Author Topic: Rawsons Boot and shoe company in leicester in the 1950's  (Read 5572 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Rawsons Boot and shoe company in leicester in the 1950's
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 August 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
thanks for those links.. Really well worth a visit.

xin

Offline Hilary F

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 September 14 15:53 BST (UK) »
The records office are very helpful, and have a Shoe and Leather News Biographical directory dating from WW1, filled full of info on shoe companies at the time.  I know it's not 1950s, but if Rawsons were set up much earlier there is a good chance they will be in this. 
I've been told by a footwear history expert that there were about 140 shoe factories in Leicester in the 1950s.  A lot of them, if older family companies, are hard to find out much about.  I know because I'm on a quest to find out more about wholesale manufacturer TG Hunt of Leicester - they are very elusive!
There was a Leicester branch of the British Boot and Shoe Association in the 1950s, they are now part of the Textile Institute. 
Hope this helps.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 September 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you, 

Yes helps a great deal - really appreciate it.
  :)
xin