Author Topic: Qld Immigration 1888  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Qld Immigration 1888
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 00:02 GMT (UK) »
I think you might be talking about the index cards which were compiled by NSW State Records from the original manifests.  These cards are modern transcriptions and as such do contain mistakes as the handwriting on the originals is sometimes difficult to read.  Many records are also in poor condition.

NSW assisted immigrants are the only ones for whom that level of information is available and not all records have survived.

You didn't have to be baptised - they used this information as an early form of identity as there were standards that had to be met to qualify for immigration assistance and the age of a person was one of those.  There were no birth certificates for English people born prior to 1837.  You will also find character references included in some records.

Debra  :D

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 00:12 GMT (UK) »
These are the ones I mean Neil. Bundle of info.

Cheers
Freckle
Robertson, Coulon, Philipofski, Jewell, Minchinton, Bain, Innes, Sinclair, McBe/a/th, McDougall, Fletcher, Fowler, Chance, Fitzsimmons, Brooks, Agnew, Turner, Melvin, Hyland, Potterton, Pullen, Cotterell, McKellar, Braund, Harvey, Davey, Kennedy, Foulks, Prouse.
Home page http://myrobertsons.tribalpages.com

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 00:23 GMT (UK) »

As far as I know what you can see on the shipping record is it, Charles, Angelina and Hetty were assisted passengers originating in Devon.

Might have to work backwards knowing that her father was likely William Goodenough.

Gerry

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes Gerry, thats what I'm trying to do. Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Freckle :)
Robertson, Coulon, Philipofski, Jewell, Minchinton, Bain, Innes, Sinclair, McBe/a/th, McDougall, Fletcher, Fowler, Chance, Fitzsimmons, Brooks, Agnew, Turner, Melvin, Hyland, Potterton, Pullen, Cotterell, McKellar, Braund, Harvey, Davey, Kennedy, Foulks, Prouse.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 03:54 GMT (UK) »
I've never seen anything as detailed as that for an 1888 immigration. What date is that document from? I can't remember (1910ish perhaps? :-\) but I have seen later immigrations which provide more information, possibly along the lines of what your document shows.[it was years ago and I was doing a lookup for someone  ;)]

The cards in the drawers at the State Archives just contain names and reference numbers of where to find the details of the person on the films. The information on the films is very limited - maybe name, religion, where they were from (in the UK generally), occupation,  sometimes other small snippets like sponsors.

Unsure if all of the information from cards and books is now online, but I believe they were working their way through it all.

Offline Freckle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,
 Ancestry has some of them. Thats where I got that one. Some have parents, whether living and where.Thats what I was hoping to  find for my Pipers. They arrived here in 1888. That one for Yuille was from 1840.

Cheers
Freckle :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 05:23 GMT (UK) »
That is an early immigration entitlement certificate and you won't find these for passengers who came into Queensland.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/nrs-lists/nrs-5314-entitlement-certificates-of-persons-on 

I see what you mean about not being able to find Angelina, but really the next step is to get her marriage cert to find her father's name and occupation - witness names can also give clues.  A birth cert for one of the Australian born children should give her place of birth.

She could have come from anywhere really to be marrying in Devon.  I have a number of female domestics around that time who moved between Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland for work.

Debra  :D

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

So we have
From the immigration record that Angelina was born about 1864 and came from in Devon and therefore she was possibly born there as well.

Her Qld death redistration has William as her father.

Her marriage as Angelina Goodenough in the December Quarter of 1885 has the registration district as Bideford in Devon.

The surname is not common but Angelina is proving difficult to find apart from the marriage.  Maybe she wasn't baptised as Angelina but just used the name ( just a guess), the surname is one that could easily be transcribed to a Census Index wrong or even entered on the Census form as incorrect.

Back for a fresh look.

Gerry 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 08:48 GMT (UK) »
That is an early immigration entitlement certificate and you won't find these for passengers who came into Queensland.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/nrs-lists/nrs-5314-entitlement-certificates-of-persons-on 

Thanks for clarifying that Debra. My lot came out around that time (to Qld) and I've never seen such a thing for them. I thought I was missing out.  :)