Author Topic: Help find the McKenzie family, please.  (Read 4610 times)

Offline mhomac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help find the McKenzie family, please.
« on: Thursday 16 February 12 16:14 GMT (UK) »

Hi, wondering if I could ask for some help, please.

On 1911 UK Census I have Murdo McKenzie, wife Jean/Jeanie and sons Norman age 4 and Joseph age 8 months living in Glasgow. Murdo was born abt 1882 in Barvas, Rosshire, Jean in Strathaven, Lanarkshire in 1881 and the boys in Glasgow.

The parents of Murdo Mckenzie were Norman McKenzie and Christina McFarlane. Jeans parents were Joseph McNay and Margaret Stobo Lindsay.

The children of Murdo and Jean McKenzie were Norman McKenzie born 27 June 1907 and Joseph McNay McKenzie born 16 August 1910 both in Glasgow.

Is it possible that this family came to USA? I would love to complete that section of the family tree.
I have had a search on the Canada section of this forum as I thought I had found the family going there. However it turned out to be the wrong people!
Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from someone.
Kind regards
Morag

Fraser, McNay, Maxwell, McKnight, Gray, Greenshields

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help find the McKenzie family, please.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 12 00:44 GMT (UK) »
I don't see them on the US records at ancestry.com, if that is any help.

Offline mhomac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 February 12 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I wonder if I'll ever find this family. They seem to have disappeared.
I will just have to keep searching anywhere I can.
Thanks again.
Morag

Offline Lindasinclair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 December 13 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I think I can help you.

I am descended from a brother of Christina MacFarlane and have a great deal of information about this family. Christy (Christiana) was born in 1854 and died in 1938. She married Norman Mackenzie of 7 Cross, Ness, Isle of Lewis (in the parish of Barvas). They had ad least 3 children - Murdo born 1885 who emigrated, but I know no more, perhaps you can tell me more; Christina (1888-1971); and Mary (1886-1902). Chirsty and Norman married in 1883. Chirsty was from a big family. Her parents were John MacFarlane b1811, South Dell, Ness, Isle of Lewis died at 11 Cross, 1901 and Marion MacDonald (her nickname was Mor Og) b 1813 in Cross and died 1903 at 11 Cross. Their children were:

John b1835 dii
Allan 1836-1921 m Mary Gunn (from whom I am descended) - lived 20 Cross
John b1838 dii
Catherine 1841- 1921 m Norman Macleod - lived 12 Swainbost
Finlay 1845-1922 m Margaret Macintyre - lived Glasgow
Christina dii
Angus 1948-1928 m Mary Macleod, emigrated to Australia but came back and died in Cross
Murdo 1849-1924 m Elizabeth MacPherson - lived 24 Cross
Norman 1852-1933 m Ann Graham - lived 17 Cross
Christy 1854-1938 m Norman Mackenzie
Margaret 1957-1894 not married
Donald 1860-1938 m 1. Agnes Campbell 2. Marion Lamont - lived Glasgow

I have more details on the families of the above and some photos of them.

John MacFarlane (Christy's father) was the son of Donald MacFarlane (1776 -died between 1851/4) and Catherine Morrison (1776- died between 1841 and 1851). I don't have any more definitive detail on Donald MacFarlane but have made a connection which I cannot verify. I will copy you into another post I am going to reply to on the MacFarlanes which will say some more. Catherine Morrison was the daughter of Allan Morrison and Catherine Morrison of South Dell. Allan was the son of Donald, who was in turn the son of Allan, taking this line back to approx 1640s.

Marion MacDonald (Christy's mother) was the daughter of John MacDonald of Swainbost, Ness and Christian Campbell (1781 - died between 1841 and 1851) of Cross. It may be that John is the son of Angus "Og" MacDonald of Swainbost, given Og was the family "nickname". I have more details of Marion's siblings if you would like.

There is a story of Marion passed down the family that states she walked to Stornoway and back (about 50-60 miles round trip) and bought a plate in Stornoway, which when she had got home, carrying all this way had broken!

Now to Norman MacKenzie, Christy's husband. He was the son of Murdo Mackenzie of Cross and Ann Campbell of Europie, Ness. They married in 1849. Murdo was born abt 1820 and died in 1877 in Cross. He was the son of Norman Mackenzie and Ann Mackenzie ( her maiden name). I am also descended from this Norman and Ann, from Murdo's brother Norman (1823-1885).

Norman Mackenzie (1795-1845) was from 25 Cross and his father was John. He married Ann Mackenzie in 1816. Ann Mackenzie was born in North Dell, Ness in 1795 and died in 1868. Her parents were Allan Mackenzie and Mary MacDonald of North Dell.

Hope this helps you

Linda

Offline mhomac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Linda for all this fascinating information. I have printed it off and will take time to read and digest it all. Will get back to you soon.
I'm thrilled to get this contact. Thanks so much. :-*  Happy New Year.
Morag

Offline Lindasinclair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Morag

Also meant to say I have a photo of Christy MacFarlane in later life with her brothers. If you pm me your email, I will send direct.

You might also find if helpful to contact the Ness Historical Society. They hold croft histories with family details and may be able to tell you more about Norman Mackenzie. Their website is http://www.cenonline.org/

Happy New Year!

Linda

Offline Lap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John MacFarlane and Marion MacDonald
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 January 14 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lindasinclair
I happened to stumble across this site and was amazed to find you decended from the same John MacFarlane and Marion MacDonald as me.
Where I fit in:-
     Angus MacFarlane 1848 -1928 who married Mary MacLeod and went to Australia to live and died in Cross, Isle of Lewis.
     I'm Australian and if you would like more info on the Australian side, am able to help.

Also you mentioned you have details on the families and some photos of them as well. This is the first time I've been on a site like this. Is it OK to ask for details and how do you go about it.

I have a Death notice for Marion MacFarlane who died 20 Jan 1903 - 91yrs (Angus's mother) and the father is Donald MacDonald, crofter and mother Mary McDonald nee M C McKenzie.

Loved the story about Marion and the broken plate.

Lap

Offline Lindasinclair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 January 14 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have sent you a personal message with my details. Great to hear more from you!

Linda

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 January 14 15:48 GMT (UK) »
As new members must make at least three postings before being allowed to fully use the PM facility, Lap may need to post 2 more times.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php