Author Topic: walker family eastwood hall  (Read 20997 times)

Offline DKing

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
walker family eastwood hall
« on: Wednesday 24 August 05 20:31 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find any pictures of the Walker family of Eatwood hall, Eastwood Notts, they were partners in the Barber walker mines around the area, late 18thc early 19thc the lived in Bilborough, I would like any pics of Thomas 1850s-1871, Geaorge before then, or any pics if possible of Eastwood Hall interior, (old pics),

thanks
Dave k

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: walker family eastwood hall
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 August 05 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Try the following link.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/

Also if you Google Eastwood Hall it  is now a conference centre and wedding venue. The website gives a vitual tour inside.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 September 05 12:41 BST (UK) »
I worked at Eastwood hall in 1960's when it belonged to NCB-will send you a PM
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 October 05 12:37 BST (UK) »
Message from you was just my message returned!!!I have old pictures of Eastwood Hall-and some  History- Eastwood Hall was acquired by the Walker family from the Plumptres, with George Walker listed as "Llord of the Manor" and living at Eastwood Hall in 1832 Trade director. His daughter Mabel Zoe inherited the estates when she was left an orphan at two years old. After her marriage in early 1900s she spent little time at the Hall and it was aquired by Barber Walker company in 1916 when they made it their head office,then it became offices for NCB No 5 Area, then British Coal and is now Hayley Conference centre. During WW1 it was used for a time as a convalescent home for Belgian Officers-during WW2 the stables(no longer used for horses) were used for storing dried food. I have a few pics-one old one when the lake was still in existence. Try to PM me for more info
Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DKing

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 March 06 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I never knew it was used during the war as it was, I have the pic with the lake but any others would be appreciated, I have all the other info but thanks for the info about the war.

Dave King

Offline cdrmain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 April 12 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hello - I realiseI am responding to a very old post - but are you an expert on the Walkers? I'm doing some research on Rhinefield in the New Forest, which is the house Mabel Zoe Walker built with the family money after marrying Edward Lionel Munro in 1887, when she was 21. I assume this is when she gained control of the estate from the trustees. I'm trying to solve the riddle of her parents' death though. Thomas Walker died in 1871, aged 25 though I'm not sure of what (I can order his death cert I guess). He had married a girl called Eleanor Glew Bourne in London in Q4 1865 when he was 19 and she was only 14. Mabel was born on July 30th 1866. The 1871 census (taken in late April) shows Thomas and Eleanor still living at Eastwood Hall - though Thomas then died on 11th May. By then, Mabel had already been shipped off to Thomas's Aunt Frances in Bushey Park (Teddington, Middlesex). The census records Eleanor as having been born in Notts in 1851 - though there is no record of an Eleanor Bourne's birth in Notts between 1850 and 1852. There is an Eleanor Glew in Radford in 1851, and another unnamed female Glew in Basford (registration district for Eastwood) also in 1851. This is perhaps the most likely entry, though I do not know how or why she acquired the maiden name 'Bourne' in that case. It is a mystery, because after the 1871 census Eleanor disappears. I cannot find any record of her death but, as I have found several references to Mabel being an orphan, presumably she did. Do you by any chance know what happened to her?

Kind regards

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 April 12 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hello.... :)

Welcome to Rootschat.

It is an old post but hopefully one of the original posters will see this.

But while you are waiting here is a start with some clues.....

Baptism at NOTTINGHAM St Mary
ELEANOR GLEW - 4th June 1851 - mother Sarah Ann Glew, abode Park Row, occupation Cap Maker.

Marriage at Radford St Peter - 19th January 1854
RICHARD CARMICHAEL BOURNE & SARAH ANNE GLEW

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 April 12 18:45 BST (UK) »
1861 - RG09 piece 2453 folio 91 page 2 - Shakespeare St, Nottingham

Richard Carmichael Bourne, Head. aged 37 - Surgeon Licentiate Of R C Surgeons - born Dublin
Sarah Ann Bourne, wife, aged 28, Surgeons wife - born Nottingham
Elenor Bourne, dau, age 10 - born Nottingham

plus medical student; apprentice and servant

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 April 12 19:02 BST (UK) »
Just for confirmation....

Baptism at Eastwood, St Mary - 2nd September 1866
MABEL ZOE, dau of Thomas & Eleonore - abode Eastwood, profession Esquire.

Burial at Eastwood St Mary - 18th May 1871
Thomas Walker, abode Eastwood, aged 25

I can't see anything for Eleanor at the minute....