Author Topic: Where is Toberay?  (Read 6051 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Toberay?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, I love cold weather, and it would make a nice change for me. :)

I see you live in Australia. Cold weather is great when it's clear and sunny. Being trapped in the house by snowdrifts, gales and floods (though I doubt that Toberaie would be much troubled by flooding, as it's well up a hillside) for days or weeks on end is no fun, believe me. I've been there, and the novelty soon wears off. And the occupants of Toberaie in the 18th and 19th centuries would have had no electricity at the touch of a switch. They'd have had to rely on firewood for heating and candles, probably tallow ones, for lighting. Compared to our modern living standards it would have been cold and bleak and pretty lacking in comfort.

Of course I understand what you're saying  - I was half joking ....(but half serious.  ;) )
 :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
 :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline larkspur3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 23:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you, all! Since Toberay was undoubtedly a phonetic spelling, I knew there must be a Gaelic spelling. Glad to have it, finally, so I know where it is.

Laura

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 October 14 08:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you, all! Since Toberay was undoubtedly a phonetic spelling, I knew there must be a Gaelic spelling.

Toberaie is also anglicised or phonetic. That series of letters could not occur in Gaelic.

According to Matheson's Place Names of Elginshire it occurs in a document of 1670 as 'Tobar-fhaidh'. 'Tobar' is Gaelic for a well or a spring, and 'faidh' (pronounced roughly 'fie' to rhyme with 'eye') is a seer or prophet. The form 'fhaidh' is the genitive, meaning 'of the seer', and the letter h represents aspiration, which has the effect of making the 'f' silent. So the Gaelic 'Tobar Fhaidh', pronounced roughly 'towbar-eye' means 'Well of the Seer' or 'Prophet's Spring'.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 October 14 18:06 BST (UK) »
Wow there is another Larkspur on here  8)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley