Author Topic: information on christie family of 15-17  (Read 20569 times)

Offline KenChri

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: information on christie family of 15-17
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 April 09 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am the grandson of William Christie and Margaret Gibson who came to Scotland in the first decade of the 20th century from County Tyrone in Ireland and can give you more information if you are still looking for this. As I interpret your enquiry you must be my cousin twice removed.
I am the son of Robert Christie - Harry's youngest brother.

Ken Christie
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.

Offline jollyrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 20:56 BST (UK) »
hello
we have many stories about robert christie i wonder if any are true.
we have it that he was the elder brother of harry (obviously untrue). he was a jp and a councillor and an mp and that it was through his influence that harrys family were able to aquire a bigger house in a nicer part of town.
we also believe that he wrote a book about the crossing of william and margaret. the story holds that they were on the way to america when they had to make shore in paisley and that the family couldnt afford to wait for the boat to be fixed so had to move more inland to earn money. is any of this true?
we have siblings 
Robert 1900, Henry 1902 ( harry), susan 1908-1909, Mary 1912-1914, Mary 1915-1916, William 1924-1924.
siblings after henry are from the burial records and we assume that there were more surviving siblings, if you know any names that would be great.
we have no information on william and margaret other than what we have gathered from burial records and i did find a possible marriage between the 2 in county tyrone.
Married on 5th july 1900 in fivemiletown county tyrone NI clogher parish church of ireland

can you fill in any gaps??

rob

Offline Deborah Paris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 May 09 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob, guess what! We are related. My name is Deborah Paris and my mother is Catherine Christie, daughter of Elizabeth Jamieson and Henry Christie. My mother is one of 16 children, and her siblings include Susan, Phyllis, Pearl, Brenda, George, James, Harry, Robert, to name a few. My mother grew up in Bridgend Lintlithgow West Lothian. I have been doing research myself and have managed to get copies of birth certificates. I met my grandmother Elizabeth when I was young, and have a photo of her, they lived a quiet life in a small Village. Henry was a shale miner and lorry driver, and came from County Tyrone in Ireland. Unfortunately my mother passed away in 1986. I have 2 sisters Patricia Elizabeth Jamieson Paris and Cathrine Paris. My uncle, George Christie, still lives in Linlithgow and his son George and daughter Karen also. We have another uncle that lives in Weymouth England, Jim Christie. Our uncle George Christie would have all the history you are looking for. Are you planning to visit Scotland? I was thinking of visiting to look at all the family homes and burials and visit some relatives.  would be interesting in connecting regarding a trip to do family research if you are interested. I live in Canada. Deborah
Paris, Christie, Stewart, Jamieson

Offline Deborah Paris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 02 May 09 06:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken, we are related! My mother is Catherine Paris nee Christie and was very close to your father Robert Christie. I have 2 sisters Elizabeth Patricia Jamieson Paris (deceased) and Cathrine Paris. My mother married Gideon Paris from a  long line of Gideon Paris. in 1991 I visited Scotland to visit my Uncle George Christie who lives in Linlithgow. Any info you can provide on our family tree would be excellent. It would be great to arrange a family reunion also.
I live in Oakville, Canada. My parents emigrated to Montreal Canada in 1963.

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 May 09 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry to butt in on this thread - I have one of my lot (Flora Jane Stewart) married to a Gideon Paris (son of Robert Paris & Euphemia Johnstone)in 1902.  Gideon & Flora farmed at Birniehill, Bathgate - just over the hill from Linlithgow & Bridgend.  Flora died in 1931 - Gideon re-married to Eleanor Caskey.  He died in Leith in 1948.  Any connection?

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline Deborah Paris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 02 May 09 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there, yes, Gideon Paris, my father named after his father, Gideon Paris, had a farm in Birnie hill, a dairy farm I believe. My middle name is Eleanor, am named after Eleanor Balfour Caskey. My grandmother Flora Jane Stewart died in her 40s and I believe I have a copy of family death certificates which show death from heart failure and Gideon from thrombosis. I visited my Auntie Effie (named after Euphemia and her married name is Ramage) back in 1991; she lived on Easter Road in Edinburgh, passed away a number of years ago, she had a son Stewart who predeceased her, and he had a twin sister, and another son that lives in England. From what I have been told Eleanor Caskey's father was a Minister of the Church of Scotland. Also, we are related through marriage to the Johnstons, they created the product called "Bovril" which was invented for soldiers in WW2. There is a family tree posted on a website, not sure who created it, but it shows Flora Stewart's family. Here is the link. Are we related?

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/h/o/f/Jeanette-Hoffie-/PDFGENEO3.pdf

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 May 09 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Deborah

Yes we are related - albiet somewhat distantly - Flora Jane Stewart's Mother - Margaret Alexander Bn 1855 was my Great Grandfather's sister.  Flora died of Heart Failure in 1931 and Gideon died of Thrombosis in 1948.  I have quite a bit of information and some photos from way back on the family and happy to share.

I'll PM you with contact details.

Regards

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline KenChri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 May 09 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Deborah, yes I remember George talking about his sister in Canada quite a lot. I was only 6 when your mother left so I cant remember how she looked. I'm in contact with George regularly and would be happy to receive private email from you  to  research and catch up.
I'm also chatting with Rob on this subject.

Ken
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.

Offline alba99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 May 09 11:18 BST (UK) »
Slightly off target:

Ken was your father the 'Jannie' at Linlithgow Academy ?

Les
Bathgates - Scotland