrough daughter of Thomas and Isabell but no other information other than a spurious 1851 census. I have written to the owner but am not too hopeful she will have anything more.

Can anyone confirm that an Ann Burn was born 1809 in Newbrough to a Thomas and Isabella BURN please and can anyone see a marriage between a John Watson and Ann Burn just before 1841 (I have failed to find one on Free BMD)

I think this is the 1841 census for Mary Ann's parents HO107/ 300/ 1 fo37 p24 showing John and Ann both born out of county(Durham) and a daughter  Isab. which makes the one on the An..ry tree look promising but I can't find any thing on line to back it up
Hope someone can help :)
Trees ???
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newbrough Burns
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 April 14 11:12 BST (UK) »
Update the owner of the An..ry tree has Ann Burn married James Weightman in 1831 Newbrough. and then marrying a John WATSOn she has Wieghtman and Watson children with Ann on censuses so this definitely a different couple .
So its back to the drawing board for me Any ideas where to look will be gratefully received all I know is Mary Ann Watson's parents were John and Ann formerly Burn. they had two daughters Isabella 1840 and Mary Ann 1844 Chester Le Street
1841 both John and Ann were not born in Co. Durham
1851 John was born in Lemington Northumberland
Ann died between 1841 and 1850 and was born between 1806 and 1811(1841 census HO107/ 300/ 1 fo37 p24). I have not found her birth marriage or death but John remarried in Dec 1850
John's father was George ...from his second marriage but I have not found his birth either
Help please its a real headache

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 April 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Trees

I checked out the Northumberland and Durham marriage indexes 1813 - 1837 in case John and Ann were married a little earlier than you thought but they were not mentioned.

I also looked at Newburn parish records for a baptism for John (Lemington was in Newburn parish in those days) but did not see him.  There were a few partially illegible entries where dirt had obviously got into the corners so there is an outside chance that he could be there.  He might also have been baptised in St. John, Newcastle which is the next parish along but I didn’t have time to look there.

Sorry not to have been of help

Christine

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 April 14 23:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for trying at least I can eliminate Newburn now. This line has been a problem for many years but I take it down and give it a dusting every now and then in case something new turns up
They are out there somewhere one day we'll stumble over them :)

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 April 14 01:48 BST (UK) »
Many times over the years I've said elimination is just as important as discovery - but I've never been truly convinced  ;D

If you can think of anywhere else to look just give me a shout - I'm at the archives regularly

Christine

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 April 14 08:32 BST (UK) »
many thanks for that kind offer I'll get the little grey cells working  :)

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 April 14 17:03 BST (UK) »
Latest Up Date
The other John was a skinner in 1841 and living in Chester Bourn both facts match the birth certificate so it looks like the birth and baptism I had are wrong for my Mary Ann a 3 yr old Mary Ann died in 1847 so it looks like she was one of the other family and my Mary Ann remains a mystery

So I am now down to these facts
Mary Ann Watson was born about 1843 possibly in Birtley her parents were John and Ann Watson. she is on the 1851 censuses as daughter with John and Ann.Watson She married at 17 to Thomas LIDDELL who was about 50 years old
she had a child in 1861 and died in 1869 This child was with John and Ann as Grand child in 1871

A further mystery is that on her marriage certificate it says her fater was George WATSON and the marriage is witnessed by John Watson Is the mysterious George a deceased brother of John was Mary Ann adopted by John and Ann? Or did John have the second name George?

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 April 14 12:24 BST (UK) »
Update
I have been chasing Thomas Liddell up
in 1861 and 1881 he says he was from WYLAM Northumberland born some time between 1806 and 1811 (depends which census you look at) I think he died in Chester le Street district in 1833 when his age was given as 76
Family Search has a baptism in Ovingham in 1808 son of Thomas Liddell and Mary Taylor the couple also had a John and Matthew . The Matthew is said to be born Ovingham (Wylam) on a census so it looks like the correct family
Now I am looking for the 1871 census for Thomas I have him in 1861 and 1881.
I next need to find the marriage of Thomas Snr and Mary Taylor from Thomas jnr's marriage his father was Thomas a Blacksmith
Tally ho away I go on the hunt again

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 April 14 01:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Shute Barrington - Bishop of Durham from 1797 - Northumberland and Durham have the most amazing amount of detail in the baptismal and burial records (he was a genealogist!)  Sadly this all ended with the standardisation of records in 1813  :(

The baptismal record for Matthew should also show where his parents originate from and perhaps help on your hunt for their marriage

Christine