Author Topic: George Hough-Stuck before 1800.  (Read 2850 times)

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Hough-Stuck before 1800.
« on: Monday 02 June 14 14:22 BST (UK) »
I could do with a bit of advice please. My four times removed grandfather was George Hough born between 1790 and 1800 in Carden, Cheshire(baptised in Tilston, Cheshire)  who then married in 1820 a Sarah Povah at Moreton Say. On the Parish Marriage record it shows a witness as Richard Hough who I have identified(baptised 1794 in Malpas and son of Henry and Ann of Tilston) and living in Cotton, Shropshire in 1841 and still living around that area in 1851.
George moves to Ash, Shropshire and remains there until his death in 1858 and is survived by his wife Sarah, son John(Born 1821? Moreton Say) and daughter Ann(1829-Born Moreton Say).
I have identified George and Richards potential father as Henry Hough who is from Broxton and married in Malpas in 1781 and marries an Anne Windsor from Bunbury(witnesses are John and Mary Windsor) but the problem is that Anne Windsor is born in 1841 and potentially is just too old to be the mother of Richard and George.

I know this is a long shot but is there another Anne Windsor that I have not seen or am I missing something and got the wrong parents to the wrong children.
Any help would be gratefully received.
Thank you.

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: George Hough-Stuck before 1800.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 11:57 BST (UK) »
According to Familyseach Henry Hough m Ann Windsor 15 SEP 1781, he being 21 and she 25, which would make her birth about 1756. It also notes that she is a spinster at this time.

George was baptised 26 AUG 1792 Tilston, but there are other baptisms to a Henry & Ann Hough at neighbouring parishes which could be siblings. Not sure where you got a date of 1841 from? Was it the burial of an Ann Hough 1803 at Tarporley?

A Henry Hough of Broxton is buried at Bunbury c.1806 might be a possibility? Also Anne Hough wife of Henry Hough was buried at Bunbury 11 FEB 1810

hope this is worth you checking out
odessa
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 13:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information. The Ann Windsor was actually born in 1766 in Bunbury like you said. I spent hours yesterday pouring over parish records in an attempt to fit this Ann and this morning I discovered her real name was Hanna Windsor not Ann. No idea why it was shortened but it seems to happen a lot in my family. The 1741 was wrong like you said.
The George Hough born 1792 was actually born in Carden, Cheshire in 1792 and baptised in Tilston. I found that on a parish record today so that has solved that mystery. It really makes your brain work hard this family geneology sometimes. Thank you for looking.
Kind Regards

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hello mr pinkwhistle,

Have you looked at The Cheshire Parish Register Database for George Hough? The link is:

http://cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

There was a George Hough baptised in Tilston on 30 August 1789, son of George and Mary Hough. Residence shown as in Tilston.

Then there is the baptism of George Hough, son of Henry and Ann Hough that you have mentioned already. This does give his abode as Carden.

Just a possibility.

Offline mr pinkwhistle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information. It is the right George Hough from Carden and the one baptised in 1789 in Tilston is the same person according to the parish records after looking carefully. It is great to finally get that break as I have never been able to get back further than 1800 and I have now through that established a definitive link to the 1720s now so I am looking forward in tackling that line.
Thank you again.