Author Topic: Kilmuir: McPhees  (Read 9647 times)

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Kilmuir: McPhees
« on: Tuesday 20 December 05 11:33 GMT (UK) »
I am frustrated.
Peter Mac Phee, MacPhie and any other spelling is on the 1861 Census,unmarried. 1871 Census married to Jessie.
They were married in1866. His parents were Donald macPhee and Peggy Munro
JANET MacKinnon's parents were Charles MacKinnon and Anne Nicolson
Peter MacPhee died in1919 age84 which is approximately correct with the Census. Parents are listed as Donald macPhee and Peggy Munro
The only Death I can find for Jessie/janet is in 1923 age80, which also ties in with the Census. has parents listed as Charles Mackinnon and Anne Campbell.
The IGI records the birth of Janet MacKinnon in 1842 show her father as Charles MacKinnon and mother Anne and no surname.

Can this be the correct person or have I gone off the track somewhere.
She is shown on my Grandmother's marriage & death Certificates as Jessie McPhee on one and Jessie McPhie on the other M.S. MacKinnon

All records show them at Kilmuir.
Any suggestions gratefully received
WINI

Merry Christmas to all Rootschatters 
Gunn, Cree, Reid,McNeice, Munro, McPhee
Jackson, Gillies,Gebbie. McCredie, nicolson, McAskill,
MacKinnon,Morrison,Campbell,

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Kilmuir: McPhees
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 December 05 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Wini

It sounds to me as though you have the correct Janet.  Spelling, even as late as this, was not always consistent especially in some rural parts of Scotland.
I have a certificate from about the same time where the same family name has been spelled 4 different ways by the same Registrar.

Janet was often the given name with Jessie as a family name. that's what comes of following a naming tradition which could put 3 generations under the same roof with all 3 having the same forename!!!
If you are looking for Janet/Jessie's birth certificate on scotlandspeople take a note of all the variants you can think of for surname as well as given name, then tick them off as you try them. Failure to do this makes your head feel as though New Year has arrived early    :D

I think your on a winner here   ;D

Russell

1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 December 05 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wini

Here's a bizarre fact that I'm not sure if you've come across. I did a parent search on IGI for Peter's parents to see what other children they had had, siblings to Peter, and found actual extract entries from the OPRs for the christenings of what could be twins, Catherine and Mary, on the same day of 22 Feb 1845 in Kilmuir. When I did the same for Janet/Jessie's parents Charles MacKinnon and Anne NIcolson, I also got a double christening date on 10 Aug 1841 in Kilmuir for children Ann and Murdoch.  These were the only children showing for both sets of parents and all were actual records not submitted records.

Children showing for Peter MacPhee and Janet/Jessie MacKinnon are:
Donald 22 Jan 1867/Charles 24 June 1868/John 3 July 1869/Ann 7 April 1872/Samuel 3 June 1874. All born in Kilmuir.

Regards.
Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline runner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 December 05 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Although I agree that twins could be a possibility treat the IGI entry circumspectly.  No slur intended on the IGI accuracy of transcription  :-\ - simply that in some rural areas of Scotland they did not always baptise children immediately after birth. Some could be baptised a year nor so after when another child arrived. So the Baptismal dates are correct but the children could be a year or so apart in ages.
The best way of sorting that one out is to find a census return showing both children and compare recorded ages.
OK so the census returns were not very accurate but they do show reasonably accurate chidrens ages.
Sorry to put a damper on things but all my rellies are Scottish and I have grown used to the ideosyncracies of the Scottish system back then. I can't remember when they stopped charging parents for the privilige of baptising their children!!!!

Russell
1941-2016

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 December 05 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks folks.
Now I am more confused than ever.
The children are definitely correct for Peter and jessie. the problem is the 2 M..S. names for Jessie's mother.
Could it pe possible that on the marriage certificate it  shows Anne Nicolson and the death certificate as Campbell.
My grandmother was the Anne/ Annie
However there are no longer any relatives left to ask.
Is there anyone likely to be still alive in Skye who would remember any of them I remeber going to Skye to visit in the 1940's and I am sure the address was 1 Totscore. Any ideas how Icould contact someone there.

wini

Offline runner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 December 05 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Wini

Again a note of caution!  Deaths were registered sometimes by relatives who did not know the full name of the deceased. A son-in-law would know her married name but may not have had a clue what her maiden name was.  We have several death certificates with wrong entries. One bright spark even combined the names of mother-in-law with his own mother   :-[
That was my wife's side of the family of course!! ;)
Another thought is that Ann Campbell/Nicolson, if she was from fisher stock could have been married before. One of my rellies in Fife was drowned aged 26 leaving a wife and 2 children. Its a possibility??
Have you tried scotlandspeople for Peter & Janet/Jessie's marriage putting in only her forename?
then only the alternate surnames. If you can narow down possible parishes you should get a match.

The hard ones always give you a bigger buzz when you finally solve them

Russell
1941-2016

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 December 05 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Russell,
I know the feeling, when you crack one you feel great and then another problem comes along. It is all good fun and I will take your advice. Let you know how I get on.

wini

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 December 05 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Russell,
Thanks for your help. I think I have solved the problem of the different M.S for Jesssie McPhee/Mackinnon.
Her mother's M.S. was NICOLSON but her Grandmother was Mary CAMPBELL married to Lachlan MacKinnon.
wini

Offline runner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 December 05 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Wini  thats brilliant!!!!!

Now for the next brick wall?   ;)

Russell

1941-2016