Author Topic: Emily BERAN - Maiden Name  (Read 7662 times)

guest225400

Emily BERAN - Maiden Name
« on: Sunday 20 July 14 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,

When my great grandfather was over here in Cheshire from former Yugoslavia he met a woman, Emily. Once his wife died in former Yugoslavia, he came back and married Emily in 1953, and his children followed him after to Cheshire.

I've tried to find out the maiden name of Emily, however I can't find it out. My grandfather and his brothers don't know/can't remember her maiden name. I looked on many sites but can't find it out.

This is because when you look at the marriage it always comes up with Emily's surname as BERAN.

It sounds as if she changed her name before they married to look respectable, because BERAN is a extremely uncommon name in England and so her name would not already be BERAN.

As well as this, I believe she was married before before my great grandfather, but no one can remember who it was.

I don't know how to find out her maiden name before, and your help would be appreciated,

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emily BERAN - Maiden Name
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 July 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
So you are looking at the Emily Beran - Anton Beran Marriage? (sept 1953)

There are Beran names in England prior to that so it's not impossible for her to have wed a Beran before. Did they have any kids together?
did she bring any kids into the marriage?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 July 14 09:14 BST (UK) »
It looks as if Anton Beran was in England in 1911?
Born Bohemia?    Is this the same person?

No it's not!
Death: March qtr 2001
South Cheshire district    Register: B5B, District: 3411B, Entry: 299
Beran, Anthony              Date of Birth: 29th May 1913

Did Emily have any other family?
Brothers? Sisters? Children?

Emily's death:
August 2006
South Cheshire district    Register: D22B, District: 341/1D, Entry: 299
Beran, Emily                  Date of Birth: 11th September 1916
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 July 14 10:04 BST (UK) »
this is the form to request the marriage cert from 1953
Emily Beran to Anton Beran - Crewe Civil Marriage
you will notice to the right of both names it states - ANY OTHER SURNAME USED BEFORE THIS MARRIAGE
this box is blank ...which leads me to believe that Emily was a Beran and hadn`t been married before ?

http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/cgi/pma.cgi?date=1953&county=cheshire&reference=CC%3ACR%2F23%2F162&file=B&pos=41038&surname=BERAN&forename=Anton&area=CC

have you checked on www.freebmd.org.uk for a Beran to Emily 1953 backwards ?
ADDED....there are no marriages for a Beran to an Emily on freebmd ...so it looks like she was a Beran ...freebmd 1964 onwards has a few Beran births in Crewe ( where Emily married ) could these children belong to  Emilys brother ?.. can`t see them being children of Emily / Anton because in 1964 they would be 51 and 48 ??...no Beran children in Crewe from 1953 -1963
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

guest225400

« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 July 14 12:29 BST (UK) »
Emily and Anton didn't have any children together, however Anton already had 3 children from his first wife. The births from 1964 onwards is my grandfather's and both my great uncle's children - grandfather's brothers.

Unfortunaly I didn't know if Emily had any brothers or sisters.

Thank you,

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 July 14 12:44 BST (UK) »
If the births you mention are those in Crewe, their mother's maiden name is Bailey/Bayley!

FreeBMD again ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

guest225400

« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 July 14 13:05 BST (UK) »
The children's births mentioned is my mother and uncles, the mothers maiden name is BAYLEY because that it my grandmother's maiden name.

I don't know if you understand.

Anton was born in Yugoslavia/Germany/Austria - not sure - and married a woman called Cecilija. They had 3 children together - one of whom is my grandfather. Anton was taken as a prisoner of war to England where he met Emily. His wife died in 1953 in Yugoslavia with the 3 children. He married Emily the same year, and his child came to England soon after.

Emily and Anton had no children together.

Anton's 3 children all have families, and all of the Beran's found in the Crewe/Nantwich area are all part of my family.

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 July 14 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, Reece, I cannot find a birth in the period 1915 to 1917 for an Emily Beran. This then leads me to believe that maybe she wasn't born a Beran. Also, I cannot find a marriage between a male Beran and an Emily in the period 1926 to 1953 other than the one of Emily and Anton.
I agree wholeheartedly with Garstonite on this one. The only way to find out if Beran was an assumed name of Emily, or she had changed her name by deed pole, or had previously been married to a Beran (the later seems unlikely), you really do need a copy of the marriage certificate of Emily and Anton. You hopefully will be able to see who is named as Emily's father. Witness names might also give you some help.  Please let us all know on here what you find.
Regards
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness