Author Topic: Peter Roy  (Read 6635 times)

Offline langwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Roy
« on: Saturday 15 June 13 16:35 BST (UK) »
Anyone out there with a Peter Roy in their family tree?
He was born in Dufftown sometime after 1870 at a guess.
Any information appreciated.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Roy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 June 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
Have you any further information ? Parents, siblings etc.,

Thanks
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline langwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 June 13 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
Only information I have is his name on a document, dated 1894, and his occupation given as Gamekeeper.

Langwell.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 June 13 17:58 BST (UK) »
Dufftown is actually in Banffshire. There is a Peter Roy born 1869 in Mortlach, Banffshire in the 1871, 1881 and 1891 census. Could not find him in 1901. He is with his paremts in 1871 and 1881 but in 1891 is recorded as a farm servant. I also found a public tree which names his parents as George Roy and Rachel McKie. ( Mortlach is the parish in Banffshire which includes Dufftown).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline langwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 June 13 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks William.
Doesn't say a lot for my Geography!!!  Should not have depended on my Google Search.
Langwell

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 June 13 18:44 BST (UK) »
No problem. From the genealogy point of view it is really the pre 1974 county boundaries which are best. I suspect google would not factor that in!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 June 13 08:38 BST (UK) »
Doesn't say a lot for my Geography!!!  Should not have depended on my Google Search.

No. Nothing to do with your geography.

What happened was that in 1975, all the local authority boundaries were reorganised. About two-thirds of Banffshire became part of a new district which also contained most of Morayshire and retained the name Moray.

Naturally, modern maps show the new revised boundaries, not the historic ones, and for historical research you need to know not only where the old county boundaries were, but you must also know which parish(es) you are interested in, because historical records are generally arranged by parish.

Fortunately there is a resource which is exactly what you need
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/
which includes county maps, descriptions of parishes, and tells you which place(s) is/are in which parish.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline langwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 July 13 20:24 BST (UK) »
Have now discovered that he married Margaret Gordon, Kilnhillock, Glenrinnes, at Glenrinnes, on 19th July1905.
Have failed to find their deaths and wonder if they might have emigrated.
Anyone with any knowledge of the Gordon family?
Langwell

Offline dlgordon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 September 13 18:05 BST (UK) »
Margaret Gordon was the sister of my great grandfather, George Gordon. She was born August 8, 1874 at Kilnhillock. Kilnhillock is in Glenrinness, between Dufftown and Tomintoul, Moray, Scotland.

Margaret's parents were William Gordon and Elspet Gordon. William, son of James Gordon and Ann Wilson, was born November 19, 1839 in Glass and died May 22, 1917 at Kilnhillock. Elspet, daughter of William Gordon and Margaret Robertson, was born February 6, 1834 at Kilnhillock and died October 18, 1898 at Kilnhillock. They are both buried at Downan Cemetery.

Margaret married Peter Roy July 19, 1905. I have Margaret's death listed as Feb 5, 1943 in Fordyce and Peter's as March 4, 1948. Peter's parents were George Roy and Rachel Mackie.

Margaret had one daughter, Elsie Ann Mackie Gordon, born 21 Aug 1893 at Kilnhillock. I don't know if she is Peter's daughter. Elsie married James Alexander Gordon McHattie, April 17, 1913. They had five children, William, Elsie, James, George and Isabella.