Author Topic: 1841, 1851 Census look up in Roxburghshire please  (Read 3176 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
1841, 1851 Census look up in Roxburghshire please
« on: Friday 19 August 05 06:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I am at the end of any further research until I can solve this problem and I cannot seem to get anywhere with it so I am hoping someone out there may be able to help  :'(

I am looking for PETER BURNS b 1815- 1818 in Ireland. He came over to Scotland and in 1861 census he is living in Kelso Roxburghshire with his wife AGNES (nee NIELSON) b 1814 Kelso and their son HUGH BURNS b 1855 Kelso. They also have the son of Agnes from, presumably, her first marriage. His name is WILLIAM WALLACE b 1846 Eckford, Roxburghshire

I have found them in the 1871 Census in Haddington but cannot tell if Agnes has an M or a W next to her name. By 1881 the family had moved to Northumberland and Agnes states she is a widow so I presume Peter died between 1861 and 1875 (when Hugh married) though I cannot find any death certificate for him. I have searched the Scottish people site for his death but cannot find it at all.

Would some kind person out there be able to check any of the earlier census's to see if he is around and whether it gives a place of birth. I have tried the Latter Day Saints site and found only only one Peter Burns born in 1817 in Shankhill, County Antrim but do not want to put them down as definite just yet :-

I have even been asked if Peter could have changed his name from maybe Patrick to sound less Irish so maybe in 1851 he would be around in the name of Patrick Burns  ???. Maybe Agnes was with her first "husband" John Wallace and any info on him would be helpful as well if possible

I would be very grateful if anyone can help and will happily try and help them in return

Thanks for reading

Carol Burns
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
Re: 1841, 1851 Census look up in Roxburghshire please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Don't get too excited I've not  found anything though I have looked.

This link, takes you to a free census site and although I can't find anything this site is regularly getting updated, so keep going back

The Agnes Burns caught my eye as I have an Agnes Burns but a different one, mine came from Pringle

I hope you find what your looking for, I have looked on the IGI as well your may wn to try that

Good look

Andrew

http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Re: 1841, 1851 Census look up in Roxburghshire please
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 13:36 BST (UK) »
HI Andrew
Thanks for the helpful URL. I will look at that and see what I can find

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>