Author Topic: Stewart family  (Read 19792 times)

Offline tommytoronto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Stewart family
« on: Wednesday 23 March 05 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone researching the Stewart family - specifically the one that includes Lt Col William Stewart (1769-1854) who was Lt Gov of New South Wales in 1825.They seem to be from Watten and Reay - but I'm not sure before that - I have seen one tree online that links this line to the Kings of Scotland - have been able to prove all but three generations of that tree, loking to try and fill those in with some evidence  :-)

Tom
census information is crown copyright
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm

cumberland - ivison
derby - fearn
durham - moon, bowman, waters
kent - millgate, hatcher, cox, alaby, gibbs, goodbourne, hollams
lancashire - dears, bradborn, matthews, burke
london - mears
northumberland - curry, grey
yorkshire - bergan, ackney, irwin, sclaes, metcalf, crosby
caithness - stewart, waters, gunn, cormack, horne
refrewshire - houston, dow
hamburg germany - dears ( deircs)

Offline StewartClan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Tom - I am a Stewart looking for my Stewart's form Scotland. The only real clue that I can go by is that they came from possibly Argyllshire. Another clue that I have is our family cemetery here in Ontario, Canada is called the Stewart/Kilmartin Cemetery the reason I'm told is that they were form that area of Scotland. I still have no idea where this Kilmartin place is yet. My Great Grampa was Alexander Stewart who married a Christena McLean. Both born in Scotland. He came to Canada in 1850 and She came here in 1847. Any connections possibly?
Lorrie
Stewart from Argyll
McLean - Scotland
Moody, Holmes, Ford(e), Tyres, Turner, Watkins - England

Offline tommytoronto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 March 05 04:49 GMT (UK) »
HI - well- I think our Stewarts are from opposite sides of the highlands :-) Mine are from Caithness at the ne corner of scotland, and i looked up kilmartin - it is in Argyllshire,  however searching the IGI codes for there did not fid a lot of stewart s- though a general search for Argyll on IGI gave me well over 400 - i just tried the first two pages - sadly it is a very common name there ( as are the others I have ended up with to search there....my english names are so less popular!!!

But - who knows - ultimately it coudl be one man that brought the name there   :-) (A busy man I guess...)

Best of Luck

Tom

P.S.- I am in Ontario too- and have used quite a considerable amount of their resources.....Any help needed - just ask.....

cumberland - ivison
derby - fearn
london - mears

Offline rondi8

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 05 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

My family has researched Lt Col Stewarts lineage back to the 1200s, all of which may be of interest to you and I'd be willing to share.  You may contact me on * Unfortunately I have none of this research on computer as it has been handed down to me in hard copy format in book form.  My mother is directly linked to this guy and as we live in Australia have been able to research him well here.  His residence still stands and is heritage listed.
Looking forward to hearing from you
Regards
Rhonda
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline tommytoronto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 20:27 BST (UK) »
Wow - excellent to hear from you - I dropped you an email - I hope you got it OK....

Look forward to finding out more...

Tom

cumberland - ivison
derby - fearn
london - mears

Offline pongo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 04:23 BST (UK) »
Lt Col later Major General William Stewart was my great great grandfather. I have a reasonable family history, let me know what you are looking for. Pongo
I am sorry but my email is not working.

Offline tommytoronto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 04:45 BST (UK) »
just sent you a pvt msg....

Tom

cumberland - ivison
derby - fearn
london - mears

Offline tommytoronto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 05:13 BST (UK) »
Well - my first question would be to verify that he is the gentleman that erected a table stone at Halkirk to his Grandfather Donald, and his uncle Neil.  In the same row of monuments 3 away is who I believe is his sister Johanna, with the monument erected by their sister Madalina.  Next to her - 2 away from the table stone is John Stewart, who I believe is his brother (and herein lies my confusion).  The table stone is erected by Lt Col Stewart of the 3rd regiment of Buffs, which I have found through searching to very probably be him.

My gr gr gr gr gr gr grandmother Elizabeth Stewart is I believe his sister.  Elizabeth, Johanna, and Madalina  were the daughters of William Stewart and Elizabeth Horne (and there were at least 5 other siblings - not including William and John).  I have had a hard time finding the exact record for William himself, but a cousin and fellow researcher has an obituary of Elizabeth's daughter Elizabeth Waters nee Gunn in which she is referred to as niece to Lt Col Stewart.  I have also emailed the Caithness archives, and they said they were pretty sure they had found the connection of William to the other siblings, but being unemployed right now couldn't really afford for them to do the research.  However - John's death certificate shows him as the son of Donald Stewart and Elizabeth Horne. 

There is a tree for Lt Col Stewarts family tree on Ancestry.com.  It lists his parents as William Stewart and Ann Gunn, and his grandparents as Donald Stewart and Elizabeth Horne.  It also lists Donald Stewart as being born in 1700, and dying in April 1793.  The April 1793 matches the transcription I found, but it says there he is 78 - thus born in 1715/6.  It also lists John Stewart as their child, and uncle to Lt Col Stewart.  From there three generations back I can find nothing online, so can't try to figure it out that way.    I'm pretty sure the parents are wrong - and desperately looking for evidence for the paternal stewart line to link it to where I have found it online.  My grandfather - descended from Elizabeth Stewart - in 82, and would love to be able to show him a family tree going back that far before he passes.

Tom

cumberland - ivison
derby - fearn
london - mears

Offline pongo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 22:00 BST (UK) »
Here is a bit of info about William, I will have to dig through some papers for his parents and siblings and will get back to you.
Cheers Pongo

The first member of the family to set foot in Australia was:

William Stewart (1769-1854)

Born at Dounreay, in Caithness, Scotland, William joined the army in 1796 and became Colonel of the Third Regiment of Foot. From 1825 to 1827, he served as Lieutenant-Governor of New South Wales. In 1827, he was given a grant of land at Mount Pleasant, near Bathurst. The same year he went to India with his regiment and was appointed Major-General. He returned to Mount Pleasant in 1832 where he remained until his death in 1854.

While in Canada in 1814 he married Ann Sylvia Wolfe by whom he had the following children:

Caroline Madelaine - Born Montreal, Canada, in 1815. She married, firstly, Captain Donald Stewart, a cousin, and after he was killed in action in 1844, she came back to Mount Pleasant and married Charles Henry Green, at one time Commissioner for the Western Gold Fields. In 1855, she and her husband went to Queensland where they settled on the Darling Downs. She had no children and the date of her death is not known.

Elizabeth - Born in Saint Pol, France, in 1817 where her father was stationed after Waterloo as part of the Allied Army of Occupation. She married the Reverend Mr K.D. Smythe, Presbyterian minister at Bathurst. She and her husband went to Scotland in 1863 where she died in 1908.

Ann - a twin of Elizabeth who died at the age of 18 months.

Letitia - Born in Edinburgh in 1820. She married a Mr David Kennedy, manager of a bank at Bathurst. They had three sons and Letitia died in 1894.

William - Born in 1822, he died at Strath of Bylster, near Wick, Caithness, in 1829.

James Horne - Born in Edinburgh in 1825. He was named after his father's uncle, James Horne of Stirkoke, Caithness. He came to Australia in 1834 with his mother and the other children when they rejoined William at Mount Pleasant. James was educated at the Australian College in Sydney and in 1855 married Harriet Eliza Boyce (1839-1923), the daughter of the Reverend Mr William Boyce of Sydney. Harriet and James had five children.

I am sorry but my email is not working.