Author Topic: Margaret Linklater 1834 - 1912  (Read 7214 times)

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Linklater 1834 - 1912
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 June 14 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Andrew and Jean married on 30/12/1830

On the 1841 census his new wife Margaret ( nee Philips ?think they married 27/3/1836, Scotlands People )  is at Langskaill with John, Margaret and May.

In 1851 at Fusparside there is Andrew, Margaret, Margaret 16 and May 13

In 1861,1871 and 1881 he is at Springrose with wife no 3: Ann 46 ( their marriage cert is on Scotlands People.) you should be able to get Anns maiden name from it.

Barony would have been a small area of Birsay on the shores of Boardhouse Loch, if you google " The Barony Hotel " you,ll find info on the area, there,s also a lovely mill there that has been renovated and still grinds beremeal etc. www.birsay.org.uk

Do you have Andrews death cert? it should give you his parents names

Probably a good idea to join The Orkney Family History Society if you plan to a lot of research into Orkney families, it has a lot of info and its not expensive, you can join online
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 June 14 07:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you akc . . . I will definitely join the Orkney FHS as I think I will be searching for many relatives. It amazes me that Margaret Linklater left Scotland at the age of 29 to join her brother in Australia. Thank heavens she did otherwise I wouldn't be here searching for information regarding the family.

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 June 14 08:30 BST (UK) »
I've now had a big search on Margaret's parents and obtained Andrew's death certificate which gave me his parents names. I'll now start searching for William and Jane(t) Linklater nee Coghill. The surname of 2nd and 3rd wives was Phillips. Ann (no 3) was a spinster when married so I wonder if the two girls might have been sisters. Thanks for all your help.
Jilly